Odom Research by Lucy Hollowell - 1969

  • William T Bruce
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28, 2005
      Thanks to Jimmy Ray Odom, Dorothy & Bill Bruce of Texas, Information
      originally prepared by Lucy Hollowell about Odoms in North Carolina &
      Virginia is now poseted on the internet. Can be accessed thru a link
      on the NOA web index http://www.odomassembly.us

      Bill Bruce
    • dwisewirth@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 28, 2005
        This is wonderful and I'll try to enter all of it into our combined ODOM Family Tree Maker files. I haven't read it thoroughly but can anyone tie it to one of the Y-DNA groups?

        Dot

        PS - thanks for updating the website. I've started on my revisions but I'll have to stay focused to keep up with the site, thanks to all of Dorothy's work.

        In a message dated 12/28/2005 11:23:51 AM Central Standard Time, wtbruce@... writes:
        Thanks to Jimmy Ray Odom, Dorothy & Bill Bruce of Texas, Information
        originally prepared by Lucy Hollowell about Odoms in North Carolina &
        Virginia is now poseted on the internet.  Can be accessed thru a link
        on the NOA web index http://www.odomassembly.us

        Bill Bruce

      • Carrie
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 28, 2005
          Wahoo and Zowie!! I'm excited and impressed.

          My cousin, Rodney Rhodes, sent me this link this morning, telling me it
          confirmed his belief that we were descended from William Odean. According
          to Rod's confirmed research (I haven't gotten that far back yet), we are
          descended from Moses Odum (b. 1710, Nansemond County, d. 1792, Kirby's
          Creek) -- his will is transcribed on page 21 of Ms. Hollowell's notes.

          Our branch of the family migrated from North Carolina to Tennessee to
          southern Illinois, then Rod's and my branch of the family moved up to
          Madison County, IL, just across the river from St. Louis, MO. The family
          seemed to spell the last name "Odom" down southern IL way for a while, and
          by the time we got up by St. Louis, it was "Odum". For consistency's sake,
          I'm using "Odum" here

          Rod, I believe you're on this list, right? I'm sure you'll correct me if I
          got something wrong.. Here is our lineage, as I have it:

          Moses and Rachel (Gates) Odum (see pg. 21 of the Hollowell research)
          Wiley Moses and Sarah (Kitchens or Kinchin) Odum
          Dempsey and Sarah (Jordon) Odum
          William C. and Elizabeth Jane (Taylor) Odum
          Jeremiah and Etta Ora (Griffith) Odum (my and Rod's great-grandparents)

          Rod: William Joel and Dora (Compton) Odum
          William Raymond and Ethel Mae Rhoads

          Me: Olva Raymond and Hazel Fern (Grey) Odum
          Robert E. and Mirah (Heidenreich) Odum

          I'm working on putting all of Ms. Hollowell's notes into Ancestry Family
          Tree so I can figure out all the relationships.

          Would love to hear from anyone else on the board on what they've found in
          Ms. Hollowell's research.

          God bless her!

          At 05:23 PM 12/28/2005 +0000, William T Bruce wrote:
          >Thanks to Jimmy Ray Odom, Dorothy & Bill Bruce of Texas, Information
          >originally prepared by Lucy Hollowell about Odoms in North Carolina &
          >Virginia is now poseted on the internet. Can be accessed thru a link
          >on the NOA web index <http://www.odomassembly.us>http://www.odomassembly.us
          >
          >Bill Bruce

          > *
          >

          >----------

          Carrie
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ...Then they filled, with clear, shallow water,
          the whole breadth of this broad canal, and set
          little whirlpools turning in the depths,
          and for the first time mirrored the green banks
          and distant calls of birds -- while in the sky
          the starry nights of another, sweeter country
          blossomed above them and would never close.
          Tombs of the Hetaerae, by Rainier Maria Rilke
          Translation by Stephen Mitchell
        • Dorothy Odom Bruce
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 29, 2005
            WOW!  Carrie....  GREAT for you and Rod!  I am glad that this has helped others!
            It sounds like you-all really "hit the jackpot"!

            A word of caution for all:
            Remember there is so much on the internet AND in books in libraries that is NOT documented.
            So we teach in genealogy classes, that we use these types of things as INDEXes to guide US to do our own reseach WITH DOCUMENTATION!  Remember..... it'll make YOU feel better to know that what you publish or pass on to others is valid!

            Keep it up Carrie and Rod.  Let NOA hear from you....  JOIN NOA....  and help support the research work of the ODOM family!

            Dorothy

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 29, 2005
              Thanks for the word of warning, but of course, I didn't take it all at face
              value, and will do my own research and confirmation. That's why I'm
              putting it all in a separate ged file, so I can do printouts of the
              relationships and dates.

              At 02:40 PM 12/29/2005 -0600, you wrote:
              >WOW! Carrie.... GREAT for you and Rod! I am glad that this has helped
              >others!
              >It sounds like you-all really "hit the jackpot"!
              >
              >A word of caution for all:
              >Remember there is so much on the internet AND in books in libraries that
              >is NOT documented.
              >So we teach in genealogy classes, that we use these types of things as
              >INDEXes to guide US to do our own reseach WITH
              >DOCUMENTATION! Remember..... it'll make YOU feel better to know that what
              >you publish or pass on to others is valid!
              >
              >Keep it up Carrie and Rod. Let NOA hear from you.... JOIN NOA.... and
              >help support the research work of the ODOM family!
              >
              >Dorothy

              Carrie
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 30, 2005
                In a message dated 12/28/2005 9:15:35 PM Central Standard Time, hetaerae@... writes:
                I'm working on putting all of Ms. Hollowell's notes into Ancestry Family
                Tree so I can figure out all the relationships.
                When you do, can you send me a gedcom to add this to our combined NOA genea files? I've had it in Family Tree Maker but I just downloaded Family Tree Legends because it allows inputting the Y-DNA results.

                Dot Wise Wirth
                Baton Rouge, LA
                Desc of Archibald Odom, Pulaski Co., GA