Re: Fuzion CityGlide vs Razor A5 Lux (and Hello! [^_^])

  • John V
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2012
      I have owned a Fuzion CityGlide for about a year. I haven't tried a Razor A5 Lux, so I can't compare the two, but I can at least give you some specifications for the CityGlide. I e-mailed Nextsport (manufacturer of the CityGlide and other Fuzion scooters) re: specs and here is their reply (edited slightly):

      1. The CityGlide folds up for easy transportation. It uses our patented quick fold system for simple and seamless folding.

      2. The wheels are just under 8 inches (roughly 205 mm).

      3. Wheel bearings are ABEC 5.

      4. The brake works like a standard rear fender brake but it is NOT coil spring based and reduces vibration found on many other scooters.

      5. The handlebar telescopes for 30"-39" from the ground.

      6. Maximum recommended rider weight is 175 lbs. but for simple commuting we've had riders use it regularly who are well over that limit.

      7. The deck is 22.5" long by 4" wide, with 13 inches of actual foot space in the center of the deck. It stands just over 2.5" off the ground at the top of the deck and just under 2" from the bottom of the deck.

      8. The scooter is made from a combination of steel and aluminum parts.

      I've enjoyed riding the scooter this past year. I don't use it for commuting to work, but I do ride it on roads and parking lots of the office park when I have 15 minute breaks, just to get some exercise. I periodically ride it on fairly new mile-long sidewalk near where I live, at a time when there are few pedestrians walking
      on it.

      The steering column does loosen up periodically, especially if I have ridden over surfaces with numerous bumps/cracks. The scooter comes with several allen wrenches, one of which I use to tighten the steering column. I have an early generation CityGlide, which only has one bolt for tightening the steering column. Newer CityGlides have two bolts to tighten, so maybe the steering column doesn't loosen up as much.

      If you have more questions, try e-mailing Nextsport at info@...

      John V. in NH

      --- In NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com, "J" <Dirt_Herder@...> wrote:

      > Hi, long time lurker, new member.
      >
      > I've been shopping around for a scooter for my wife and myself for some time now and have been going back and forth between the much more expensive options (such as the Xootrs, Kickpeds and Micro Blacks/Whites) and the more economical ones (such as the Razor A5s and the Fuzion CityGlides).
      >
      > I've had a chance to try out Xootrs, GoPeds, Razor A5s and Razor Cruisers (as well as some of the smaller Razors), as my workplace is absolutely teeming with them (and my coworkers are pretty generous about allowing their colleagues to test-drive their rides), but as our primary purpose for procuring these scooters is so that we can scoot around town with our daughter, it has narrowed down our criteria a bit.
      >
      > The two scooters that seem to fit our needs the most seem to be the Razor A5 Lux and the Fuzion CityGlide. This is based off of the fact that they are both relatively affordable, durable, light, easily foldable (and carried), moderately quick, and do a fair job of handling the rougher terrain of scooting around town (as opposed to scooting the super smooth concrete of my workplace... for which I will admit the Xootr was an absolute dream).
      >
      > Based on specs alone I would tend to lean more towards it over the A5 Lux. It is longer, so would provide more space for my feet (and maybe a bit more of a stable ride?). Taller, so would provide more leeway in regards to adjusting the height of the handlebars. Has wider handlebars, so would provide a bit more elbow room... er... for my elbows... Seems to have a bit more of a tilt to the steering column (it seems to tilt back), which would seem to me to provide for easier steering.
      >
      > The one definite downside to the CityGlide is that it does not use standard size bearings for the wheels (so no replacing them with standard skate bearings... not sure if the bearing size that they use are readily available for purchase).
      >
      > The big question I have at this point has to do with the CityGlides durability. The folding mechanism seems less beefier than that of the A5s, and in general, its track record seems less "venerable than that of the A5. Also there seems to be a lot less information (and a lot fewer reviews and videos) available for the CityGlide in general.
      >
      > So... I thought I would tap the group-mind here to see if any of you had any experience/thoughts/opinions on the Fuzion CityGlide and/or the choice between the two of these scooters.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any insight/opinions you may be able to provide.

    • J
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2012
        Thank you John V.

        The one thing that concerns me the most about the Cityglide is the robustness of the folding mechanism. From the pictures it appears like the Razor A5's folding mechanism might be more robust than the CityGlide's? On Amazon, I have also noticed a few reviews that mention the CityGlide's folding mechanism breaking/malfunctioning (a lot of it seems to have to do with the spring and pins used for the folding mechanism).

        Have you experienced any of these sorts of things? From your observations how would you describe the robustness of the folding mechanism?

        Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my query.

        - J

        --- In NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com, "John V" <danconia57@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > The one definite downside to the CityGlide is that it does not use standard size bearings for the wheels (so no replacing them with standard skate bearings... not sure if the bearing size that they use are readily available for purchase).
        > >
        > > The big question I have at this point has to do with the CityGlides durability. The folding mechanism seems less beefier than that of the A5s, and in general, its track record seems less "venerable than that of the A5. Also there seems to be a lot less information (and a lot fewer reviews and videos) available for the CityGlide in general.
        > >
        > > So... I thought I would tap the group-mind here to see if any of you had any experience/thoughts/opinions on the Fuzion CityGlide and/or the choice between the two of these scooters.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance for any insight/opinions you may be able to provide.

      • dorlene
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 11, 2012
          For more than 2 and 1/2 years my husband and I have scooted several miles daily in NYC on our Razor A5s. Our rides are safe, smooth, and quiet, and our Razors have required no modifications, adjustments, or maintenance.
        • el0pez
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 23, 2012
            I'm new to scooting and doing some research I did end up purchasing both the A5 and the CityGlide. Now in my short experience I have found the A5 smoother, faster and lighter than the CityGlide. Also I find that the CityGlide rattles a lot more than the A5. I think it has to do with how the locking mechanism is made, since that seems where the noise comes from, but I'm no expert and don't know if it's a fixable issue. On smooth surfaces they are both nice rides but in general I prefer the A5 :)