New member seeks advice before her 1st scooter purchase

  • Kristine
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
      Hello Everyone,

      I am a new member hoping for some much-needed advice.

      I am trying to decide on a kick scooter to buy for my shorter
      Manhattan
      commutes. It will be my first scooter. I was going to get the razor
      pro, until I heard that the small wheels were not the best at handling
      bumps, twigs, & cracks. I cannot spend more than $120, and I am hoping
      to spend less than $80.

      I am looking the most at the Titan ("freestyle pro") brand scooter
      and
      the Viza air push scooter.
      I was also looking alot at the razor cruiser.

      I am 5'8, and with my huge loaded back-pack, I am probably going to
      weigh a little over 150lbs.

      I am sure there are many more makes and models out there, though, and
      would really appreciate your suggestions!!! Any reviews of the titan,
      Viza,cruiser or similar scooters would be wonderful.

      Thank You!! :)
      Kristine spark_488
    • mfiedler_il
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
        --- In NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com, "Kristine" <spark_488@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I am a new member hoping for some much-needed advice.
        >
        > I am trying to decide on a kick scooter to buy for my shorter
        > Manhattan
        > commutes. It will be my first scooter. I was going to get the razor
        > pro, until I heard that the small wheels were not the best at handling
        > bumps, twigs, & cracks. I cannot spend more than $120, and I am hoping
        > to spend less than $80.
        >
        > I am looking the most at the Titan ("freestyle pro") brand scooter
        > and
        > the Viza air push scooter.
        > I was also looking alot at the razor cruiser.
        >
        > I am 5'8, and with my huge loaded back-pack, I am probably going to
        > weigh a little over 150lbs.
        >
        > I am sure there are many more makes and models out there, though, and
        > would really appreciate your suggestions!!! Any reviews of the titan,
        > Viza,cruiser or similar scooters would be wonderful.
        >
        > Thank You!! :)
        > Kristine spark_488

        Hi Kristine,

        Bratan (in this group) posted about wanting to sell his Xootr MG.
        ---
        I've decided to sell my Xootr MG, so if anyone interested I have it on
        craigslist: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/745414231.html
        ---
        I got the MG as a first Xootr and am really happy with its performance.
      • Dorlene
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
          Thank you for considering a kick scooter for commuting in Manhattan,
          Kristine.

          Your price ceiling limits you to the narrow platform, small-wheel
          Razor-type scooters, which aren't safe for adult commuting. Not only
          do they not handle bumps, ruts, twigs and sidewalk grooves well, but
          they tend to fishtail easily.

          The only two kick scooters currently manufactured that are suitable
          for adult urban transport are the Xootr (http://www.xootr.com) and the
          Know-Ped (http://www.goped.com/products/knowped/default.asp). You can
          buy a new Know-Ped for $139 on this website:
          http://store.gopedbrandscooters.com/knowped.html.

          If you're willing to pay this amount and want to try before you buy, I
          have a Know-Ped you're welcome to borrow for a couple of days. If not,
          I recommend you consider purchasing a bicycle instead. There's a
          nice-looking 10-speed on CraigsList for just $50:
          http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/746184744.html.
        • rolbud
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
            Hi Kristine,

            Good luck in your search for your first scooter.

            I have a Xootr MG, which I use for commuting. Like you, I sometimes
            carry a heavy backpack (containing a laptop). I couldn't imagine
            carrying this backpack on a smaller, narrower deck than the Xootr.

            Many inexpensive scooters have smaller, "rollerblade" style wheels
            that require more kicking to keep up momentum. Look for the largest
            diameter wheel you can find, to get maximum efficiency in your commute.

            One design feature I appreciate on the Xootr scooter is the front hand
            brake. Inexpensive scooters only have a rear brake, which is not ideal
            for commuting with a loaded backpack.

            The wider deck of a Xootr allows you to switch kicking feet easily and
            allows you to get a good center of balance.

            Research carefully and make sure the reviews you read are from people
            who use the scooter the way you intend to use it. There are many rave
            reviews about Razor scooters, but many reviewers use them for stunts
            and "street tricks". The features that make many scooters great for
            street tricks also make them not ideal for commuting.

            I suggest trying to find a used Xootr. But even if you find a good
            quality used scooter, factor in that you may have to replace worn out
            components sooner than you think. Wheels, brake components, and
            bearings need replacement and maintenance. The price of "fixing up" an
            old scooter may be higher than just buying a good high quality new
            scooter.

            Whatever scooter you purchase, try to find out the cost of replacement
            wheels and bearings. You may be surprised at the cost of maintaining
            your scooter once you have it.

            You may want to consider saving up a little longer until you can
            purchase a scooter designed specifically for commuting such as a Xootr
            or possibly a Knowped. Both of these scooters are above your price
            point, but you may be better off saving up a bit more and buy later,
            rather than being disappointed in a less expensive alternative now.

            Of course, I always hear about people finding incredible deals online,
            and you might be one of them. If you can find a used Xootr MG in good
            condition for $80, buy it!!! Good luck in purchasing your scooter!
          • Dorlene
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 10, 2008
              Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough advice to Kristine, Rolbud.
              I think that many people who know the cost of a Razor assume that
              Xootrs are over-priced. I ride a Xootr Roma, which has a narrow
              platform (I don't switch feet) and is often mistaken for a Razor. When
              people ask me about it and I tell them the cost they seem surprised
              and often comment that they've seen them in ads or stores for $20 or
              $30. It's difficult to convince them that a Xootr is different from a
              Razor and well worth the price. I scoot every day and, other than the
              brakes, have had very little need for maintenance.

              I suggest trying NYCeWheels (http://nycewheels.com) for a used Xootr.
              I know one person who got a good buy on one there.
            • Kristine
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 15, 2008
                Hello,
                Everyone, thank you so much for your kind help and advice!
                I decided on a knowped :)
                I can't wait to get it in the mail!!!

                Thanks again!!!
                Kristine