Mrs. Hollowell's Very Important Research

  • rodney f. rhoads
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
      I have been replying to these darned messages for a couple of weeks
      now and only figured out today that the reply is going direct to the
      writer and is not being posted like in Genforum.

      So let me start over. Jimmy Ray's posting (actually scanned and
      posted by the Bruces) was a fantastic find as I was stuck for 40
      years at Moses Odom Senior of Northampton Co, NC as my earliest
      ancestor. Note: I am in the DNA study (I am having trouble seeing
      comparisons there but that is another story).

      Anyway- Mrs. Hollowell's findings were VERY important to me as it
      allowed me to link up with William Odeon/Odium/Odon/Oden who was the
      Mariner who bought Land in Norfolk in 1651 as my earliest ancestor.
      Of particu;ar interest is the fact that, as a Master Mariner he was
      literate and his son William II was also as indicated by the gift of
      books from him. Since William Odeon was the signed name on the
      original will (see Mrs. Hollowell's photostat) I must assume he
      himself spelled it that way and not some clerk's interpretation of
      William's pronounciation. This is very important.

      Thus my line is :
      William Odeon died 1662 Norfolk Co,Va
      William Odeon II died Lower Norfolk Co./Nansemond,VA
      William Odeon III died 1744 Lower Norfolk Co/Nansemond Co,VA
      William Odeon IV died 1794 Gates Co.,NC
      Moses Odom died 1792 Northampton Co,NC (was Gates Co)
      Moses Odom II died 1811 Northampton Co,NC
      Wiley (Willee)Odum died 1819 Carthage,Smith Co. TN
      Dempsey Odum died on train 1860 and buried Desoto,Il -Lived
      Williamson Co.,IL
      William C. Odum died 1885 Williamson Co,IL
      Jeremiah Odum died 1929 Granite City,Madison Co,IL
      William J. Odum died 1953 Reading, Berks Co,PA
      William R. Odum, (My Father-who finally married my mother after the
      War when I was 10), died 1998 Reading,Berks Co,PA

      I have a lot to say but need to study things a bit and verify
      certain things. I have a proven track to Moses Sr and Mrs.
      Hollowell's research on the original wills seems to provide the
      missing links on first reading. I will have a lot to say later. God
      Bless you Mrs. Hollowell - sorry I never knew you and thanks to
      Jimmy Ray and the Bruces for posting.
    • Dorothy Bruce
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
        Rodney, When you hit reply on this list, your message should be posted to the NOA Yahoo list.
        And I remember getting some of your messages... so some must be going through to the list.
        When you hit reply, make sure that the TO: line has the group... not the writer.
        Dorothy Odom Bruce

[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Rodney Rhoads

        • dwisewirth@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
            In a message dated 1/1/2006 9:20:01 PM Central Standard Time, buckspike@... writes:
            Anyway- Mrs. Hollowell's findings were VERY important to me as it
            allowed me to link up with William Odeon/Odium/Odon/Oden who was the
            Mariner who bought Land in Norfolk in 1651 as my earliest ancestor.
            Of particular interest is the fact that, as a Master Mariner he was
            literate and his son William II was also as indicated by the gift of
            books from him. Since William Odeon was the signed name on the
            original will (see Mrs. Hollowell's photostat) I must assume he
            himself spelled it that way and not some clerk's interpretation of
            William's pronounciation. This is very important.
            Isn't it wonderful when we all work together!

            I'm fascinated by your line in that you seem to include so many different spellings of Odom. I'm finding it helpful in my combined database to enter everyone with a last name of Odom - i.e. William Odeon Odom, Wiley Odum Odom - as it's easier to look for  matches.

            Question though. I don't see your email address (buckspike@...) on my list of participants. Did you test out as part of the A group?

            Dot Wise Wirth
            Baton Rouge, LA
            Desc. of Archibald Odom of Pulaski Co., GA