RE: [NapoleonicFireandFury] Re: Base Sizes

  • Wilbur Gray
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1 4:36 AM
      BTW, the 28 mm charts are available for free on the Downloads page at the AOE Website http://ageofeagles.grouply.com
      Also BTW, the charts for Age of Honor (Age of Reason Fire & Fury, just released for preorder with a 15% discount, ahem) has both 15 mm and 25/28 mm included numbers for play.

      Warmest regards,

      /// BILL ///

      Wilbur E Gray
      Colonel, US Army (Ret)
      AOE, PSS, HMGS WFG+

      http://ageofeagles.grouply.com

      "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

      EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
      Join me

      To: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com
      From: mgm365@...
      Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:25:57 +0000
      Subject: [NapoleonicFireandFury] Re: Base Sizes

      This is very useful ! But tell me, do you also alter the rates for movement/fire in the rules, or use "as is" ?

      Thanks

      --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "Martinisword" <martinisword9@...> wrote:

      > i game in 25/28mm Napoleonics. since all of the combat is based on the

      > number of stands' bases and figures, it really does not matter if the bases

      > are not exactly the same width.

      > for my French i base 40mm wide by 50mm deep. for the British i base 50mm

      > wide by 40mm deep. all cavalry is 50mm wide by necessary depth. artillery is

      > based pretty much on 75mm - 100mm wide by necessary depth. all others are

      > based pretty much like the French or the British, depending on the army.

    • Daryl Gibson
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2 12:15 AM
        Gentlemen,

        Squares - can a square fire at full effect in any direction? (I realise it
        is only 1 FP per stand)

        Streams - Cavalry charges infantry at under 5 inches. Infantry is defending
        a stream. Do the cavalry get the +2 for charging infantry in the 'open' at
        under 5 inches. I know the cavalry is disordered and the infantry get +1
        for defending a 'ford'. On that point is there a definition of open
        terrain?

        Supported line and disorder - An infantry brigade in line is disordered as a
        result of shooting in opponents phase - your phase; you attempt and fail to
        rally (remains disordered) a second friendly brigade moves up behind the
        disordered brigade to support it for whatever reason - is this second
        brigade automatically disordered because it is supporting a disordered line?

        Thanks for any assistance

        DC
      • Wilbur Gray
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3 5:52 AM
          Here you, but remember I am only the author so other s may have better interpretations :):
          1. Square - Form the square precisely as indicated by the book illustrations. When done, count FPs by individual stand, ie, if the stand has the arc of fire, it can shoot. If, say there is a stand in a second rank turned in the opposite direction, it would not have a good field of fire against the same target and could not shoot.
          2. Cavalry charge - I could see two ways to go here, but since page 14 defines favorable ground as including defending behind a river or stream, my interpretation is that the cavalry does not get the +2. See page 14 for what constitutes favorable ground and play the game accordingly, though with a pinch of common sense as a nice garnishment.
          3. Supported line - no, it is NOT automatically Disordered.
          Hope this helps and sorry for being so tardy getting back to you. Sometimes on the weekend I just like to vegetate and not look at a PC, least not much.

          Warmest regards,

          /// BILL ///

          Wilbur E Gray
          Colonel, US Army (Ret)
          AOE, PSS, HMGS WFG+

          To: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 15 , May 3 6:59 AM
            My good fellow:

            I cannot speak with any authority on any of these matters as I am a neophite player, but I would like to put forth my read on the stream issue. If it is decided prior to game start that there is a movment cost for fording said stream than I would say that the terrain is not to be considered 'open' and therfore the cavalry would not gain the +2 modifier.

            My take on squares is that it is a defensive formation and should be able to fire in any direction as long as it is strickly defensive in nature.

            Disordered issue...sorry I can't reason through this issue I cannot offer an answer.

            best of luck

            --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Gibson" <daryl@...> wrote:

            > Gentlemen,
            >
            > Squares - can a square fire at full effect in any direction? (I realise it
            > is only 1 FP per stand)
            >
            > Streams - Cavalry charges infantry at under 5 inches. Infantry is defending
            > a stream. Do the cavalry get the +2 for charging infantry in the 'open' at
            > under 5 inches. I know the cavalry is disordered and the infantry get +1
            > for defending a 'ford'. On that point is there a definition of open
            > terrain?
            >
            > Supported line and disorder - An infantry brigade in line is disordered as a
            > result of shooting in opponents phase - your phase; you attempt and fail to
            > rally (remains disordered) a second friendly brigade moves up behind the
            > disordered brigade to support it for whatever reason - is this second
            > brigade automatically disordered because it is supporting a disordered line?
            >
            > Thanks for any assistance
            >
            > DC

          • Daryl Gibson
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3 2:41 PM
              Thanks very much Bill

              Think I mentioned a while back that I put a demo game on at my local club
              and recruited 5 people to AOE (two of the guys rebased 4 armies between them
              within the week!) - since that time another 4 have joined the ranks and
              interest is still growing.

              Regards DC