Questions??

  • Linda Tidwell
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2005

      Is the DNA testing of Odum, Odom, O’dom, etc, etc still ongoing?  If yes, how, where and who can participate?  Does it need to be male descendents? Big one, how much does it cost?

      All these questions because I am descended from the Odum/Odom (both last names in same generation) from Tennessee .  I have been stumped for years.  I even put researching on the shelf for years because of frustration.  After the death of my father again I feel the need to connect to a branch of some tree. DNA might give me a clue!  Here is my family tree as I know it.

      My father: James Winton Odum  b. 24 Jan 1922  Gainesboro, TN. Jackson Co.

      Grandfather:  Perry E. Odum b.  9 Oct 1898 Jackson Co. TN.   m. 14 Sep 1917   Martha Leona Hix b.  17 Jul 1898 Jackson Co. TN.

      Great Grandfather:  Ambros/Ambrose Odum b. 5 Aug 1868  m. 27 Jul 1890  Sara (Settie) Lou Scantland b. 1872

      Great Great Grandfather:  John Odum b. 13 Jun 1848  m. Margaret (Peggy) Smith b. 4 Mar 1847

      Great Great Great Grandfather: Unknown

      All of these families lived and were born in Jackson, Overton, Fentress and White Counties of TN.  There is a connection to Illinois .  Unknown how?  Other family connections, Hix/Hicks, Brown, Litton, Fleming, Vannoy, Whittaker, Scantland, Smith, Hall, and McCoy.  I hope that someone recognizes someone or a name.  Thanks in advance.

      Linda Odum Tidwell

      Nashville, TN

    • Kathy Odom
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 18, 2005
        Yes, the project is still moving forward with at least 50 completions of the results that your interest in. This is the right choice for you to belong to, some group that has been established. I belong to group A and there are about 20 Odoms in this single group and by some evaluation, we have a common ancestor somewhere in someone's research.

        Please contact Benny Youngblood, 228 Lake Ridge Dr., Fairhope AL 36532, pho # 251-990-3312. His email is; byoungblood02@... . He is our cordinator of the DNA program. You will get an immediate answer from him, but consider the Christmas Season.

        Hope you find something good....... Let me know....
        Jimmy R Odom
[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Bruce Odom
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 18, 2005
          Linda, the Odom DNA project is still going. You might get a reply to your message from Billie Odom and Benny Youngblood as well as me. Benny is the coordinator of the project but has designated Billie and me as assistants. One of us needs the mailing address of the person who will submit the sample so we can have the kit sent. The sample does have to come from a male with the Odom/Odum surname so you need to be able to talk someone into doing it. I think the 43 marker test is $195.

          I am sending you a couple of census images.

          Bruce Odom