TN, Odam, Odum, Odom Best help available.

  • Linda Tidwell
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2005

      I have had a brick wall with my Odum Clan for years!  I sent the following to TNROOTS list today.

      “My father - James W. Odum b. 1922

      My Grandfather - Perry E. Odum   b.Oct 9,1898 d Feb 1,1969

                                       M.  Martha Leona Hix   b. July 17, 1898 d.Mar 6 ,1995 .

      My GGrandfather - Ambros Odum b. Aug 1868 m. Sara (Settie) Lou Scantland

      My GGGrandfather - John Odum b. June 13 1848 d. July 10 1914 m. Margaret (Peggy) Smith b. Mar 4, 1847

      John Odum is where I hit the next wall.  All of my ancestors were born Jackson , (Gainesboro) or Overton, Fentress Co.    I am not sure of how the spelling might be.”

      I received this answer that may solve my questions.

      The 1880 Jackson Co. Tn. census shows this listing:

      1880 Tennessee - Jackson - Dist 1,  Dist 54
      #217/222
      Jno. R. Odham, 35, head, farmer, TnTnTn
      Margaret, wife, age 29, keeping house, Tn/Al/Al
      Ambros, 11, son, TnTnTn
      Sarah, 05, dau, TnTnTN
      Rosie, 02, dau, TnTnTn
      Manerva J., age 53, mother, at home, TnKyKy

      1870 Jackson Co. Tn - Dist 1
      #202/202
      Minerva Oldham 55, spinster, Tn,
      Julia , 23, Tn
      John, 21, Tn
      Peggy, 18, Tn
      Ambros 02, Tn<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

      1850 Jackson Co. Tn. - Dist. 13
      #278/278
      Thomas Odam, 36, farming, Tn
      Manerva, 25, Ill
      Lavinia, 11, Ill
      Nyley??, 09, (m), Ill
      Julia Ann, 08, Ill
      John, 06, Ill
      Barton, 03, Tn
      James, 4/12, Tn
      Atlass, 04, Tn

      This certainly matches all I have date, places and names.  I just never looked at these spellings.  Does anyone here match these families?

      Thanks

      Linda

    • dwisewirth@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
        In a message dated 12/31/2005 1:37:58 AM Central Standard Time, Lydat@... writes:
        All of my ancestors were born Jackson , (Gainesboro) or Overton, Fentress Co.    I am not sure of how the spelling might be.”
        What state?
      • Linda Tidwell
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006

          My Odum (the way my father and his father spelled it) family is from TN.  All in the Gainesboro area!  Cousin?

          Linda Odum Tidwell

          Mt. Juliet TN