Re: [NapoleonicFireandFury] one more post about columnar infantry

  • Jan Spoor
    Message 1 of 81 , Jun 29, 2009
      On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Michael Brown<mwSaber6@...> wrote:

      > I was referring to the Lack of causalities.

      Ah, OK. We'll have to agree to disagree then.To me that makes no sense.

      > To make a difference did not
      > "the Master" resort to more guns or maneuver? I think you'd get the same
      > with two players of linear armies, no one would want to close into all that
      > firepower. Stand off at 5 inches and stare at each other <grin>

      But that's demonstrably not what you get with two linear armies in
      this game, or in real life. You get casualties. And you got casualties
      when two columnar armies fought each other in real life too. You just
      don't get it in the game, which suggests to me that something about
      this aspect of the game, which seems to work well otherwise, is
      broken.

      Jan
    • Allan F Mountford
      Message 81 of 81 , Jul 8, 2009
        Phil

        Your first assumption is correct, so the numbers are less useful than they might appear at first.

        Most of the routed brigades were small cavalry units. Again from memory I would have suggested that the best part of two-thirds of the 13,050 were actual casualties from fire or close combat.

        I am planning our next AoE game to start in a few weeks. It is likely to be the southern sector of the first day of Leipzig (or Wachau if you like). I'll make a point of recording losses by type and post the result.

        - Allan