Jewish Music: farewell to Zimmy

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2002

      Tonight, Thursday October 31, 8-11pm I'll be playing at a
      kumsitz to say good-bye to my good friend and fellow musician Zimmy
      (Avraham HaKohein Zimberg), who is moving from New York back to
      Detroit. For those who don't yet know him, Zimmy has been inspiring
      thousands of Jews with his music, stories and infectious smile, and
      we're all sad to see him go. He's hosting the good-bye kumsitz (and
      providing free desserts) at his apartment in Washington Heights, 739
      W186 St (@Overlook Terr) #3C (near the A train). Bring along a
      friend, a musical instrument if you have, and a smile. If you can't
      make it, send a farewell message to zimmy@... or call 888-
      36-ZIMMY and see http://www.zimmy.com

      Tomorrow, November 1, at 4:50pm, for an incredible davening
      with lots of singing, go to Congregation Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St
      (between Broadway and Amsterdam), led by Eyal Raviv, who just moved
      back to NY from Washington. I'm sure this is the first of many more
      times we'll get to hear his seet davening.

      This weekend, November 1-2, I'll be leading the singing and
      davening at the bi-annual JACS Spiritual Retreat. This organization
      does tremendous work with Jews in recovery from drug and alcohol
      addiction, and promoting awareness of this problem within the Jewish
      community. (I bet you thought Jews didn't have drinking problems!)
      For more info see http://www.jacsweb.org

      Saturday, Nov 2 at 9pm, melave malka featuring Yosi Piamenta
      and Laible ben Moshe at the Carlebach Shul, 305 W79 St. Admission:
      $15. For more info call 917-662-0288 or see
      http://www.zstarr.com/piamenta

      Also Nov 2 at 10pm sharp, Rav Shmuel (Skaist, formerly of the
      Bartlebees, and before that the band Gefilte Fish) is playing a
      Solo/Accoustic Show at the Sidewalk Cafe, corner of Ave. A and 6th st
      in the East Village. More info: ravshmuel@...

      Also Nov 2 7:30-9pm, Park Slope Jewish Center presents a full
      evening of music, merriment and bargain hunting, at Camp Friendship,
      339 8th Street (at 6th avenue) in Park Slope. Featuring the music of
      Jonathan Madoff, a fusion of Arabic taqsims, klezmer soul, and rock
      energy. The $18 admission includes refreshments and a $15 credit
      towards the silent auction of quality goods and services that night.
      For more info call 718-768-1453 or see http://www.psjc.org and
      http://www.jonmadof.com

      Sunday, Nov 4 "This is the Afro-Smeitic Experience" at
      Tonic's weekly Klezmer Brunch: two sets at 1:30PM and 3PM, and the
      cost is $10 each or $15 for both. The bar is located above the former
      Kedem winery at 107 Norfolk St (btwn Rivington and Delancey, near F
      train) and can be reached at 212-358-7503 or http://www.tonic107.com
      ***See review below*** !PLEASE NOTE: The food at Tonic may not be
      strictly kosher: consult your local Rabbinic authority!

      Monday, Nov 04 at 8:30 PM Israeli rock group RockFour touring
      the US, playing at the Knitting Factory, 74 Leonard St. Admission:
      $10 at the door; $8 in advance. For more info call the club at 212-
      219-3055 or see http://www.rockfour.com

      Tuesday, November 5th at 7pm Simply Tsfat concert at the Mt.
      Sinai Jewish Center, 135 Bennett Ave @ 187th St. Three Breslev
      Chassidim, 2 Americans and one Israeli, 2 guitars and one violin, on
      tour from their home in the mystical city of Tsfat. Also featuring
      the Jason Caplan Quartet. Cost: $12; 212-568-1900
      http://www.simplytsfat.com

      Wednesday, November 6 at 7:30pm, at Town Hall, 123 West 43rd
      St. The National Jewish organization The Workmen's
      Circle/ArbeterRing (WC/AR) will celebrate its Centennial with a star-
      filled gala concert entitled YIDDISH IN AMERICA. Entertainers Mandy
      Patinkin, Theodore Bikel, Tovah Feldshuh, Bruce Adler, The
      Klezmatics, Zalmen Mlotek, Adrienne Cooper, Sheldon Harnick, Joseph
      Wiseman, Joanne Borts and Pearl Lang will perform at this historic
      event. A rousing musical finale, a grand chorus of hundreds of voices
      from labor and Yiddish choirs from New York, Boston, Philadelphia and
      Toronto: http://www.goldenland.com/yiddish_gala.htm

      Also November 6 at 10pm the Moshav Band is playing at The
      Bitter End, 147 Bleeker St. $10 cover. 18+ http://www.moshavband.com

      Also November 6 at 9:30pm Matt Turk Band performing at Makor,
      35 W.67 St. Cost: $12 more info: 212-601-1000 or
      http://www.makor.org

      Thursday, Nov 7 at 8pm Yeshiva University presents Battle of
      the Bands at its Schottenstein Cultural Center, 239 E34 St. 8 up-and-
      coming bands will perform and compete for a spot at the annual YU
      Chanukah concert. I don't know who else is playing, but the new band
      Mizrach will be appearing. Check them out at http://mizrach.com

      Saturday, November 9 at 8PM, Klezmatics are playing at Bergen
      Community College, 400 Paramus Rd in Paramus, NJ. Tickets are $22
      ($18 for students). Call to confirm: 201-447-7428 or see
      http://www.bergen.cc.nj.us

      Also November 9 at 8:30pm Israel Emergency Solidarity Fund
      presents "Sounds of Solidarity" featuring Shalsheles and Shwekey,
      with Israeli singer Yishai Lapidot, at the Colden Center for the
      Performing Arts at Queens College. Tickets start at $18 and can be
      purchased at Judaica stores or by calling 718-261-4130

      Monday, Nov 11, 8pm, Seth Glass with David Gedzelman, both
      incredible singer-songwriters, playing original Jewish folk music, at
      Makor, 35 W.67 St. Cost: $12. For more info: 212-601-1000 or
      http://www.makor.org and http://sethglass.com

      Also November 11 Chaim Dovid will be coming from Israel for a
      US tour through November 24. He'll be spending his first Shabbos,
      Nov 15, with Congregation Aish Kodesh in Woodmere, and playing a
      Melaveh Malka to celebrate the tenth anniversary of shul. He still
      has some dates open, so if you're interested in booking him, email
      elliot.ganz@...

      Ongoing through Dec 8: Dudu Fisher in a new performance
      series (Mon-Thur, Sat: 8pm; Wed matinee 2pm; Sun: 2&7pm). At the
      Mazer Theater, 197 East Broadway (near the F train). Dudu is a world-
      famous Israeli cantor and star of Les Misraebles in Tel Aviv.
      Tickets: 800-432-6200 and see http://dudufisher.com

      Jewish Music Album of the Week: If you're looking for some
      great jazz with Jewish music influences, you should definitely check
      out "This is the Afro-Semitic Experience," a new project by Jewish
      bassist David Chevan and African American pianist Warren Byrd. This
      is the third time the two have recorded an album together
      (following "Avadim Hayinu" and "Let us Break Bread Together"), but
      this time they're backed by a whole band. The first track starts off
      with a traditional "Eliyahu Hanavi" and then gets all jazzed up --
      this is truly a fusion of rich musical traditions, with mostly
      original songs, a great version of "Shir Leshalom" and ending with an
      amazing cover of "Waters of Babylon." Check these guys out live at
      Tonic on Sunday (see above) or see http://chevan.addr.com

      Have a great Shabbos!