Re: Is this thing on?

  • mark_hambleton
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
      Michael,

      The scenario in the rulebook is pretty good, especially for gamers
      who have a limited area available, but some variations, with a degree
      of historical justification, could be made to get around the problems
      you have encountered.

      1. The obvious remedy is to extend the battlefield by 12" in each
      direction to give the British the room they need.

      2. The speed of march columns is probably too slow. 18" for infantry
      and guns would be a more realistic rate if on a road, 12" could be
      used as a cross country speed.

      3. The Netherlands troops occupied the outlying farmhouses as
      outposts to their line. Germioncourt in particular was a strong
      position and should be capable of delaying the French for a while.

      4. The French are perhaps too concentrated at the start of the game.
      It is always difficult to allocate exact arrival times in a battle
      such as this, but at 2pm, it is probable that only Bachelu and a part
      of the French cavalry (Pire, Guard, Guiton) were actually on the
      field as shown on the scenario map. Foy could be depicted just
      entering the table in march column, followed by Jerome who would be
      off table and then Kellermann's other brigade, who at the outset were
      a couple of miles from the battlefield.

      Just a few quick thoughts

      Mark

      --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Brown"
      <mwSaber6@...> wrote:

      > No, my concern was how hard it is to get all the Allies on the
      table in
      > their turn of arrival at Quartre Bras. I've played this @ 4 times
      in the
      > last 10 days and the initiative die is the real kicker.
      >

      > Michael Brown
      >
      > mwsaber6@...

      Napoleon's
      > Battles, Shako, or that ghastly game called "Empire", so you have
      to pay the

      > penalty.
      >
      > I'd comment on shooting at artillery with skirmishers in trialleur
      formation

      > during your first game while trying to base your old 2mm Naps
      collection on
      > 2" by 2" bases and asking what scale changes should be made to the
      movement

      > and range tables. Also, mention you think French infantry can shoot
      50%
      > faster than two ranked British line in a firefight using the clear
      logic of
      > 3
      > guys verses 2 guys on similar frontage. If all this fails, just
      accuse Geoff
      > of
      > something ridiculous and I'm sure he will at least reply to your
      post.

      > Your Humble Servant,
      >
      > Mark Swihart

    • Michael Brown
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
        One of my questions was how do people handle arrivals from off board. Do
        you have them as a continuous chain (subtracting the length of units in
        front), or does every unit start at the board edge (allowing units to fan
        out quickly). I've opted for the former, But found in this scenario that
        the column is too long to completely enter (sometimes in 2 turns, let alone
        1).

        I think that part of the issue is my interpretation of the map (though it is
        pretty darn close). Another maybe the tactics I am using as the Allies
        (Dutch-Belgians tend to stay put) and the French tend to mass guns on
        anything the can (even being halved for firing at skirmishers over 2").

        Right now I'm in turn 6, and the Allies have lost 2 brigades (Saxe-Weimar
        and Pack[2 brutal fire phases]) but the French have not yet maintained
        control of the slope.

        Michael Brown

        mwsaber6@...

[...]

        <mailto:NapoleonicFireandFury%40yahoogroups.com> , "Michael Brown"
        <mwSaber6@...> wrote:

        > No, my concern was how hard it is to get all the Allies on the
        table in
        > their turn of arrival at Quartre Bras. I've played this @ 4 times
        in the
        > last 10 days and the initiative die is the real kicker.
        >

        > Michael Brown
        >
        > mwsaber6@...
        >

        > From: NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:NapoleonicFireandFury%40yahoogroups.com>

      • Bill Gray
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
          Continuous chain, but some common sense has to be used here. If you have
          enemy units within Tactical Range of the entry point, I would allow the
          reinforcements to march on the board deployed.

          Regards, Bill Gray

          On 6/1/07, Michael Brown <mwSaber6@...> wrote:

          > One of my questions was how do people handle arrivals from off board. Do
          > you have them as a continuous chain (subtracting the length of units in
          > front), or does every unit start at the board edge (allowing units to fan
          > out quickly). I've opted for the former, But found in this scenario that
          > the column is too long to completely enter (sometimes in 2 turns, let
          > alone
          > 1).
          >
          > I think that part of the issue is my interpretation of the map (though it
          > is
          > pretty darn close). Another maybe the tactics I am using as the Allies
          > (Dutch-Belgians tend to stay put) and the French tend to mass guns on
          > anything the can (even being halved for firing at skirmishers over 2").
          >
          > Right now I'm in turn 6, and the Allies have lost 2 brigades (Saxe-Weimar
          > and Pack[2 brutal fire phases]) but the French have not yet maintained
          > control of the slope.
          >
          > Michael Brown
          >
          > mwsaber6@... <mwsaber6%40msn.com>

        • Michael Brown
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
            Would you impose a Turn or 2 of delay to deploy?

            What seems to happen to me is that the lead unit makes it on the board, and
            then the next turn is within 18" of the enemy. Then the tail unit has to
            move through the lead unit as Reserve Movement comes first, really FUBARs
            the entry.

            Michael Brown

            mwsaber6@...

          • mpawelski@daubert.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
              Our group allows for "off-board" deployment by units with the appropriate
              turn delay(s) for the evolution and then come on board in the new
              formation.

              Mark

            • ducdallas@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
                In a message dated 6/1/2007 9:29:30 AM Central Standard Time,
                mpawelski@... writes:

                Our group allows for "off-board" deployment by units with the appropriate
                turn delay(s) for the evolution and then come on board in the new
                formation.

                Mark

                ----------------------

                Another thing that can be done. Is run another small table on a side wall.
                Have a road marked out along it and have the troops placed on it. The units can
                deploy off the road there and move forward if desired.

                We have done this with Gettysburg several times as well as using it with
                Quatre Bras and think it works well.

                Another thing to remember is to hide the Netherlanders troops from the start.
                Make the French discover them.

                Lloyd

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
                  I normally don't impose a delay myself. The FUBAR impact is intentional.

                • Doug Boggess
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
                    When we did Jena in ABQ, Ruchel would have entered (if we had played that
                    long!) deployed in battle order because he did that historically, but I
                    think the FUBAR impact of Reserve and Tactical movement mixing it up near
                    the table edge would have truly captured how well the 1806 Prussians were
                    doing with staff work and division level and above unit coordination!!

                    Doug Boggess, RPA

                  • valmy92
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 2, 2007
                      We have actually started using divisional engagement (if one unit of a
                      division is engaged, the rest of the division is treated as engaged
                      too). Too often we've had one unit of a division within 18" nicked on
                      a diagonal from enemy troops elsewhere doing something else (half a
                      table away and completely unrelated) messing up a divisional advance.
                      Still messes up a corps though. Or, as you've mentioned, the lead
                      unit of a division coming on becomes engaged and prevents the troops
                      behind getting on the board.
                      Phil
                      --- In NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gray" <hmgs1@...>
                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > pretty darn close). Another maybe the tactics I am using as the
                      Allies
                      > > > (Dutch-Belgians tend to stay put) and the French tend to mass
                      guns on
                      > > > anything the can (even being halved for firing at skirmishers
                      over 2").

                      > > > Right now I'm in turn 6, and the Allies have lost 2 brigades
                      > > (Saxe-Weimar
                      > > > and Pack[2 brutal fire phases]) but the French have not yet
                      maintained
                      > > > control of the slope.
                      > > >
                      > > > Michael Brown
                      > > >
                      > > > mwsaber6@... <mwsaber6%40msn.com> <mailto:mwsaber6% <mwsaber6%25>
                      > > 40msn.com> <mwsaber6%40msn.com>
                      > > >
                      > > > From:
                      NapoleonicFireandFury@yahoogroups.com<NapoleonicFireandFury%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > <mailto:NapoleonicFireandFury%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > <NapoleonicFireandFury%40yahoogroups.com>

                    • Sven Lugar
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
                        wrote:

                        > I normally don't impose a delay myself. The FUBAR impact is intentional.
                        >
                        > Regards, Bill Gray

                        ...snip...

                        With all due respect wouldn't this be more SNAFU than FUBAR or TARFU?
                        It is after all the "Situation Normal All F****d Up" in that things
                        like this get messed up.
                      • Michael Brown
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007