Jewish Music from the Poconos

  • gilhoupt
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2002

      I write this from the Isralight Retreat in the mountains of
      Pennsylvania and the music is incredible! There are so many
      talented musicians here, and last night's kumsitz went til way past
      midnight. We're blessed with beautiful weather too: I just returned
      from leading a hike in the woods with my guitar. So don't miss the
      next one! Applications are already being accepted for the Winter
      Retreat in Florida, December 25-29. Call 212-595-5004 or see
      http://www.isralight.org/retreat.htm

      Saturday night 8/31 at 10:30PM the Carlebach Shul has their
      annual selichos Melave Malka, featuring stories by Rabbi Eugene &
      Dr. Annette Labovitz, and singing with Reb Yehuda Green and a Reb
      Shlomo video; cost:$7. After the melave malka, there will be a pre-
      Selichot Drasha at 12:15AM by Rabbi Shmuel Stauber and then at 1AM
      Reb Yehuda Green will lead Selichot services; both free of charge.
      Musicians are welcome. If you've never davened Selichot at the
      Shul, it's an amazing experience. Carlebach Shul at 305 W79 St
      (btwn West End & Riverside) and for more info call 212-721-SHUL

      Also 8/31 the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale will probably be
      having their annual pre-selichos concert featuring Eli Kranzler.
      Call to confirm times. The shul is located at 3700 Henry Hudson
      Pkwy in the Bronx and can be reached at 718-796-4730 or
      http://www.hir.org

      Also 8/31 at 10:30pm the Moshav Band palying at The Bitter
      End, 147 Bleeker St. 18 and over; $10 http://www.moshavband.com

      Also 8/31 at 9:45PM Neshama Carlebach singing in a special
      Memorial Service in honour of the Anniversary of the World Trade
      Center Ceremony, at the Site of the World Trade Center. No charge,
      but registration is required: email selichotWTCSite@... and see
      http://neshamacarlebach.com NOTE: Kol Isha may be applicable here;
      consult your local Rabbinic authority

      Sunday, 9/1 at 4pm backyard concert in Teaneck, NJ featuring
      Blue Fringe, Andy Statman, and others. Go to the corner of Sussex
      and Churchill and Warwick; bring chairs or blankets.

      Also 9/1 at Noon is the Shalom Pelham Parkway Festival in
      the Bronx, featuring Ira Heller and others. http://www.iraheller.com

      Monday, Labor day, 9/2 2-6PM the Jewish Life Concert &
      Festival at center of Washington Square park, featuring the music of
      Isaac Bitton, a fusion of Sephardic, African, and contemporary
      rock. Also the extremely talented Matt Miller performing his unique
      talent for bebop, rap and reggae. Accompanied by festive holiday
      workshops, comedy & food. For more info call Rabbi Yaakov at 212-
      674-6589

      Tuesday, 9/3 is the weekly Isralight program, with guest
      lecturer Rabbi David Aaron, founder of Isralight, on his way back to
      Jerusalem. Doors open at 7pm with snacks from Darna and musical jam
      session; lecture at 7:30pm; then 9-10pm I lead an interactive
      discussion on ethics. At WSIS, 120 W76 St, between Amsterdam &
      Columbus. Cost: $10 (students: $5) For more info reply to this
      email or see http://isralight.org

      Also 9/3 at 10pm Pharaohs Daughter (with dancer Sarah Locke)
      performing at Makor, 35 W67 St. Opening acts at 8pm (amazing
      jewish/middleastern/jazz, improv) with Danny Zamir/Yonatan Avishai
      at 8pm. More info: see http://makor.org or
      http://www.pharaohsdaughter.com NOTE: Kol Isha may be applicable
      here; consult your local Rabbinic authority

      Thursday, September 5 at 7pm Vaudeville Extravaganza, 60
      Orchard St (just below Canal St) featuring the klezmer band Golem, a
      Catskills comedian, a Chinese Rabbi, a ventriloquist, and Shecky's
      Third Bar Mitzvah ceremony. Cost: $5 For more info contact Jeffrey
      Frydman at 212-677-8618 or Machaya@... and see
      and http://golemrocks.com NOTE: A sense of humor may be necessary
      here; consult your local Rabbinic authority

      Mon-Wed, September 9-11 the Brave New World Festival at Town
      Hall, an event reflecting responses of the artistic community to the
      events of September 11. Among many other acts, Geoffrey Menin will
      be performing a vocal/piano song entitled "Prayer." Tickets start
      at $100 available from Ticketmaster or call 212-414-2993 or see
      http://www.bravenewworldarts.com

      Saturday night we say selichos, a special prayer that
      reminds us of all the ways we have fallen short of perfection, our
      potential as of yet unfulfilled. We beg forgiveness, and with all
      the prayers on the High Holidays, with much sincerity, and yet we
      repeat them every year. Yet we believe that every year gives us a
      fresh start, a new opportunity to improve ourselves, our
      relationships to others, and our connection to the Divine. I bless
      you all that this New Year be the time or transcending our limits
      and reaching the greatest heights.

      Have a good Shabbos!!!