[N_O_A] William Odeon, mariner, Charles City County, VA 1658

  • Carrie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2006
      I have found several entries concerning William Odeon, mariner in an
      abstract of the Charles City County, VA court records of 1658-1661. I've
      created a very simple webpage with a retyping of the abstracts, and links
      to pdfs of the pages.

      The single most interesting thing I found was a mention of the name of
      Captain Odeon's ship, which was called "Planter." Does anyone know how to
      go about researching a ship's history?

      I also included the index to the abstracts. If you don't have access to
      the Heritage Quest databases, and you would like a copy of a page mentioned
      in the index, please feel free to e-mail me off list at hetaerae@...
      and I'll be happy to do a lookup for you and e-mail a pdf of the relevant
      pages.

      Here's the URL for the relevant abstracts concerning William Odeon, mariner:

      http://home.swbell.net/hetaerae/odeon.html

      Carrie
      ...Then they filled, with clear, shallow water,
      the whole breadth of this broad canal, and set
      little whirlpools turning in the depths,
      and for the first time mirrored the green banks
      and distant calls of birds -- while in the sky
      the starry nights of another, sweeter country
      blossomed above them and would never close.
      Tombs of the Hetaerae, by Rainier Maria Rilke
      Translation by Stephen Mitchell