Re: New Scooter Rider here

  • maknak
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
      All,

      In response to hplangford's request (as well as all the other private requests from members of this group), I took a couple of pictures of the caliper brake modification that I made to my Street Xootr. I've uploaded them to the Photos section of this yahoogroups website. The link is:

      These brakes will enable your Xootr to come to a safe stop, when the roads are wet or rainy. The brakes grip the sides of the wheel and are not affected if the road conditions are wet or slippery. This particular Xootr has traveled all around the world with me, so if the brakes look real worn, well, they are. I am in the process of modifying several more Xootrs, especially a used Venus that I just purchased and when I get them done, I'll post pictures of these as well.

      I also received several inquiries about where others could get their Xootrs modified, but since Xootr doesn't offer such a kit, if you are handy, you could probably figure out how to do it yourself, just from looking at the pictures. However, being a mechanical engineer, I suppose I could make up some kits, with all the parts and instructions, on how to install this modification to your Xootr, soif anyone is interested in getting a kit like this, let me know and I can work up a price for these mod kits.

      Best regards,

      Mikey Knackerson

      --- In NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com, "hplangford" <alsopam@...> wrote:

      > Wow, a Husky and a Know-ped sounds like fun.
      >
      > I'd love to see a photo of the cycle brake you have added to your Xootrs. What kind of brake did you use?
      >
      > Thanks for sharing your story -- I found it fascinating.
      >
      > Pam

    • hplangford
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
        Thanks for posting the pictures. That looks fascinated and fairly easy to do.

        Pam
      • Perry Fletcher
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
          hey Maknak,

          good write-up. Picked up an esla 4100 last year to get around biketrail, the village, and exercise. Like how the Xootr looks, rolls....but would go for a bit lower price.

          I push/scoot/kick up here in Fair Oaks, CA(Sacramento county) and dig my newly acquired Dahon Mariner D7......fits fine in girlfriends mercedes. Red cover($20) is quite convenient.

          cheers, fletch

          To: NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com
          From: maknak@...
          Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:26:10 +0000
          Subject: [NYCKickScooters] Re: New Scooter Rider here

          All,

          In response to hplangford's request (as well as all the other private requests from members of this group), I took a couple of pictures of the caliper brake modification that I made to my Street Xootr. I've uploaded them to the Photos section of this yahoogroups website. The link is:

          These brakes will enable your Xootr to come to a safe stop, when the roads are wet or rainy. The brakes grip the sides of the wheel and are not affected if the road conditions are wet or slippery. This particular Xootr has traveled all around the world with me, so if the brakes look real worn, well, they are. I am in the process of modifying several more Xootrs, especially a used Venus that I just purchased and when I get them done, I'll post pictures of these as well.

          I also received several inquiries about where others could get their Xootrs modified, but since Xootr doesn't offer such a kit, if you are handy, you could probably figure out how to do it yourself, just from looking at the pictures. However, being a mechanical engineer, I suppose I could make up some kits, with all the parts and instructions, on how to install this modification to your Xootr, soif anyone is interested in getting a kit like this, let me know and I can work up a price for these mod kits.

          Best regards,

          Mikey Knackerson

          --- In NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com, "hplangford" <alsopam@...> wrote:

          > Wow, a Husky and a Know-ped sounds like fun.
          >
          > I'd love to see a photo of the cycle brake you have added to your Xootrs. What kind of brake did you use?
          >
          > Thanks for sharing your story -- I found it fascinating.
          >
          > Pam

        • hplangford
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
            Now that I've had time to look at this, I have a few questions.

            First, is there any particular reason you choose a side-pull brake?

            Second, did you attach the cable to the existing caliper, or did you add one and leave the Xootr brake in place?

            Finally, have you gone head-over-heels because that brake has more power than the brake the Xootr comes with? I have visions of myself doing that.

            Thanks again for sharing this information! I do think this brake addition would be really helpful.

            Pam
          • maknak
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
              Pam,

              I chose a side pull brake because I cannibalized one from an old clunker bicycle that I didn't ride anymore. However, in thinking about it, the side pull design does allow me to simply attach the existing Xootr cable directly to the caliper, while avoiding having to modify the upright tube to anchor the cable as would be required for a center pull brake design.

              As for the existing Xootr brake assembly, I completely removed it and pitched it into the trash bin, leaving just the mounting hole on the sides of the front forks. Btw, I was quaintly amused that such a high tech scooter would use such an antiquated "shoe" type brake design, that was last used on stage coach wheels, circa 1855.

              I was also concerned about these brakes flipping me over the handlebars, but that was just not the case. The braking power is probably about 1.5x that of the stock Xootr brake design and even with a really hard application of the brake, I just get a sensation of smooth and steady braking. The caliper design will cause the sides of the front wheel to wear somewhat, but the outside diameter of the wheel doesn't end up with funny wear marks due to the stock brake design. The real and true benefit of the caliper design brakes is when its wet outside, since the brake works the same under those conditions as when its dry outside. Perhaps I need to video stopping in both dry and wet conditions and then post these videos on YouTube?

              I hope that helps to further understand these brakes and btw, you're welcome to the information (and advanced technology....grin).

              Mikey

              --- In NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com, "hplangford" <alsopam@...> wrote:

              > Now that I've had time to look at this, I have a few questions.
              >
              > First, is there any particular reason you choose a side-pull brake?
              >
              > Second, did you attach the cable to the existing caliper, or did you add one and leave the Xootr brake in place?
              >
              > Finally, have you gone head-over-heels because that brake has more power than the brake the Xootr comes with? I have visions of myself doing that.
              >
              > Thanks again for sharing this information! I do think this brake addition would be really helpful.
              >
              > Pam

            • alyna.waters
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
                I think that you did a really great job with the pics!

                Pam's question intrigued me because I have visions of adding this to the back brake just to avoid that problem. One thing I've noticed, in the short while I've had the Xootr, is that, at least on the MG, I wish the board had more texture, especially in wet conditions - so how to add texture without ruining it? I was actually thinking of trying to set up the rear break cable UNDER one of those vinyl tub mats, you know, the kind with suction cups, and then covering the top of it with the grit like they use on skateboards. Then run the cable under the mat - this would make sure that the cable wouldn't hit the ground, wouldn't interfere with folding, would be accessible for repairs, and the board would feel even safer as well as allowing a place for the cable to run and stay in place without getting tripped up on it in any way. I know some people don't like the ride of the Xootr, I don't mind it at all but I think I probably will only ever do 4-8 miles in total throughout a day but this may cushion it for the people that dislike the bumpy feel on rough pavement as well.

                Thoughts?

                Thank you for posting the pics!
                ~ Alyna