Re: [N_O_A] Genealogy programs for Apple computers

  • Dorothy Bruce
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
      Why are you considering an Apple Computer?

      Google Genealogy Programs and Apple, to see what you will get.
      Are there any new ones?
      Do any of the Other programs work also on a Mac?

      Dorothy

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
        Is your "challenge" to have a COMPUTER..... or an APPLE computer?

        Dorothy

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
          My first "real" computer was an Apple iic after being broken in on a
          second hand Radio Shack Color Computer. I resisted going to PC's until
          my school started using them exclusively. My kids now use Macs and
          since the new ones will also run Windows I thought it might be nice to
          go back. Actually, the currently running Apple commericals have
          convinced me. Does anyone have experience with the new Mac intel
          powered computer? Can you run Windows from an external drive?

          --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy Bruce" <dobruce@...> wrote:

          > Why are you considering an Apple Computer?
          >
          > Google Genealogy Programs and Apple, to see what you will get.
          > Are there any new ones?
          > Do any of the Other programs work also on a Mac?
          >
          > Dorothy

          8/11/2006

        • Bruce Odom
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
            Thanks for the suggestion about Reunion; the website looks like it is
            a good choice and your testimonial is quite strong.

            --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "ultrafinetwo" <fred.odom@...> wrote:

            > --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Odom" <bodomly@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am seriously considering a challenge for my old age by buying an
            > > Apple computer. Do any of you use one? Is there a recommended
            > > genealogy program at least as good as Family Tree Maker? That's what I
            > > have used for years.
            > >
            > Absolutely. The application is Reunion. It is published by Leister
            Productions. You can
            > find their web site at <http://www.leisterpro.com/index.php>.
            >
            > I think you will find that this is a superb database, probably far
            superior to FTM. However,
            > I must caution you that if you have used FTM for years, you will
            probably have difficulty
            > associating with the new application. This is normal rejection!!
            You have the FTM
            > "system" so deeply ingrained that moving to something else will not
            be easy. I also believe
            > that you can get FTM in a Mac version. Finally, if you get the
            newest Intel powered Mac,
            > you will be able to run FTM in it's original PC version. So, getting
            to the point, with the
            > latest Mac you can keep what you have in the IBM universe.
            >
            > All of that having been said, I have used Reunion for more that
            twenty years. I went to it
            > from the very early, and very basic LDS application called "Personal
            Ancestral File" or PAF. I
            > am
            > perfectly content with it. I am aware of a few other Mac language
            geney applications,
            > some less expensive than Reunion, but frankly, what little I have
            seen of them, none can
            > hold a candle to Reunion. It is extremely powerful as a database,
            but relatively simple to
            > use. More importantly, it is quite flexible. You can tailor the
            data in many different ways,
            > which is useful, depending on what your interests are in recording
            the data.

          • Dorothy Bruce
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
              WOW.....  there were so FEW of us RS Color Computer users!  We used that for so long!  and our son took one off to college.  Husband said that ours at home did everything his IBM did at work.....  but using that tape for save data was the pits!

              Dorothy

              My first "real" computer was an Apple iic after being broken in on a
              second hand Radio Shack Color Computer. I resisted going to PC's until
              my school started using them exclusively. My kids now use Macs and
              since the new ones will also run Windows I thought it might be nice to
              go back. Actually, the currently running Apple commericals have
              convinced me. Does anyone have experience with the new Mac intel
              powered computer? Can you run Windows from an external drive?

              --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups. com, "Dorothy Bruce" <dobruce@... > wrote:

              > Why are you considering an Apple Computer?
              >
              > Google Genealogy Programs and Apple, to see what you will get.
              > Are there any new ones?
              > Do any of the Other programs work also on a Mac?
              >
              > Dorothy

              8/11/2006

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            • forgerii
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 20, 2006
                I loved my CoCo! I still have two of them with disk operating system.
                For some things they were much better than current PCs, even hi-
                dollar ones because the code was compact and efficient. I still have
                some laboratory instruments running with CoCo motherboards built into
                them!

                But this is off-topic so I'll desist.

                John Odom, Ooltewah, TN

                -- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy Bruce" <dobruce@...> wrote:

                > WOW..... there were so FEW of us RS Color Computer users! We used
                that for so long! and our son took one off to college. Husband said
                that ours at home did everything his IBM did at work..... but using
                that tape for save data was the pits!

                > Dorothy

                8/11/2006