Re: [NapoleonicFireandFury] Re: Live rules query!

  • allan.mountford@virgin.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
      Thanks Anthony - I see your point. The difficulty in this particular example is that it is impossible for any of the defending French infantry to avoid being contacted as they are overlapped by the Austrian cavalry conducting the breakthrough charge.

      The sketch, below, shows two French infantry brigades each in line of battle separated by approximately 1" with their left flanks exposed. The Austrian cavalry are in masse approximately 1.5" from the French flank.

      FF FF
      FF FF
      FF FF
      FF FF

      AAAAAAAAAA
      AAAAAAAAAA

      Logic tells me that the Austrians should be engaging both French units.

      - Allan

      Sent using BlackBerry� from Orange

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
        Yes its MASSIVE....but if youre going to do Marlborough...you dont do small

        --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, Wilbur Gray <hmgs1@...> wrote:

        > Sure, I can do that.
        >
        > You DO realize how big this battle is, right?
        >
        > Warmest regards,
        >
        > /// BILL ///
        >
        > Wilbur E Gray
        > Colonel, US Army (Ret)
        > AOE, PSS, HMGS WFG+
        >
        > http://ageofeagles.com
        >

        > "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides
        >

        > EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
        > Join me
        >
        > To: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com
        > From: kronos501@...
        > Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:53:08 +0000
        > Subject: [NapoleonicFireandFury] Re: Malplaquet 1709 at Fall In 2009

        > Since Malplaquet isnt listed as one of the scenarios to be included in the new Rule/Scenario book....can we hope to see the scenario listed here or at ageofeagles.com sometime soon?
        >

        > Steve
        >

        > --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, Wilbur Gray <hmgs1@> wrote:
        >

        > > Folks,
        >

        > > Just a reminder to stop by if you are attending this HMGS con, the last in Gettysburg before moving to Lancaster next year. The game will use my soon to be published Age of Honor (Lace Wars Fire & Fury) expansion module for the Age of Eagles rules set. If you'd like to see how they play, here is a good chance to do so.
        >

        > > The PEL entry is:
        >

        > > Event S150 Marloborough Defeated! Malplaquet, 11 September 1709
        >
        > > Start: 11 AM End: 5 PM, No. Players: 8, Scale: 15mm, Period: Age of Reason, Rules: Age of Honor - Lace Wars Fire & Fury, GM: Bill Gray, Sponsor: A/B Eureka
        >
        > > Corporal John was 3/0 until he met French buzz saw Marshal Claude Hector Villars at Malplaquet. The Allies won the field, but lost the campaign with over 24,000 casualties to a rejuvenated French army. Come replay the battle that cost the Duke his job with over 180,000 of the best dressed soldiers this side of a Napoleonic dress ball. Great fun for all.
        >

        > > Warmest regards,
        >

        > > /// BILL ///
        >

        > > Wilbur E Gray
        >
        > > Colonel, US Army (Ret)
        >
        > > AOE, PSS, HMGS WFG+
        >

        > > http://ageofeagles.com
        >

        > > "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

        > > EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
        >
        > > Join me

      • Wilbur Gray

          From: kronos501@...
          Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 12:47:21 +0000
          Subject: [NapoleonicFireandFury] Re: Malplaquet 1709 at Fall In 2009

          Yes its MASSIVE....but if youre going to do Marlborough...you dont do small

          --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, Wilbur Gray <hmgs1@...> wrote:

          > Sure, I can do that.

          > You DO realize how big this battle is, right?

          > Warmest regards,

          > /// BILL ///

          > Wilbur E Gray

          > Colonel, US Army (Ret)

          > AOE, PSS, HMGS WFG+

          > http://ageofeagles.com

          > "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

          > EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD

          > Join me

          > To: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com

          > From: kronos501@...

          > Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:53:08 +0000

          > Subject: [NapoleonicFireandFury] Re: Malplaquet 1709 at Fall In 2009

          > Since Malplaquet isnt listed as one of the scenarios to be included in the new Rule/Scenario book....can we hope to see the scenario listed here or at ageofeagles.com sometime soon?

          > Steve

          > --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, Wilbur Gray <hmgs1@> wrote:

          > > Folks,

          > > Just a reminder to stop by if you are attending this HMGS con, the last in Gettysburg before moving to Lancaster next year. The game will use my soon to be published Age of Honor (Lace Wars Fire & Fury) expansion module for the Age of Eagles rules set. If you'd like to see how they play, here is a good chance to do so.

          > > The PEL entry is:

          > > Event S150 Marloborough Defeated! Malplaquet, 11 September 1709

          > > Start: 11 AM End: 5 PM, No. Players: 8, Scale: 15mm, Period: Age of Reason, Rules: Age of Honor - Lace Wars Fire & Fury, GM: Bill Gray, Sponsor: A/B Eureka

          > > Corporal John was 3/0 until he met French buzz saw Marshal Claude Hector Villars at Malplaquet. The Allies won the field, but lost the campaign with over 24,000 casualties to a rejuvenated French army. Come replay the battle that cost the Duke his job with over 180,000 of the best dressed soldiers this side of a Napoleonic dress ball. Great fun for all.

          > > Warmest regards,

          > > /// BILL ///

          > > Wilbur E Gray

          > > Colonel, US Army (Ret)

          > > AOE, PSS, HMGS WFG+

          > > http://ageofeagles.com

          > > "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

          > > EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD

          > > Join me

        • rogers13667
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
            Is it not the case that whichever of the French brigade the Austrians chose to target the other will count as participating by virtue of the Austrians being within one inch and the whole brigade being overlapped, or as incidental stands if the brigade is overlapped but only up to halfway. If one can be targetted without overlapping the other and the Austrians are taking the shortest route, then the French brigades were not equidistant in the first place (This all makes perfect sense to me but I am awaiting a mathematician to point out the errors).

            If in doubt, I agree with Anthony - roll a dice.

            Rick