Re: [NapoleonicFireandFury] Scarlet paint acrylics

  • Michael J Rieder
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 3, 2009
      You know, when I am painting something bright I prime in white - for things like facings, I usually paint them white first then the bright colour

      Michael Rieder

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 3, 2009
        I prime black the, undercoat white for the very light colours [whites, light yellows etc] but the last thing I need is for the white to bleed through the red turning it pink.....

        You know, when I am painting something bright I prime in white - for things like facings, I usually paint them white first then the bright colour

        Michael Rieder

        > Tamiya paint didnt even realise they were still available in the UK. When they first came out they were total rubbish I reember that first time round.
        >
        > Using red well yes and no, Scarlet is red with a noticable orange hue. The British officers had a noticable brighter coat colour than the crimson of the other ranks but I digress.
        >
        > I have matt black primed the figures but this brand of paint just does not cover well in this colour, their yellow is the same. I had to apply three coats to get acceptable finish that wasnt translucent. Since I never paint British redcoats I forgot just how bad this paint is.
        >
        > My painting style does not allow for loads of different colours of the same hue. I really dont have the patience. I block colour highlight a tiny bit and fine black wash the men and chestnut wash the horses.
        >
        > My 1806 Saxon Garde du Korps are nearly done now, just the faces of the men and horses to detail and then apply the wash before setting them aside for the paint to cure fully.
        >
        > The Karabiners are next and they do have scarlet coats, I am on the 2nd coat so far :-)
        >
        > Guess I shall have to cast around for vallejho, or some of the other brands myself.
        >
        > Drew

      • Mike Leese
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 3, 2009
          The last Brits in 15mm I painted using Humbrol military colours
          White undercoat made it too orange.

          grey under coat (same shade as overalls) made it too dull,didn't look right.

          If I'm painting a division, I want to paint out of the can and not mix colours as I paint

          Someone I met at a show suggested White toned down with black.
          I suppose he meant a pale sea grey ?
          O/R Brits should be Brick Red (but what colour brick ?)

          I'm going to try Foundry 3 colour system for my Campaign Game Miniatures Waterloo Brits

          As we all perceive colour differently depending on ambient light and our vision quality I would think this means any shade we are happy with personally.

          Mike L.

          You know, when I am painting something bright I prime in white - for things like facings, I usually paint them white first then the bright colour

          Michael Rieder

          > Tamiya paint didnt even realise they were still available in the UK. When they first came out they were total rubbish I reember that first time round.
          >
          > Using red well yes and no, Scarlet is red with a noticable orange hue. The British officers had a noticable brighter coat colour than the crimson of the other ranks but I digress.
          >
          > I have matt black primed the figures but this brand of paint just does not cover well in this colour, their yellow is the same. I had to apply three coats to get acceptable finish that wasnt translucent. Since I never paint British redcoats I forgot just how bad this paint is.
          >
          > My painting style does not allow for loads of different colours of the same hue. I really dont have the patience. I block colour highlight a tiny bit and fine black wash the men and chestnut wash the horses.
          >
          > My 1806 Saxon Garde du Korps are nearly done now, just the faces of the men and horses to detail and then apply the wash before setting them aside for the paint to cure fully.
          >
          > The Karabiners are next and they do have scarlet coats, I am on the 2nd coat so far :-)
          >
          > Guess I shall have to cast around for vallejho, or some of the other brands myself.
          >
          > Drew

        • Clive Edmonds
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 3, 2009
            Derek

            I have used a pot of scarlet acrylic paint made by Humbrol for about 8 years now (same pot !!) and I have painted hundreds of British with this and it looks great.

            Incidentally I always undercoat every figure in white , I always ensure it dries for 24 hours before applying colours and I have never ever have the white run into it.

            I highlight the folds in scarlet tunics in a tan brown.

            Always worked for me and always looked great finished.

            Regards

            Clive

            To: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com
            From: andrewjarman@...
            Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:51:57 +0100

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 4, 2009
              Clive

              Is that Humbrol 5060 Red?

              Whilst its all personal preference that is not scarlet nor crimson and not suitable to my needs for my Saxons.

              Having just looked through my back stock of acrylics [I have at least 100 tubs etc still to open] theres no scarlet :-( plenty of 5077 Prussian blue though :-) Hurrah !

              Drew

              From: andrewjarman@...
              Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:51:57 +0100

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 4, 2009
                Drew:

                I agree - I find you have to let the white get very, very dry

                Michael Rieder

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 4, 2009
                  Hi Drew

                  NO - it is Humbrol 60 Matt Scarlet.

                  It is a line called Humbrol Supper Hobby Acrylics.

                  I think if you can find it , it is a perfect scarlet.

                  Clive

                  To: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com

                  From: andrewjarman@...
                  Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:51:57 +0100

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 4, 2009
                    Clive

                    Ah yes Humbrol 60/5060 "Scarlet" which is not much like scarlet either. I have some pots of that which I use as a bright red colour. Looks like its going to have to be Vallejo for me. I have the original Humbrol colour chart at home with the other makers alternatives when they discontinued tons of their colours. The 50 in the number indicated it was the large sized pot which I had forgotten about.

                    I also have about 200 pots of the enamel authenticolours too I must have a sort out with a view to selling them on one day. Funnily enough I have their British Scarlet and British Crimson which I used to paint my old 25mm Brits back in the day and I can assure you the enamel scarlet is nothing like the acrylic scarlet in colour, shade or brightness.

                    Drew

                    To: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com

                    From: andrewjarman@...
                    Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:51:57 +0100

                  • RG1066@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 4, 2009
                      I wonder if an option to change the basics on how columnar/linear/impulse infantry interact might be interesting.? What if everybody got 2 fire points per infantry stand 2.5 for two rank, but columnar got a -1 drm on the fire table but +1 on the maneuver roll, linear got no mod and their lower movement rate, and impulse got a +1 to manuever and no mod to fire or you could?instead of the -1 for columnar fire give a +1 drm to impulse and linear fire?but give columar/impulse a +1 drm in close combat vs linear.??I?think a lot of columanar infantry?deployed in lines when defending or?even when they got close to the enemy when attacking.? I remember years ago?reading a book called "Bayonets of the Republic that analized the French army of the North from 1792 to whenever and the majority of the time battalions engaged the enemy they were in line.

                      Rich Gause?

                    • Clive Edmonds
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 5, 2009
                        Drew

                        the scarlet I have is acrylic NOT enamel. And yes it was in a larger pot than the older traditional humbrol paints.

                        I find the key is the white undercoat. Then slightly water down the scarlet.

                        Clive

                        To: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com

                        To: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com

                        From: andrewjarman@...
                        Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:51:57 +0100

                        I prime black the, undercoat white for the very light colours [whites, light yellows etc] but the last thing I need is for the white to bleed through the red turning it pink.....

                        You know, when I am painting something bright I prime in white - for things like facings, I usually paint them white first then the bright colour

                        Michael Rieder

                        > Tamiya paint didnt even realise they were still available in the UK. When they first came out they were total rubbish I reember that first time round.
                        >
                        > Using red well yes and no, Scarlet is red with a noticable orange hue. The British officers had a noticable brighter coat colour than the crimson of the other ranks but I digress.
                        >
                        > I have matt black primed the figures but this brand of paint just does not cover well in this colour, their yellow is the same. I had to apply three coats to get acceptable finish that wasnt translucent. Since I never paint British redcoats I forgot just how bad this paint is.
                        >
                        > My painting style does not allow for loads of different colours of the same hue. I really dont have the patience. I block colour highlight a tiny bit and fine black wash the men and chestnut wash the horses.
                        >
                        > My 1806 Saxon Garde du Korps are nearly done now, just the faces of the men and horses to detail and then apply the wash before setting them aside for the paint to cure fully.
                        >
                        > The Karabiners are next and they do have scarlet coats, I am on the 2nd coat so far :-)
                        >
                        > Guess I shall have to cast around for vallejho, or some of the other brands myself.
                        >
                        > Drew

                      • captainchook02
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 5, 2009
                          --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, RG1066@... wrote:

                          > I wonder if an option to change the basics on how columnar/linear/impulse infantry interact might be interesting.? What if everybody got 2 fire points per infantry stand 2.5 for two rank, but columnar got a -1 drm on the fire table but +1 on the maneuver roll, linear got no mod and their lower movement rate, and impulse got a +1 to manuever and no mod to fire or you could?instead of the -1 for columnar fire give a +1 drm to impulse and linear fire?but give columar/impulse a +1 drm in close combat vs linear.??I?think a lot of columanar infantry?deployed in lines when defending or?even when they got close to the enemy when attacking.? I remember years ago?reading a book called "Bayonets of the Republic that analized the French army of the North from 1792 to whenever and the majority of the time battalions engaged the enemy they were in line.
                          >
                          > Rich Gause?

                          Having only played two games of AoE but having played other rules systems I humbly write the following.
                          It does seem somewhat counterintuitive for the 1809 Austrians to have altered their doctrine (in the wargame sense) to Columnar as opposed to Linear. Yes, they do get to manoeuvre better, but at the expense of lost fire power. In defense where they might want to hold a feature they are now at a decided disadvantage. At this time the Austrian army was able to manoeuvre in column (perhaps not as well as the French and their leaders somewhat less decisive)and fire in line. I accept hat poorly trained formations and the later armies (allied and French) with a large proportion of conscripts were truely Columnar.

                          This leaves us with a few options.
                          1/ The (1809) Austrians become Impulse (although this is probably giving them too much credit).
                          2/ Make them linear.
                          3/ Keep them columnar with the ability to act as line in defense.

                          Likewise, the British could make use of columns but, unless attacking a built up area almost always were in line. They, more than any other army kept to the older linear tactics. As much as I am an Anglophile, I cannot see them being Impulse infantry. Perhaps they should retain the tactical movement bonus of column but have an actual movement rate of line?

                          Please don't get me wrong. I think the rules play well but there do seem to be some anomalies.

                          Anthony
                        • COL (R) Bill Gray
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 6, 2009
                            Anthony,

                            What Columnar actually represents is your Option No 3, with the 1 FP per stand an AVERAGE between offensive (column) and defensive (line) musketry.

                            If you do decide to go that route, BE CAREFUL. A three stand Austrian gets 2 FP per stand if Linear and should get only 1/3 FP per stand if attacking in column (only one of six companies forward). I decided on the 1 point average because I'm not sure folks want to continually calculate that, and I also thought it tedious to determine whether a unit was actually defending or not.

                            Regards, Bill Gray