[N_O_A] 2 errors in Ms. Hollowell's Research, and a request to proofread a ged file

  • Carrie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2006
      I've taken Ms. Hollowell's research and put it all into Ancestry Family Tree.  From there, I can convert it to a ged file and will put it on the NOA website for anyone's use.

      However, before I do that, would someone volunteer to proof my work?  I'd rather it were as correct as possible before I put it out to the public.

      During the process, I found two errors, one obviously a simple typographic error, the other a misinterpretation of the language of a will.  The first is fairly immaterial to our research because the people are so very recent; the second is, I believe, crucial and may send us all searching down the wrong path.

      (1) Page 40: she lists the children of Katherine Elise Odom: Gary Paul Keefer as having been born April 1, 1953, and his brother James Harold Keefer as having been born March 14, 1953 - they can't have been born six weeks apart.

      (2) Page 04: she lists one of the children of William Odeon III and Patience Warrick as being Patience Butt.  A reading of the transcript of the will of William Odeon III and of the hand-written copy, shows, I believe, that this is wrong.  It says "...unto my Daughter Patience But five pounds of cash of this currency in full and no more."  I believe the word "But" is NOT her last name, but means "only" -- "unto my Daughter Patience [only] five pounds of cash...and no more."

      Carrie
      ...Then they filled, with clear, shallow water,
      the whole breadth of this broad canal, and set
      little whirlpools turning in the depths,
      and for the first time mirrored the green banks
      and distant calls of birds -- while in the sky
      the starry nights of another, sweeter country
      blossomed above them and would never close.
      Tombs of the Hetaerae, by Rainier Maria Rilke
      Translation by Stephen Mitchell