[N_O_A] Q&A about DNA

  • dwisewirth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2005

      In a message dated 12/28/2005 2:46:55 PM Central Standard Time, MikeNbetty@... writes:
      I missed your DNA presentation at the July meeting because I was manning the registration desk etc.
      I am planning to have my brother do the DNA test.  Will his results be compared with only those in NOA who have done the test, or with another larger group of people from all over the US?
      Also, once done, can the results be used to address other possible family links?
      I'm so ignorant on how this works.
      Betty Haskett
      Betty,

      Our NOA project reports only relationships among our NOA member results. However, results can be entered in Ysearch (http://www.ysearch.org/) to search across a much larger worldwide database of results. Benny, as project manager, can choose to enter all the NOA results himself, but he has not done so at this point and, apparently, neither have any of the remainder of our group as the only ODOM matches on Y-search are those I entered.

      Then you can choose whether to search against all results. There are four other surnames (McHenry, Fox, Harvey and Freeman) with identical markers but they have tested 16 markers at the most and several only 8 markers). McHenry is from Ireland; Fox and Harvey are from England; and Freeman is from Georgia.

      Other groups are being formed daily that our results can be entered in for comparison purposes. As more people are tested, the results will become more meaningful.

      Other possible family links among ODOM or varient surnames will show up in the matches and mismatches (mutations) - such as the 11 different subgroups of ODOMs descended from the same common ancestor somewhere in the last 30 generations or so. Then we have to go to the family trees prepared by each testee to connect into other lines.

      Dot