Laws for riding scooters

  • bigbadman0
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
      What are the laws regarding riding kick scooters on city streets? Are
      they pedestrians that ride on the sidewalk or are the considered
      vehicles that need to ride in the street? Riding in the street sounds
      dangerous.

      Does anyone know the rules and/or have experiences they can relate?
    • Dorlene Kaplan
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
        I spoke to an authority at the Dept. of Transportation who informed me that there are no laws against riding a kick scooter on the sidewalks in NYC. Not yet. That said, I feel safer in the street, where you ride with traffic and in the bike lanes wherever possible. You need to be careful of taxi doors opening unexpectedly -- it's happened to me more than once -- and watch for ruts in the road. If you scoot on the sidewalk always cross the grooves at an angle, be wary of people meandering and darting in and out of stores, and ride slowly.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
          I agree with Dorlene...I feel safer in the street, since I can take bumps
          better (jump/kick over) at high speeds than at sidewalk speeds...all those
          sidewalk grooves kill me.

          Do watch out for subways, though...I once rose my Xootr down a long, empty
          passageway and got a $100 ticket at the end!

          On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Dorlene Kaplan <dorlene@...> wrote:

          > I spoke to an authority at the Dept. of Transportation who informed me
          > that there are no laws against riding a kick scooter on the sidewalks in
          > NYC. Not yet. That said, I feel safer in the street, where you ride with
          > traffic and in the bike lanes wherever possible. You need to be careful of
          > taxi doors opening unexpectedly -- it's happened to me more than once -- and
          > watch for ruts in the road. If you scoot on the sidewalk always cross the
          > grooves at an angle, be wary of people meandering and darting in and out of
          > stores, and ride slowly.
          >
          > --- On Mon, 8/4/08, bigbadman0 <bigbadman0@...<bigbadman0%40yahoo.com>>
          > wrote:
          > From: bigbadman0 <bigbadman0@... <bigbadman0%40yahoo.com>>
          > Subject: [NYCKickScooters] Laws for riding scooters
          > To: NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com <NYCKickScooters%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Monday, August 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
          >

          > What are the laws regarding riding kick scooters on city streets? Are
          >
          > they pedestrians that ride on the sidewalk or are the considered
          >
          > vehicles that need to ride in the street? Riding in the street sounds
          >
          > dangerous.
          >
          > Does anyone know the rules and/or have experiences they can relate?

          Daniel Stillman
          http://www.design21sdn.com/people/28/posts
          http://www.coroflot.com/dstillman

        • John Margiotta
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
            It's funny, but I've never considered riding in the street.  One of the main benefits of a scooter from my point of view was that I could not identify any laws against riding them on the sidewalks, which made them different from bikes and far less risky in my opinion.  I know too many people who've cracked up their bikes commuting.  I only ever ride on the sidewalk, but try to stay essentially on York, where pedestrian traffic is very light.   In two years of riding I've gotten two negative comments.  One from a guy who told me to slow down, even though he was sitting on a bench and not actually on the sidewalk, and the second from an oldish lady (just two days ago), who called me an idiot.  When I stopped to ask her why she said that, she told me that I should not be riding on the sidewalk.  I wasn't as nice to her in replying as I might have been.

            Those who ride in the street, do you wear helmets?  I do not wear one riding on the sidewalk; another nice benefit from my point of view.
             From: daniel stillman <dastillman@...>
            Subject: Re: [NYCKickScooters] Laws for riding scooters
            To: NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Monday, August 4, 2008, 5:47 PM

            On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Dorlene Kaplan <dorlene@yahoo. com> wrote:

            > I spoke to an authority at the Dept. of Transportation who informed me
            > that there are no laws against riding a kick scooter on the sidewalks in
            > NYC. Not yet. That said, I feel safer in the street, where you ride with
            > traffic and in the bike lanes wherever possible. You need to be careful of
            > taxi doors opening unexpectedly -- it's happened to me more than once -- and
            > watch for ruts in the road. If you scoot on the sidewalk always cross the
            > grooves at an angle, be wary of people meandering and darting in and out of
            > stores, and ride slowly.
            >
            > --- On Mon, 8/4/08, bigbadman0 <bigbadman0@yahoo. com<bigbadman0% 40yahoo.com> >
            > wrote:
            > From: bigbadman0 <bigbadman0@yahoo. com <bigbadman0% 40yahoo.com> >
            > Subject: [NYCKickScooters] Laws for riding scooters
            > To: NYCKickScooters@ yahoogroups. com <NYCKickScooters% 40yahoogroups. com>
            > Date: Monday, August 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
            >

            > What are the laws regarding riding kick scooters on city streets? Are
            >
            > they pedestrians that ride on the sidewalk or are the considered
            >
            > vehicles that need to ride in the street? Riding in the street sounds
            >
            > dangerous.
            >
            > Does anyone know the rules and/or have experiences they can relate?

            Daniel Stillman
            http://www.design21 sdn.com/people/ 28/posts
            http://www.coroflot .com/dstillman

          • Phil
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
              I live out west and do most of my riding on streets, highway shoulders, and paved bike
              trails.  My riding conditions are not usually so urban, but being an avid xootr rider I'm
              naturally conscious of maintaining my right to the road, and so I was following this conversation with some interest.  The only places where law enforcement has actually
              confronted me and threatened me with a citation for riding a xootr on the road is in national parks and monuments.  This has happened in more than one, so I assume that it must be a consistent policy.  In a couple of the these (Zion and Arches) there are also some short
              stretches of paved bike path where the rangers said that I could ride.  In most of these
              sites, the roads are narrow and the traffic is unpredictable, and so I don't consider losing
              those rides to be a big deal.

              I've been riding consistently in my small community in Utah for over five years now, and I think that all the local police and deputies are probably familiar with me.  Being the only adult representative of this sport here that I know of, I make a reasonable effort to be courteous in traffic (pedestrian and motorized), and I often wave and smile at the local cops when they drive past (only for PR purposes, of course). Sometimes they wave back, and they've never bothered me.  My town is a tourist destination with heavy pedestrian use of the downtown sidewalks, and there are signs prohibiting bicycles, skateboards, etc. posted there.  I think that's a backwards attitude, but I usually honor it anyway in the hope that my particular device won't cross the radar of the people who might want to crash my party.  I worry that some people automatically peg me as an outlaw skateboarder,  and so I want to dispel that notion when possible.  Not that I have
              anything against responsible boarding, other than the fact that those devices usually lack brakes, which seems like an unnecessary risk when other people are around.

               From: daniel stillman <dastillman@...>
              To: NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Monday, August 4, 2008, 5:47 PM

              wrote:

              > I spoke to an authority at the Dept. of Transportation who informed me
              > that there are no laws against riding a kick scooter on the sidewalks in
              > NYC. Not yet. That said, I feel safer in the street, where you ride with
              > traffic and in the bike lanes wherever possible. You need to be careful of
              > taxi doors opening unexpectedly -- it's happened to me more than once
              -- and
              > watch for ruts in the road. If you scoot on the sidewalk always cross the
              > grooves at an angle, be wary of people meandering and darting in and out
              of
              > stores, and ride slowly.
              >
              > --- On Mon, 8/4/08, bigbadman0 <bigbadman0@yahoo. com<bigbadman0%
              40yahoo.com> >
              > wrote:
              > From: bigbadman0 <bigbadman0@yahoo. com <bigbadman0% 40yahoo.com>
              >
              > Subject: [NYCKickScooters] Laws for riding scooters
              > To: NYCKickScooters@ yahoogroups. com <NYCKickScooters% 40yahoogroups.
              com>
              > Date: Monday, August 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
              >

              > What are the laws regarding riding kick scooters on city streets? Are
              >
              > they pedestrians that ride on the sidewalk or are the considered
              >
              > vehicles that need to ride in the street? Riding in the street sounds
              >
              > dangerous.
              >
              > Does anyone know the rules and/or have experiences they can relate?

              Daniel Stillman
              http://www.design21 sdn.com/people/ 28/posts
              http://www.coroflot .com/dstillman

            • Dorlene
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
                Bummer, Daniel! Most of the subway stations are too congested to
                consider riding a scooter in them but some are not. I used to ride the
                F between 57th/6th and Roosevelt Island and the stations were usually
                deserted so I'd scoot in them. One time a subway employee stopped me
                so I haven't done it since. I guess if you get caught by a police
                officer it will cost you.

                I know that cyclists get ticketed for riding on the footpaths in
                Central Park but don't know if that applies to kick scooters. I
                suppose one of these days I'll find out!

                --- In NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com, "daniel stillman"

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
                  I do not wear a helmut, John. Not on the street, not on the sidewalk,
                  not in the park, I do not wear one anywhere! I don't wear sunscreen
                  either. Please don't admonish me. I hear it all the time!

                  --- In NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com, John Margiotta

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
                    You've been riding a kick scooter for five years and you're still the only adult scootist where you live, Phil? Amazing! One of these days the people in your community will catch on to what a terrific mode of transportation it is. Meanwhile you're setting a good example for kick scooter courtesy.

                    From: John Margiotta <swimminglaps@ yahoo.com>

                    To: NYCKickScooters@ yahoogroups. com

                     From: daniel stillman <dastillman@gmail. com>

                    To: NYCKickScooters@ yahoogroups. com

                    Date: Monday, August 4, 2008, 5:47 PM

                    wrote:

                    > I spoke to an authority at the Dept. of Transportation who informed me

                    > that there are no laws against riding a kick scooter on the sidewalks in

                    > NYC. Not yet. That said, I feel safer in the street, where you ride with

                    > traffic and in the bike lanes wherever possible. You need to be careful of

                    > taxi doors opening unexpectedly -- it's happened to me more than once

                    -- and

                    > watch for ruts in the road. If you scoot on the sidewalk always cross the

                    > grooves at an angle, be wary of people meandering and darting in and out

                    of

                    > stores, and ride slowly.

                    > --- On Mon, 8/4/08, bigbadman0 <bigbadman0@ yahoo. com<bigbadman0%

                    40yahoo.com> >

                    > wrote:

                    > From: bigbadman0 <bigbadman0@ yahoo. com <bigbadman0% 40yahoo.com>

                    > Subject: [NYCKickScooters] Laws for riding scooters

                    > To: NYCKickScooters@ yahoogroups. com <NYCKickScooters% 40yahoogroups.

                    com>

                    > Date: Monday, August 4, 2008, 11:54 AM

                    > What are the laws regarding riding kick scooters on city streets? Are

                    > they pedestrians that ride on the sidewalk or are the considered

                    > vehicles that need to ride in the street? Riding in the street sounds

                    > dangerous.

                    > Does anyone know the rules and/or have experiences they can relate?

                    Daniel Stillman

                    http://www.design21 sdn.com/people/ 28/posts

                    http://www.coroflot .com/dstillman

                  • Perry Fletcher
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 4, 2008
                      Been scootering out here(Sacramento,CA) about 5 months and just got the first flat from a goat-head. This I can handle.....

                      Still waiting for someone to put up a 'tude with these clean, fun, healthy vehicles. My plan is to stop, pull over and ask......"are you having a good day?" Or ........"remember when you were a kid and enjoyed cruising along on a bicycle/skateboard/scooter?.........want to take this one for a spin?" The goal is to turn on more people to getting on board with alternative Xportation.

                      fletch

                      To: NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.comFrom: dorlene@...: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 19:27:21 -0700Subject: Re: [NYCKickScooters] Laws for riding scooters

                      You've been riding a kick scooter for five years and you're still the only adult scootist where you live, Phil? Amazing! One of these days the people in your community will catch on to what a terrific mode of transportation it is. Meanwhile you're setting a good example for kick scooter courtesy. --- On Mon, 8/4/08, Phil <philbostic2003@...> wrote:From: Phil <philbostic2003@...>Subject: Re: [NYCKickScooters] Laws for riding scootersTo: NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.comDate: Monday, August 4, 2008, 7:57 PMI live out west and do most of my riding on streets, highway shoulders, and paved biketrails. My riding conditions are not usually so urban, but being an avid xootr rider I'mnaturally conscious of maintaining my right to the road, and so I was following this conversation with some interest. The only places where law enforcement has actuallyconfronted me and threatened me with a citation for riding a xootr on the road is in national parks and monuments. This has happened in more than one, so I assume that it must be a consistent policy. In a couple of the these (Zion and Arches) there are also some shortstretches of paved bike path where the rangers said that I could ride. In most of thesesites, the roads are narrow and the traffic is unpredictable, and so I don't consider losingthose rides to be a big deal. I've been riding consistently in my small community in Utah for over five years now, and I think that all the local police and deputies are probably familiar with me. Being the only adult representative of this sport here that I know of, I make a reasonable effort to be courteous in traffic (pedestrian and motorized), and I often wave and smile at the local cops when they drive past (only for PR purposes, of course). Sometimes they wave back, and they've never bothered me. My town is a tourist destination with heavy pedestrian use of the downtown sidewalks, and there are signs prohibiting bicycles, skateboards, etc. posted there. I think that's a backwards attitude, but I usually honor it anyway in the hope that my particular device won't cross the radar of the people who might want to crash my party. I worry that some people automatically peg me as an outlaw skateboarder, and so I want to dispel that notion when possible. Not that I haveanything against responsible boarding, other than the fact that those devices usually lack brakes, which seems like an unnecessary risk when other people are around. --- On Mon, 8/4/08, John Margiotta <swimminglaps@ yahoo.com> wrote:From: John Margiotta <swimminglaps@ yahoo.com>Subject: Re: [NYCKickScooters] Laws for riding scootersTo: NYCKickScooters@ yahoogroups. comDate: Monday, August 4, 2008, 4:03 PMIt's funny, but I've never considered riding in the street. One of themain benefits of a scooter from my point of view was that I could not identifyany laws against riding them on the sidewalks, which made them different frombikes and far less risky in my opinion. I know too many people who'vecracked up their bikes commuting. I only ever ride on the sidewalk, but try tostay essentially on York, where pedestrian traffic is very light. In twoyears of riding I've gotten two negative comments. One from a guy whotold me to slow down, even though he was sitting on a bench and not actually onthe sidewalk, and the second from an oldish lady (just two days ago), who calledme an idiot. When I stopped to ask her why she said that, she told me that Ishould not be riding on the sidewalk. I wasn't as nice to her inreplying as I might have been. Those who ride in the street, do you wear helmets? I do not wear one ridingon the sidewalk; another nice benefit from my point of view. From: daniel stillman <dastillman@gmail. com>Subject: Re: [NYCKickScooters] Laws for riding scootersTo: NYCKickScooters@ yahoogroups. comDate: Monday, August 4, 2008, 5:47 PMI agree with Dorlene...I feel safer in the street, since I can take bumpsbetter (jump/kick over) at high speeds than at sidewalk speeds...all thosesidewalk grooves kill me.Do watch out for subways, though...I once rose my Xootr down a long, emptypassageway and got a $100 ticket at the end!On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Dorlene Kaplan <dorlene@yahoo. com>wrote:> I spoke to an authority at the Dept. of Transportation who informed me> that there are no laws against riding a kick scooter on the sidewalks in> NYC. Not yet. That said, I feel safer in the street, where you ride with> traffic and in the bike lanes wherever possible. You need to be careful of> taxi doors opening unexpectedly -- it's happened to me more than once-- and> watch for ruts in the road. If you scoot on the sidewalk always cross the> grooves at an angle, be wary of people meandering and darting in and outof> stores, and ride slowly.>> --- On Mon, 8/4/08, bigbadman0 <bigbadman0@ yahoo. com<bigbadman0%40yahoo.com> >> wrote:> From: bigbadman0 <bigbadman0@ yahoo. com <bigbadman0% 40yahoo.com>>> Subject: [NYCKickScooters] Laws for riding scooters> To: NYCKickScooters@ yahoogroups. com <NYCKickScooters% 40yahoogroups.com>> Date: Monday, August 4, 2008, 11:54 AM>>> What are the laws regarding riding kick scooters on city streets? Are>> they pedestrians that ride on the sidewalk or are the considered>> vehicles that need to ride in the street? Riding in the street sounds>> dangerous.>> Does anyone know the rules and/or have experiences they can relate?>>>>>>>>>>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>> >-- Daniel Stillmanhttp://www.design21 sdn.com/people/ 28/postshttp://www.coroflot .com/dstillman[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]------------ --------- --------- ------Yahoo! Groups Links[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                    • Phil
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 5, 2008
                        Dorlene and Fletch: Thanks for the encouragement.  In five years of scootering the only
                        really intimidating harassment I remember has come from motorists.  Unfortunately (or
                        perhaps fortunately) I never have a chance to make a proper reply as they speed away.
                        Surprisingly though, I got a lot more of that when I was a hardcore cyclist.  Maybe
                        people's curiosity (or sense of humor) overcomes their hostility when they see an adult
                        seriously kicking along the road on a scooter.

                        Fletch:  I've actually done something like what you plan to do on several occasions, although it's always been in response to a curious or otherwise friendly comment from
                        someone.  That's a great idea though- to try and turn a hostile encounter
                        around and maybe win a convert.  It's going to take some discipline though.  When I'm
                        out kicking and in a groove and all pumped on endorphins, my natural reaction is to
                        lapse into a temper when someone harasses me.  My worst side comes out when
                        someone lets their unleashed dog chase after me, and then acts like its nothing, or
                        becomes indignant when I try to defend myself with a kick (small dogs!).

                        I really do get a lot of encouragement from cyclists (they seem to like to clock my speed
                        and tell me how fast I'm going) and pedestrians.  Some people assume that I'm motorized,
                        and are surprised to discover that I'm moving like that under my own power.  Lots of "hey-
                        cool scooter, dude" from kids, which totally surprises me.  Only once a young skater
                        dude called me a queer (I still can't figure out what riding a scooter has to do with one's
                        sexual orientation).  I've stopped several times to let some particularly curious person try it out. I always tell them "hey- you're getting it already!"-  sometimes they actually are.
                        I'll never forget an evening a couple of years ago when I passed a gentleman who was out for a walk.  I was climbing a hill and concentrating hard, so there was time for an exchange.
                        He observed me thoughtfully and said "you're really a serious man on that thing."  I think he
                        got it.

                        Been scootering out here(Sacramento,CA) about 5 months and just got the first
                        flat from a goat-head. This I can handle.....

                        Still waiting for someone to put up a 'tude with these clean, fun,
                        healthy vehicles. My plan is to stop, pull over and ask......"are you
                        having a good day?" Or ........"remember when you were a kid and
                        enjoyed cruising along on a bicycle/skateboard/scooter?.........want to take
                        this one for a spin?" The goal is to turn on more people to getting
                        on board with alternative Xportation.

                        fletch

                        To: NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.comFrom: dorlene@...: Mon, 4 Aug 2008
                        19:27:21 -0700Subject: Re: [NYCKickScooters] Laws for riding scooters

                      • gluck18
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 5, 2008
                          Since you bring up Central Park ... I've been stopped by Police and Park rangers and asked
                          to get off my bike, though I haven't been ticketed, but I haven't had that experience
                          xootring in the park.
                          Does anyone know if scooters are technically allowed on Central Park footpaths? Anyone
                          ever get stopped?