Genealogy programs for Apple computers

  • Bruce Odom
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
      I am seriously considering a challenge for my old age by buying an
      Apple computer. Do any of you use one? Is there a recommended
      genealogy program at least as good as Family Tree Maker? That's what I
      have used for years.
    • ultrafinetwo
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
        --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Odom" <bodomly@...> wrote:

        > I am seriously considering a challenge for my old age by buying an
        > Apple computer. Do any of you use one? Is there a recommended
        > genealogy program at least as good as Family Tree Maker? That's what I
        > have used for years.

        Absolutely. The application is Reunion. It is published by Leister Productions. You can
        find their web site at <http://www.leisterpro.com/index.php>.

        I think you will find that this is a superb database, probably far superior to FTM. However,
        I must caution you that if you have used FTM for years, you will probably have difficulty
        associating with the new application. This is normal rejection!! You have the FTM
        "system" so deeply ingrained that moving to something else will not be easy. I also believe
        that you can get FTM in a Mac version. Finally, if you get the newest Intel powered Mac,
        you will be able to run FTM in it's original PC version. So, getting to the point, with the
        latest Mac you can keep what you have in the IBM universe.

        All of that having been said, I have used Reunion for more that twenty years. I went to it
        from the very early, and very basic LDS application called "Personal Ancestral File" or PAF. I
        am
        perfectly content with it. I am aware of a few other Mac language geney applications,
        some less expensive than Reunion, but frankly, what little I have seen of them, none can
        hold a candle to Reunion. It is extremely powerful as a database, but relatively simple to
        use. More importantly, it is quite flexible. You can tailor the data in many different ways,
        which is useful, depending on what your interests are in recording the data.
      • Dorothy Bruce
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
          Why are you considering an Apple Computer?

          Google Genealogy Programs and Apple, to see what you will get.
          Are there any new ones?
          Do any of the Other programs work also on a Mac?

          Dorothy

          I am seriously considering a challenge for my old age by buying an
          Apple computer. Do any of you use one? Is there a recommended
          genealogy program at least as good as Family Tree Maker? That's what I
          have used for years.

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • Dorothy Bruce
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
            Is your "challenge" to have a COMPUTER..... or an APPLE computer?

            Dorothy

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
              My first "real" computer was an Apple iic after being broken in on a
              second hand Radio Shack Color Computer. I resisted going to PC's until
              my school started using them exclusively. My kids now use Macs and
              since the new ones will also run Windows I thought it might be nice to
              go back. Actually, the currently running Apple commericals have
              convinced me. Does anyone have experience with the new Mac intel
              powered computer? Can you run Windows from an external drive?

              --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy Bruce" <dobruce@...> wrote:

              > Why are you considering an Apple Computer?
              >
              > Google Genealogy Programs and Apple, to see what you will get.
              > Are there any new ones?
              > Do any of the Other programs work also on a Mac?
              >
              > Dorothy

              8/11/2006

            • Bruce Odom
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
                Thanks for the suggestion about Reunion; the website looks like it is
                a good choice and your testimonial is quite strong.

                --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "ultrafinetwo" <fred.odom@...> wrote:

                > --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Odom" <bodomly@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I am seriously considering a challenge for my old age by buying an
                > > Apple computer. Do any of you use one? Is there a recommended
                > > genealogy program at least as good as Family Tree Maker? That's what I
                > > have used for years.
                > >
                > Absolutely. The application is Reunion. It is published by Leister
                Productions. You can
                > find their web site at <http://www.leisterpro.com/index.php>.
                >
                > I think you will find that this is a superb database, probably far
                superior to FTM. However,
                > I must caution you that if you have used FTM for years, you will
                probably have difficulty
                > associating with the new application. This is normal rejection!!
                You have the FTM
                > "system" so deeply ingrained that moving to something else will not
                be easy. I also believe
                > that you can get FTM in a Mac version. Finally, if you get the
                newest Intel powered Mac,
                > you will be able to run FTM in it's original PC version. So, getting
                to the point, with the
                > latest Mac you can keep what you have in the IBM universe.
                >
                > All of that having been said, I have used Reunion for more that
                twenty years. I went to it
                > from the very early, and very basic LDS application called "Personal
                Ancestral File" or PAF. I
                > am
                > perfectly content with it. I am aware of a few other Mac language
                geney applications,
                > some less expensive than Reunion, but frankly, what little I have
                seen of them, none can
                > hold a candle to Reunion. It is extremely powerful as a database,
                but relatively simple to
                > use. More importantly, it is quite flexible. You can tailor the
                data in many different ways,
                > which is useful, depending on what your interests are in recording
                the data.

              • Dorothy Bruce
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 13, 2006
                  WOW.....  there were so FEW of us RS Color Computer users!  We used that for so long!  and our son took one off to college.  Husband said that ours at home did everything his IBM did at work.....  but using that tape for save data was the pits!

                  Dorothy

                  My first "real" computer was an Apple iic after being broken in on a
                  second hand Radio Shack Color Computer. I resisted going to PC's until
                  my school started using them exclusively. My kids now use Macs and
                  since the new ones will also run Windows I thought it might be nice to
                  go back. Actually, the currently running Apple commericals have
                  convinced me. Does anyone have experience with the new Mac intel
                  powered computer? Can you run Windows from an external drive?

                  --- In N_O_A@yahoogroups. com, "Dorothy Bruce" <dobruce@... > wrote:

                  > Why are you considering an Apple Computer?
                  >
                  > Google Genealogy Programs and Apple, to see what you will get.
                  > Are there any new ones?
                  > Do any of the Other programs work also on a Mac?
                  >
                  > Dorothy

                  8/11/2006

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                • forgerii
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 20, 2006
                    I loved my CoCo! I still have two of them with disk operating system.
                    For some things they were much better than current PCs, even hi-
                    dollar ones because the code was compact and efficient. I still have
                    some laboratory instruments running with CoCo motherboards built into
                    them!

                    But this is off-topic so I'll desist.

                    John Odom, Ooltewah, TN

                    -- In N_O_A@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy Bruce" <dobruce@...> wrote:

                    > WOW..... there were so FEW of us RS Color Computer users! We used
                    that for so long! and our son took one off to college. Husband said
                    that ours at home did everything his IBM did at work..... but using
                    that tape for save data was the pits!

                    > Dorothy

                    8/11/2006