Odom/Odam/Odum descendant in Alabama

  • anitasgen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2007
      I am so very glad to have found y'all. I have searched and searched
      for the beginnings of my Odom ancestor. My Odom story is this:

      I am seeking info about Ferdinand Odom. The census says that he is
      from South Carolina. I find him once in Georgia before 1840. He is in
      Alabama by 1840. On the same page I find a C.B. Odan, and Aaron Odam.
      In 1830 I have William Odom and Jordan Odom. This is in Fayette
      County, Alabama.

      In 1850, Ferdinand and his wife, Patsy have 5 children Richard,
      Silas, Sarah, Martha, and Alford P. They were all born in the 1830s.
      Sarah marries my 2x Great grandfather just as the Civil War begins.
      In the census in 1860, there are several new members in the family.
      The entries for Ferdiand's family begins by listing Winny Odom as the
      head of the family, followed by Ferdinand, his family, and members of
      a family named Smith. Winny at this time is 104 years old. Ferdinand
      is 58.

      In 1870, Ferdinand's family has ceased, I guess with the death of his
      wife and his children are married. I find Winny Odom in the home of
      James Smith, along with his wife, Mary Polly Smith. She is listed as
      114 years old, at the bottom of the census page the enumerator
      writes,"114 yrs. old, can see to knit and can walk 2 mile or more".
      I did some research and find a listing on rootsweb.com that says Mary
      Polly Smith was an Odom and the daughter of Richard Odom. There is a
      Richard Odom in Tuscaloosa, Ala who dies in the 1860s.

      Does anyone know whence my Odom's come from, or can give me an idea
      where to research? Any help anyone can give me would be greatly
      appreciated

      Thanks,
      Nita
    • Dorothy Bruce
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2007
        Welcome to the ODOM group!  I hope that your message here will be answered, and that you will find someone to help you with your line.
        I will also forward your message to our news editor, to put this query in the next available quarterly.

        Please see our web page for further information on our organization.  We will have our annual Reunion in July in Augusta GA.

        Dorothy Odom Bruce
        NOA President 2006-7

[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.