GALLUPVILLE MEMORIAL AND FESTIVAL UPDATE

  • R. SHERMAN
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2007
      PRESERVATION OF THE UNION FESTIVAL

                                                                    A RAIN OR SHINE EVENT

      BRING YOUR OWN LAWN CHAIRS AND BLANKETS!
      Individual event tickets are available in advance or at the door
      WHILE THEY LAST!!!
      July 20th & 21st - Gallupville, NY
      Festivities begin at 6 PM Friday July 20th
      Camp Vedder Beef Stew Dinner - $7 at the door - PASSPORTS HONORED
      MUSIC BY The Knox Traditional Strings
      Presentations on The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War and Ellsworth’s Fire Zouaves
      Sponsored by the Gallupville Fire Dept. - Old Gallupville Firehouse School St, Gallupville
      * ADVANCED TICKETS Contact 518.872.9304 or saskew2@...

      SATURDAY JULY 21st EVENTS
      Pvt. HARVEY WELCH Headstone Dedication CEREMONY
      9 AM Kump Road – Town of Wright
      By permission of The Mayne Family & through the efforts of
      The Corporal James Tanner Camp #134 Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War

      ALL DAY in the “1865 Hamlet of Gallupville”
      Many interesting and informative displays & lectures throughout the Hamlet
      Also! PRESIDENT LINCOLN
      *OLDE CORNER STORE CHECKERS TOURNAMENT*
      **1854 METHODIST CHURCH OPEN HOUSE** Sponsoring …
      **The Sons of Union Veterans On-line Genealogy Research Site**

      FOOD & BEVERAGES THROUGHOUT THE HAMLET - ALL DAY!!!
      WRIGHT Republican Club Chicken DINNER  $7.50
      TAKE OUT AVAILABLE! - ADVANCE TICKETS - 518.295.7734 or skinner@...
      OR ENJOY THE DEMOCRAT CLUB SAUSAGE PEPPERS & ONIONS
      OR TRY THE OLD FIRE HOUSE HOT DOGS AND BURGERS

                                                  Saturday Evening At The Gallupville House
      PASSPORTS HONORED
      Presidential PEACH Shortcake & THEATER
      6 PM - Wright Democrat Club Peach Shortcake $5 at the door
      *President Lincoln’s Address to the Hamlet * BRING YOUR CAMERA!!
      MEET THE PRESIDENT $1 donation - proceeds to The Gallupville House Assoc.
      * ADVANCE TICKETS! 518.872.1091 or snowdeersnow@...
      8 PM – Uncle Billy’s Balladeers – Celebrating Lincoln & Liberty
      $2 - at the door PASSPORTS HONORED
      Poetry & Music from the Civil War - interactive theater! Sponsored by the Gallupville House Association - Come ready to sing!
      * ADVANCE TICKETS! 518.295.8142 or rsherman4@...
      EVENT PASSPORT TICKETS AVAILABLE FOR ONLY $12.00!
      Friday stew & show and Saturday shortcake & show!

      FRIDAY NIGHT SCHEDULE
      The Old Fire House – School Street, Gallupville
      6:00 PM - Camp Vedder Beef Stew Dinner - music by The Knox Traditional Strings

                      7:45 PM  - Guest speakers: Welcome to the Harvey Welch Project and Preservation of the

                                         Union Festival SUV Jr. Vice Commander & Harvey Welch Project Chairman

                                         Lawrence “Eli” Bradish Preservation of the Union Festival Event

                                         Overview - Event Chairman Richard Sherman

                     8 PM - Guest Speakers: Local Historian & Researcher Peter Lindemann will present a brief

                             History of the Grand Army of the Republic and the Sons of Union Veterans.

                             Local Historian & Researcher Richard Sherman will talk about Ellsworth’s Fire Zouaves

      SATURDAY SCHEDULE
      8:30 PM – PARTICIPANTS ASSEMBLE AT THE GRAVE SITE - KUMP ROAD - DRESS REHERSAL
      9 AM – HARVEY WELCH GRAVESIDE CEREMONY

      11AM – Eileen Patch – "Voice from the Civil War" – from Ms. Patch’s website: - ”Because a grieving mother saved the Civil War letters her son wrote home from his service in the 89th NY, Eileen Patch of Endwell, NY inherited them. She transcribed, researched and annotated the 59 letters. Dressed as her great grandmother, Sarah Englis in historically accurate 1880s clothes, Ms. Patch will look back 20 years to the war and read excerpts from the soldier's letters. The letters, many signed "This from George," are a brief history of service in the 89th New York Regiment from 1861 until 1865 as seen through the eyes of a Corbettsville farm boy. They gradually reveal the personality and values of Sergeant George Magusta Englis; each letter puts the reader closer to the soldier's soul.”
      Sergeant George Magusta Englis served in the same Company of the 89th NY Volunteers as our Private Harvey Welch. – The Gallupville House

      1:00 PM – Ken Jones –Esperence Museum Director and Curator – Speaks on Capt. George Turnbull of the 134th NY Volunteer Regiment – He will also have a display throughout the afternoon of 134th items from the Esperence Museum and his personal collection. – The Old Firehouse

      2:30 PM - Dan Houde – Historian and Civil War Reenactor – Freemasonry and the Civil War  – The Old Firehouse - Dan will be joined by members of the 77th NY Regiment of Volunteers from Gloversville NY. Talk with the soldiers and learn about their accoutrements and the life of a Union Soldier – Throughout the community

      4:00 PM – Gerald Wright – Researcher on Col. Simon Hoosick Mix – Jerry is a descendent of Col. Mix and brings his ancestor’s memory to life. S. Hoosick Mix, of Schoharie, organized the 3d New York Cavalry. The regiment was mustered into service, August 12, 1861. - The Gallupville House

      6 PM – Town of Wright Democrat Club - Peach Shortcake  – The Gallupville House
      PRESIDENT LINCOLN ADDDRESS TO THE HAMLET OF GALLUPVILLE

      7:30 PM – Uncle Billy’s Balladeers & Lincoln Program – The Gallupville House

      ALL DAY LONG
      * Olde Corner Store Checkers Tournament
      ·          1854 Methodist Church Open House & the Sons of Union Veterans On-Line Genealogy site
      ·          Wright Republican Club Chicken Dinner – School Street

      DISPLAY AND LECTURE VENUES
      Eileen Patch – The Gallupville House - the corner of Route 443 and Factory Street

      Ken Jones – Old Fire House

      SUV Genealogy Site – The Activities Building porch across from the 1854 Methodist Church
      on Factory Street

      Dan Houde – Soldiers Life area – Old Fire House

      77th NY Volunteers – move throughout the community at your discretion and talk with the public as July 1865 soldiers just returned home. Enjoy the guest speakers as well.

      Charlie Slater – member Corporal Tanner Camp #134 Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War member – Displays family documents and items from his ancestor Pvt. Andrew J. Philhour - Co. C, 2nd Ohio Infantry – The Gallupville House

      It's here! Your new message!
    • Andrew Danish
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2007
        I wish I could make this event, I live in Albany so it's only 45 minutes
        away.
        But my unit is already committed to an event in Vienna, NY the same weekend.
        If you ever have it again let us know. As early as possible please so that
        we can
        add it to our schedule.

        Thanks,
        Andy Danish