Re: Newbie Question

  • geoffwoo99
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2011
      --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, Doug Boggess <davout89@...> wrote:

      I wanted one standard per non-Ottoman brigade to avoid a cluttered flagscape. For the Prussians I think I picked the liebfahne, but that purely a matter of taste.

      Ah! Yes, the well known Prussian Flag of Love! I presume you have a combat modifier for that unit's anti-war love-in stance?

      :o)
    • gozzaoz
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2011
        --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "geoffwoo99" <geoffwoo99@...> wrote:

        > --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, Doug Boggess <davout89@> wrote:
        > >
        > I wanted one standard per non-Ottoman brigade to avoid a cluttered flagscape. For the Prussians I think I picked the liebfahne, but that purely a matter of taste.
        >

        > Ah! Yes, the well known Prussian Flag of Love! I presume you have a combat modifier for that unit's anti-war love-in stance?
        >
        > :o)

        Nice joke there Geoff.
        A common mistake made by native English speakers switching out Lieb (Love) & Leib (Life). The inconsistency with the "I" before "E" rule in English contributes to this common mistake.
        My high school German class entrenched the German rule.

        In German "ie" = ee as in tree. "ei" = eye in pronunciation.

        Although knowing the rule doesn't stop the mix up between leib & lieb.
        My only suggestion is that leib sounds somewhat similar to life.

        Regards,

        Grant
      • Doug Boggess
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 3, 2011
          Meine deustche iste schlecht (and yes I imagine I have mispelled my most useful and used phrase in German). And my Prussians are very loving people.

          To: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com
          From: gozzaoz@...
          Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 03:38:36 +0000
          Subject: [NapoleonicFireandFury] Re: Newbie Question

          --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "geoffwoo99" <geoffwoo99@...> wrote:

          > --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, Doug Boggess <davout89@> wrote:
          > >
          > I wanted one standard per non-Ottoman brigade to avoid a cluttered flagscape. For the Prussians I think I picked the liebfahne, but that purely a matter of taste.
          >

          > Ah! Yes, the well known Prussian Flag of Love! I presume you have a combat modifier for that unit's anti-war love-in stance?
          >
          > :o)

          Nice joke there Geoff.
          A common mistake made by native English speakers switching out Lieb (Love) & Leib (Life). The inconsistency with the "I" before "E" rule in English contributes to this common mistake.
          My high school German class entrenched the German rule.

          In German "ie" = ee as in tree. "ei" = eye in pronunciation.

          Although knowing the rule doesn't stop the mix up between leib & lieb.
          My only suggestion is that leib sounds somewhat similar to life.

          Regards,

          Grant

        • Philip Ball
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 12, 2011
            Hi,

            I'm new to AoE having so far played about 4 games, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.
            I've searched the discussions but can't find an answer to this question:

            It says on page 49 of the rules that infantry can never charge cavalry.

            If infantry gain a breakthrough but their path is blocked by cavalry, do they:
            a) Charge them.
            b) Have to move towards the nearest unit of infantry/Artillery
            c) Pull up short of the cavalry

            any advice would be appreciated.

            ===
            Posted through Grouply
            Create your own group!
            www.grouply.com

            .. . .. . .. . .. .. ... .... . . . ... . .. ... .

            type_D

            . ... .. . ... . . . .... ... .. .. . .. . .. . ..

          • ronald_lange@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 13, 2011
              As I understand it, if there are no foot targets (infantry/artillery) you must stop. You can still occupy the enemy position (foot or artillery that broke).

              Charging cavalry is not allowed but was done historically at least once that I know of (One of the Russian Guard regiments at Borodino sharged a French Cuirassier brigade).

              --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, Philip Ball <philr.ball@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I'm new to AoE having so far played about 4 games, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.
              > I've searched the discussions but can't find an answer to this question:
              >
              > It says on page 49 of the rules that infantry can never charge cavalry.
              >
              > If infantry gain a breakthrough but their path is blocked by cavalry, do they:
              > a) Charge them.
              > b) Have to move towards the nearest unit of infantry/Artillery
              > c) Pull up short of the cavalry
              >
              > any advice would be appreciated.
              >
              > ===
              > Posted through Grouply
              > Create your own group!
              > www.grouply.com
              >
              > .. . .. . .. . .. .. ... .... . . . ... . .. ... .

              > type_D
              >
              > . ... .. . ... . . . .... ... .. .. . .. . .. . ..

            • Drew Jarman
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011
                Advance to NEAREST enemy it could otherwise contact and if this is cavalry stop at 1” range.

                IMHO

                Drew

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011
                  Yup.

                  Warmest regards,

                  /// BILL ///

                  Wilbur E Gray
                  Colonel, US Army (Ret)
                  AOE, PSS, HMGS WFG+

                  http://ageofeagles.grouply.com

                  "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

                  To: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com
                  From: andrewjarman@...
                  Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 08:24:52 +0000
                  Subject: Re: [NapoleonicFireandFury] Newbie Question

                    From: ronald_lange@...
                    Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 03:58:20 +0000

                    As I understand it, if there are no foot targets (infantry/artillery) you must stop. You can still occupy the enemy position (foot or artillery that broke).

                    Charging cavalry is not allowed but was done historically at least once that I know of (One of the Russian Guard regiments at Borodino sharged a French Cuirassier brigade).

                    --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, Philip Ball <philr.ball@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,

                    > I'm new to AoE having so far played about 4 games, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

                    > I've searched the discussions but can't find an answer to this question:

                    > It says on page 49 of the rules that infantry can never charge cavalry.

                    > If infantry gain a breakthrough but their path is blocked by cavalry, do they:

                    > a) Charge them.

                    > b) Have to move towards the nearest unit of infantry/Artillery

                    > c) Pull up short of the cavalry

                    > any advice would be appreciated.

                    > ===

                    > Posted through Grouply

                    > Create your own group!

                    > www.grouply.com

                    > .. . .. . .. . .. .. ... .... . . . ... . .. ... .

                    > type_D

                    > . ... .. . ... . . . .... ... .. .. . .. . .. . ..

                  • Drew Jarman
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011
                      Forgot to add if you check back in the archives you will see loads of stupid
                      questions all asked by me as I learnt the rules.....

                      Drew

                      From: ronald_lange@...
                      Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 03:58:20 +0000

                      wrote:

                      > Hi,

                      > I'm new to AoE having so far played about 4 games, so please excuse me if
                      > this is a stupid question.

                      > I've searched the discussions but can't find an answer to this question:

                      > It says on page 49 of the rules that infantry can never charge cavalry.

                      > If infantry gain a breakthrough but their path is blocked by cavalry, do
                      > they:

                      > a) Charge them.

                      > b) Have to move towards the nearest unit of infantry/Artillery

                      > c) Pull up short of the cavalry

                      > any advice would be appreciated.

                      > ===

                      > Posted through Grouply

                      > Create your own group!

                      > www.grouply.com

                      > .. . .. . .. . .. .. ... .... . . . ... . .. ... .

                      > type_D

                      > . ... .. . ... . . . .... ... .. .. . .. . .. . ..

                    • Roose Bolton
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 28 2:08 PM
                        Hi,

                        1) Where actually in the rules does it list who is impluse, column, linear and what years?

                        2) Looking over the scenarios, are the Dutch in the Quatre-Bras scenario REALLY supposed to be impluse. Everything I've read makes them sound awful even if Conscript I can't help feel that they're not that well trained.

                        RB
                      • Drew Jarman
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                          The various ratings and training details are on page 31.

                          The Quatre Bras scenario is designed as an introduction and is written to give a balanced game.

                          The new Dutch-Belgian Army was formed in mid to late 1814 and was supposed to follow the British method of training. Some of the soldiers were formally fighting for the French and others were part of the Austrian Legion that was then transferred to the Netherlands.

                          Personally I doubt if they were even well trained enough to skirmish properly let alone be impulse rated. I would have rated some of the brigades as Irregular Columnar Conscript [no Sk] too, especially the ones with a greater proportion of freshly raised Militia battalions. I would rate the Nassauers higher than the rest though as they were three very good regiments. so Impulse Regular Sk is right on the button for them.

                          The ratings are subjective and if you check the scenario book for 1813-14 the Spanish are still Conscript despite being the best fed, led, equipped and trained army they had and had been fighting alongside Wellington almost continuously since 1813 and Vitoria.

                          If you don’t agree with the specific scenario design alter it to better reflect your understanding of the period. FYI check the French guard units and their Fresh,/Worn/Spent levels and compare them to the rules chart as I am sure they were altered too.

                          Drew

                          1) Where actually in the rules does it list who is impluse, column, linear and what years?

                          2) Looking over the scenarios, are the Dutch in the Quatre-Bras scenario REALLY supposed to be impluse. Everything I've read makes them sound awful even if Conscript I can't help feel that they're not that well trained.

                          RB

                        • Allan Mountford
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                            Hi Roose

                            Page 31 right hand column. This information could usefully be added to the
                            Unit Data Charts on page 85 et seq.

                            - Allan

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                              Hi Roose,
                              In the rule book, it is towards the back, I think after the enclosed scenarios but before the quick ref sheets.

                              The Netherlanders got a bad press at Waterloo by historians. I won’t say who because the breadth of the subject is vast, and rather scandalous at times, others down to not reading accounts in French, Dutch and German. The negative comments appearing within a few years of Waterloo and persisting that doesn’t match with Wellington’s comments recorded at the time, about them, nor does it match their apparent achievements written by Netherlander soldiers.

                              Apparently Perponcher’s Div was on the forward side of the ridge at the beginning of the battle, and faced the full French Grand Battery – some debate as to whether this is exactly what happened, secondly who ordered it, lastly why Netherlander’s should be penalised for being poor troops under such heavy fire.

                              Secondly Tripp’s Netherlanders Cavalry Division – historians have claimed they were useless, and the inference is a comparison with the Portuguese and Spanish Cavalry “Worse than useless”. Actually Netherlanders heavy losses due to just that. Participated in charges against the French, suffered some loss, on the retreat the French speaking Netherlands cavalry, 1 regiment in green uniforms similar to French Chasseurs á Cheval got shot at by Brits.
                              Wellington actually praised the Netherlanders cavalry which seems out of place if they were “worse than useless”).

                              Chassé’s 3rd Netherlands Div was held in reserve until about the time of the French attack of the Middle Guard. He on his own volition, moved at least a brigade to support the Brunswick and either Brit or Hanoverian btns that had just become disordered, and were beginning to fall back. They didn’t rout, but it might have helped to have some Dutch go in. Funnily enough most Brit sided accounts of the attack refer to the repulse of 1 of the Middle Guard formations, by a few btns with infamous “Maitland, Now’s your time” to a Guards Battalion or 2 and some Brit Light Infantry Btn

                              Most of the Netherlanders’ senior officers that I am familiar with, are also found in French orbats from at least 1807, Chassé, Tripp, Merlen and a few others I can’t recall cos I haven’t been looking at orbats much recently.
                              Perponcher, and the Netherlands staff officer who helped pin the Netherlanders down and draw in Brunswick, Brit and Hanoverian are the only ones I haven’t noticed earlier.

                              I realise I have included some potted history, and I may have some inaccuracies above, there’s no need to debate my interpretations, I could dive into my books and refresh my memory on some Nap online sites if I wanted.

                              I merely wished to emphasis that to consider the Netherlanders as Conscript quality in Age of Eagles is not a solid case. Nassauers and Brunswick seem to have been the Conscripts of the Anglo-Allied Army, their populations decimated by Napoleon and his 1809-1812 Campaigns. Indeed it is written, that at Waterloo, these three states had mostly young soldiers – I presume commented by others at Waterloo.

                            • mpawelski@daubert.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                                1) Linear, Columnar & Impulse categories are explained on page 31.

                                2) The Dutch at QB were actually VERY stubborn defenders and held up the
                                French advance for sometime until they finally gave way under the
                                increasing pressure. Especially the Dutch chasseurs (light infantry).

                                Mark

                                "Roose Bolton" <roosebolton@...>
                                Sent by: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com
                                04/28/2011 04:08 PM
                                Please respond to
                                NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com

                                NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com
                                cc

                                Subject
                                [NapoleonicFireandFury] Newbie Question

                                Hi,

                                1) Where actually in the rules does it list who is impluse, column, linear
                                and what years?

                                2) Looking over the scenarios, are the Dutch in the Quatre-Bras scenario
                                REALLY supposed to be impluse. Everything I've read makes them sound awful
                                even if Conscript I can't help feel that they're not that well trained.

                                RB

                              • Michael Brown
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 6, 2011
                                  1) Page 31

                                  2) You as the person running the game, are free to change values as you see fit. Look for the Imperial Guard Easter egg...

                                  Michael Brown
                                  mwsaber6@...