Razor A5 cosmetic mods (monochrome)

  • bonmot630
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 10 10:52 AM
      Modded my two-week-old Razor A5 Lux to make it less toylike (personal opinion, of course).

      Monochromed Razor A5

      Removed wheels and painted them with black glossy vinyl paint/dye from auto parts store (~$7). Not sure if I got good adhesion, but it seems to be sticking OK for the moment.

      Bought Sunlite Road Foam Grip Set from Amazon (~$8). Cut black foam grips to size and replaced current red grips. I had to pull off red end caps, snip elastic cord at the knot, reattach red end caps & retie elastic cord.

      Used black sharpie to change outside color of end cap. I left the inside (touching foam grips) red, mainly because I was lazy, but it does leave a tiny bit of red accent which is kind of cool.

      The only other mod is a carrying strap that I rigged up from some spare strap material, a strap pad, D-Rings and double-sided velcro. Though the strap can be removed, I find it convenient to leave it on all of the time.

      Cheers,
      bonmot
    • lisa*
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 10 2:34 PM

        Sharp!   got to make it your own.   ;o)

        The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first and love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life.

        T. R. Roosevelt, 1/10/1917

        Cost of the War-National Priorities Project
        http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=182

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 10 2:59 PM
          That looks really slick. You did good.
        • dorlene
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 10 6:18 PM
            It looks terrific, bonmot -- very elegant and adultlike. I like your strap with the pad -- looks more comfortable and less likely to fall off your shoulder than the Xootr strap. Please post your photo on the Photos page.

            --- In NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com, "bonmot630" <mikeoetting@...> wrote:

            > Modded my two-week-old Razor A5 Lux to make it less toylike (personal
            > opinion, of course).
            > Monochromed Razor A5 <http://flic.kr/p/9xt4HG>
            >
            > Removed wheels and painted them with black glossy vinyl paint/dye from
            > auto parts store (~$7). Not sure if I got good adhesion, but it seems to
            > be sticking OK for the moment.
            > Bought Sunlite Road Foam Grip Set from Amazon (~$8). Cut black foam
            > grips to size and replaced current red grips. I had to pull off red end
            > caps, snip elastic cord at the knot, reattach red end caps & retie
            > elastic cord.
            > Used black sharpie to change outside color of end cap. I left the inside
            > (touching foam grips) red, mainly because I was lazy, but it does leave
            > a tiny bit of red accent which is kind of cool.
            > The only other mod is a carrying strap that I rigged up from some spare
            > strap material, a strap pad, D-Rings and double-sided velcro. Though the
            > strap can be removed, I find it convenient to leave it on all of the
            > time.
            > Cheers,bonmot

          • bonmot630
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 11 6:39 AM
              Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone. I've uploaded the pic to the photos area.

              The great thing about this set of modifications is how easy they are. The longest step (the painting), took only 1/2 hour including waiting between coats. I didn't bother masking the wheels, since it was already black. To keep the wheels from becoming slippery, I sanded the contact surfaces to reveal the original material.

              bonmot
            • maskedmarvelswat
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 11 8:47 AM
                Cool! I wonder if it would look even better if you painted the metal parts black or gray. Matte paint might look better than glossy.

                Wilfredo Viray reported that he painted his A5 with matte gray to give it a "steel" look (no pictures):
                http://www.amazon.com/review/R2K2EXUXJI2DXH/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg2?ie=UTF8&cdPage=2&asin=B001K3JUEI&store=sporting-goods#wasThisHelpful

                He said he also replaced the red grips with black ones.

                Personally I like the look and functional advantage of Ergon GC3 grips. I posted pictures of these grips on my Xootr Mg earlier. I have the same grips on my Micro Black and I used to have them on my A5 too. I say used to, because the back wheel fell off in the middle of a 10-mile trek. I had no tools to put it back on, so I left the scooter at the side of the trail. It was no longer there when I went back to look for it 2 hours later...

                --- In NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com, "bonmot630" <mikeoetting@...> wrote:

                > Modded my two-week-old Razor A5 Lux to make it less toylike (personal
                > opinion, of course).
                > Monochromed Razor A5 <http://flic.kr/p/9xt4HG>
                >
                > Removed wheels and painted them with black glossy vinyl paint/dye from
                > auto parts store (~$7). Not sure if I got good adhesion, but it seems to
                > be sticking OK for the moment.
                > Bought Sunlite Road Foam Grip Set from Amazon (~$8). Cut black foam
                > grips to size and replaced current red grips. I had to pull off red end
                > caps, snip elastic cord at the knot, reattach red end caps & retie
                > elastic cord.
                > Used black sharpie to change outside color of end cap. I left the inside
                > (touching foam grips) red, mainly because I was lazy, but it does leave
                > a tiny bit of red accent which is kind of cool.
                > The only other mod is a carrying strap that I rigged up from some spare
                > strap material, a strap pad, D-Rings and double-sided velcro. Though the
                > strap can be removed, I find it convenient to leave it on all of the
                > time.
                > Cheers,bonmot

              • lisa*
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 11 9:05 AM

                  I got one of my scoots from the neighbor lady who sold me her teenage daughters scoot for $20, she need cig money.

                  It was pink and white, with the title Little Miss Popsicle, with a picture of girl eating a popsicle on the footboard...

                  I had that baby sand blasted and I used color changing paint, green to purple or what I call Humboldt green.  I still call it Little Miss Popsicle in my head...

                  looks purple in the picture, a check the spoke wheels...
                  Never Dull the $5 you can spend on polish for anything metal
                  helped with all the rust on there

                  got the decal guy to make me a bunch of checks and diamonds for trip to LA to see The Specials in their first appearance in the States in 30years, since their last tour here ended the band... it was marvelous!!

                  ;o)

                  The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first and love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life.

                  T. R. Roosevelt, 1/10/1917

                  Cost of the War-National Priorities Project
                  http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=182

                  Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone. I've uploaded the pic to the photos area.

                  The great thing about this set of modifications is how easy they are. The longest step (the painting), took only 1/2 hour including waiting between coats. I didn't bother masking the wheels, since it was already black. To keep the wheels from becoming slippery, I sanded the contact surfaces to reveal the original material.

                  bonmot

                • ww77f
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 11, 2011
                    Hi,
                    I was just considering painting the wheels black and got some Krylon Fusion spray paint (it's meant for plastics) to do the job. I noticed one of the ingredients was toulene and then learned it's been known to cause cracking in some plastics (as do some other aromatic hydrocarbons?).

                    So keep an eye on those wheels just in case.

                    Will

                    --- In NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com, "bonmot630" <mikeoetting@...> wrote:

                    > Modded my two-week-old Razor A5 Lux to make it less toylike (personal
                    > opinion, of course).
                    > Monochromed Razor A5 <http://flic.kr/p/9xt4HG>
                    >
                    > Removed wheels and painted them with black glossy vinyl paint/dye from
                    > auto parts store (~$7). Not sure if I got good adhesion, but it seems to
                    > be sticking OK for the moment.
                  • Laurie
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 11, 2011
                      I'm "resurrecting" this thread for Fil, who (like me) doesn't like the color of his Razor A5 Lux. Read the message below, and check out the whole thread, too!

                      -laurie

                      --- In NYCKickScooters@yahoogroups.com, "bonmot630" <mikeoetting@...> wrote:

                      > Modded my two-week-old Razor A5 Lux to make it less toylike (personal
                      > opinion, of course).
                      > Monochromed Razor A5 <http://flic.kr/p/9xt4HG>
                      >
                      > Removed wheels and painted them with black glossy vinyl paint/dye from
                      > auto parts store (~$7). Not sure if I got good adhesion, but it seems to
                      > be sticking OK for the moment.
                      > Bought Sunlite Road Foam Grip Set from Amazon (~$8). Cut black foam
                      > grips to size and replaced current red grips. I had to pull off red end
                      > caps, snip elastic cord at the knot, reattach red end caps & retie
                      > elastic cord.
                      > Used black sharpie to change outside color of end cap. I left the inside
                      > (touching foam grips) red, mainly because I was lazy, but it does leave
                      > a tiny bit of red accent which is kind of cool.
                      > The only other mod is a carrying strap that I rigged up from some spare
                      > strap material, a strap pad, D-Rings and double-sided velcro. Though the
                      > strap can be removed, I find it convenient to leave it on all of the
                      > time.
                      > Cheers,bonmot

                    • roybassist
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 11, 2011
                        Laurie,

                        I had been intending to resurrect that thread myself, because I wanted to ask the OP, bonmot, whether the vinyl paint/dye was wearing well under use, or if it is getting scratched, wearing off, etc. If it holds up well, I may consider doing the same.

                        I just recently changed the grips on my A5 to the same ones bonmot used from Amazon. It's amazing what a difference just that made in the overall appearance of the scooter. I didn't replace them specifically to get rid of the red color: after 2 and a half years of use, the original red ones were looking pretty grimy. Since I didn't like the color anyway, rather than try to clean them I replaced them. It was easy and cheap. I really like them, and the price, including shipping, was only $8.

                        The Sunlite grips are fatter than the original Razor grips. I don't know whether that would be a problem for people with small hands. I would think not, but no way to know.

                        Unlike bonmot, I didn't replace the original red end caps. The Sunlite grips come with black handlebar end plugs, and I just used those. The hole in the Sunlite end plugs is too large to hold the elastic cord, even with a knot; so I just didn't put the elastic back. That means that if I remove the bar ends, they come completely off, rather than remaining attached to the scooter; but I have no problem with that. I hardly ever remove them anyway. Not reusing the red end caps and elastic made the conversion a snap.

                        I trimmed the new grips to the same length as the original grips. In hindsight, I wish I had left them longer. I would still have had to trim some length from them, because they are longer than the distance from the ends of the bars to the center sleeve (t-tube) where the bar ends insert; but I wish I had trimmed only enough to make them fit that length, and let them cover the entire space instead of leaving a small amount of bar exposed next to the t-tube.