Re: [NapoleonicFireandFury] Rule query: Declaring movement into Bayonet & Sabre

  • Allan F Mountford
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      (1) When dicing for Brigade Tactical Movement, when does a player have to declare an attempt to move his Brigade into contact with an enemy Brigade - before or after the die roll?

      (2) If he has to declare before the die roll and the die roll only permits a half move does the player have to attempt to contact the previously designated enemy Brigade?

      - Allan

    • valmy92
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
        Since no one else has chimed in, I'll give it a shot. My
        understanding is that the only time it is REQUIRED is for disordered
        cavalry since they get a -3 modifier on the maneuver chart if
        attempting to charge. Otherwise, roll 'em and see what you get, then
        decide. But, you have to move the unit before you roll for the next
        one, so you don't know what the whole side gets to do before you make
        decisions.
        Phil

        --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "Allan F Mountford"
        <allan.mountford@...> wrote:

        > (1) When dicing for Brigade Tactical Movement, when does a player
        have to declare an attempt to move his Brigade into contact with an
        enemy Brigade - before or after the die roll?

        > (2) If he has to declare before the die roll and the die roll only
        permits a half move does the player have to attempt to contact the
        previously designated enemy Brigade?

        > - Allan

      • Patrick Berkebile
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
          Good question. Despite my limited experience we play that you declare
          and then roll. The resulting die roll has a significant impact on the
          game, especially when a full maneaver is not executed, charge, cahnge
          formation, etc... And for me it just reflects what a commander would
          like to do only to find the troops think otherwise.

          Overall, I believe that declaring first and then dicing adds to the fog
          of war and forces the commander to make a decision and live with the
          consequences. Just my two cents. Would like to see what others thinks
          as well. Cheers. pb