Re: [NapoleonicFireandFury] Re: Flags

  • Jesper Asmussen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
      Thanks for all of you for your responses.

      I have made a revalue of warflag.com, I rescaled the flags in Coral draw and printed theme out on my Canon BJC-620 printer. The final product seems a little blurry but useable and I think with good quality paper and hopefully with an investment in a new printer it will be the future for me.

      How do you all treat your flags after they have been printed out?

      I varnished the flag, but the varnish seems to make the red printer ink run, possible just me but it looked like the flags had a red shine, after I had varnished it.

      Cheers

      Jesper Asmussen

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
        --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@y..., "Jesper Asmussen" <ja-gqg@p...> wrote:
        > Thanks for all of you for your responses.
        >
        > I have made a revalue of warflag.com, I rescaled the flags in Coral
        draw and printed theme out on my Canon BJC-620 printer. The final
        product seems a little blurry but useable and I think with good
        quality paper and hopefully with an investment in a new printer it
        will be the future for me.

        > How do you all treat your flags after they have been printed out?
        >
        > I varnished the flag, but the varnish seems to make the red printer
        ink run, possible just me but it looked like the flags had a red
        shine, after I had varnished it.

        > Cheers
        >
        > Jesper Asmussen

        I've got an Epson C80 printer (2880 dpi) and use Coreldraw. I output
        the flags on Photo quality matte paper. I trim the flag down and then
        put preliminary bends and folds in the flag to simulate wind blowing.
        I then coat both sides of the inside with slightly watered down white
        glue and wrap the flag around the pole, then quickly wash my fingers
        to make sure that there is no glue on them. I then finalize the
        folds, etc. and allow the flag to dry, making sure that it has been
        closely pressed down onto the pole on the front and back. Once the
        flag has dried and is finally positioned I then paint the edges of the
        flag with colors that match the flag to hide the paper edge effects
        (don't forget the white as well as other colors).

        Once this paint is dry I give the flag a quick coat of semi-gloss.
        When the whole unit is done I give it a coat of dullcoat, but try to
        minimize the amount of that that gets on the flag.

        Gary in Utah
      • Matthew L Irsik
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
          Everyone,
          If you own a Mac or have access to one the best thing is to drag
          whatever flags you want to the desktop(Macs don't need to download or
          save images), then open them up in whatever imaging program you have(I
          prefer Photoshop 7). You can then scale and change the resolution to
          whatever you need. Then you can cut and paste to get as many flags on an
          8 x 11 sheet of paper as you need. Then, if you don't have a good
          printer load the file on a Zip disk and visit your nearest Alphagraphics
          or Kinkos where they can print it out for you for a buck or two.
          I varnish them with my figs with a semi-gloss clear spray first,
          then Testor's Dullcote after and they seem to hold their color well. Of
          course it also depends upon what kind of paper you have them printed on
          and the quality of the color printer, which is why I suggest you go to a
          professional printing shop if you don't have access to a high quality
          printer.

          Matt
        • Mike Hillsgrove
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2002
            After glueing them on (white glue - never never cyanoacrylate) hit it with a coat of Krylon Clear Coat.
          • geoffwoo99
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2002
              --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@y..., "Jesper Asmussen" <ja-gqg@p...>
              > How do you all treat your flags after they have been printed out?

              GW I use Clear Coat Lacquer - a product used for car bodywork top
              coat for metallic paints. I get mine from Halfords - a motor
              accessory retail chain in a spray can - so you can apply several
              light coats unitl th desired 'gloss' is reached. I use it on troops
              too, btw, after basing but before flocking.

              Unlike Humbrol varnishes, it doesnt make metallic colours run.

              With 'varnish', you really have to be sure the paint is really,
              really, really, really dry before you varnish it.
            • Tim Kellogg
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 14, 2007
                If you Google Napoleonic Cavalry Flags, you will find a couple great websites, I am sorry I do not have the links here for you I am at work so my library is limited.

                Tim