Re: [N_O_A] Genealogy programs for Apple computers

  • Dorothy Bruce
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
      Is your "challenge" to have a COMPUTER..... or an APPLE computer?

      Dorothy

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
        My first "real" computer was an Apple iic after being broken in on a
        second hand Radio Shack Color Computer. I resisted going to PC's until
        my school started using them exclusively. My kids now use Macs and
        since the new ones will also run Windows I thought it might be nice to
        go back. Actually, the currently running Apple commericals have
        convinced me. Does anyone have experience with the new Mac intel
        powered computer? Can you run Windows from an external drive?

        --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy Bruce" <dobruce@...> wrote:

        > Why are you considering an Apple Computer?
        >
        > Google Genealogy Programs and Apple, to see what you will get.
        > Are there any new ones?
        > Do any of the Other programs work also on a Mac?
        >
        > Dorothy

        8/11/2006

      • Bruce Odom
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
          Thanks for the suggestion about Reunion; the website looks like it is
          a good choice and your testimonial is quite strong.

          --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "ultrafinetwo" <fred.odom@...> wrote:

          > --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Odom" <bodomly@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am seriously considering a challenge for my old age by buying an
          > > Apple computer. Do any of you use one? Is there a recommended
          > > genealogy program at least as good as Family Tree Maker? That's what I
          > > have used for years.
          > >
          > Absolutely. The application is Reunion. It is published by Leister
          Productions. You can
          > find their web site at <http://www.leisterpro.com/index.php>.
          >
          > I think you will find that this is a superb database, probably far
          superior to FTM. However,
          > I must caution you that if you have used FTM for years, you will
          probably have difficulty
          > associating with the new application. This is normal rejection!!
          You have the FTM
          > "system" so deeply ingrained that moving to something else will not
          be easy. I also believe
          > that you can get FTM in a Mac version. Finally, if you get the
          newest Intel powered Mac,
          > you will be able to run FTM in it's original PC version. So, getting
          to the point, with the
          > latest Mac you can keep what you have in the IBM universe.
          >
          > All of that having been said, I have used Reunion for more that
          twenty years. I went to it
          > from the very early, and very basic LDS application called "Personal
          Ancestral File" or PAF. I
          > am
          > perfectly content with it. I am aware of a few other Mac language
          geney applications,
          > some less expensive than Reunion, but frankly, what little I have
          seen of them, none can
          > hold a candle to Reunion. It is extremely powerful as a database,
          but relatively simple to
          > use. More importantly, it is quite flexible. You can tailor the
          data in many different ways,
          > which is useful, depending on what your interests are in recording
          the data.

        • Dorothy Bruce
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
            WOW.....  there were so FEW of us RS Color Computer users!  We used that for so long!  and our son took one off to college.  Husband said that ours at home did everything his IBM did at work.....  but using that tape for save data was the pits!

            Dorothy

            My first "real" computer was an Apple iic after being broken in on a
            second hand Radio Shack Color Computer. I resisted going to PC's until
            my school started using them exclusively. My kids now use Macs and
            since the new ones will also run Windows I thought it might be nice to
            go back. Actually, the currently running Apple commericals have
            convinced me. Does anyone have experience with the new Mac intel
            powered computer? Can you run Windows from an external drive?

            --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups. com, "Dorothy Bruce" <dobruce@... > wrote:

            > Why are you considering an Apple Computer?
            >
            > Google Genealogy Programs and Apple, to see what you will get.
            > Are there any new ones?
            > Do any of the Other programs work also on a Mac?
            >
            > Dorothy

            8/11/2006

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • forgerii
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 20, 2006
              I loved my CoCo! I still have two of them with disk operating system.
              For some things they were much better than current PCs, even hi-
              dollar ones because the code was compact and efficient. I still have
              some laboratory instruments running with CoCo motherboards built into
              them!

              But this is off-topic so I'll desist.

              John Odom, Ooltewah, TN

              -- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy Bruce" <dobruce@...> wrote:

              > WOW..... there were so FEW of us RS Color Computer users! We used
              that for so long! and our son took one off to college. Husband said
              that ours at home did everything his IBM did at work..... but using
              that tape for save data was the pits!

              > Dorothy

              8/11/2006