Jewish Music for Shavuos

  • gilhoupt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2002

      I'm so sorry I was unable to send out a music update last
      week -- I was at the Isralight Spiritual Retreat in the Berkshire
      Mountains of CT with 250 other seekers of spirituality -- an awesome
      experience! Mark your calendars for the next retreat: Labour Day
      Weekend in the Poconos.

      If you ever want to check my list of upcoming events on the
      web while waiting for my weekly email, or to see ongoing events
      which are the same every week so I no longer include them in the
      email, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/files/

      Tonight, Thursday 5/16 is the first night of Shavuos,
      commemorating the receiving of the Torah 3314 years ago at Mount
      Sinai. There is a custom to stay up all night learning, and
      Isralight is having a special program beginning at 11:30pm until
      dawn at WSIS, 120 W76 St. Rav Binny Freedman will be giving two
      classes back to back, and then around 3am we'll turn it into
      a 'tisch' with songs, stories, and of course cheesecake

      Saturday 5/18 the second day of Shavuos Isralight features
      Rav Binny back again for a special shalesheudos -- 3rd Shabbos meal -
      - from 7-9pm with lots of singing, followed by a havdallah ceremony
      like you've never seen, complete with guitars, at WSIS, 120 W76 St.

      Saturday night 5/18 at 10:30 melave malka featuring Israel
      superstar Aaron Razel on limited tour in the US, at Congregation
      Aish Kodesh, 353 Woodmere Blvd. (one block from the Woodmere stop on
      the Long Island Railroad) Admission: free. 516-374-8596
      http://aishkodesh.org

      Sunday, 5/19 at 6pm, MDA Jam: A Benefit for Magen David
      Adom, Israel's Emergency Response Services, an all-Star concert at
      John Harms Theater (30 North Van Brunt St in Englewood NJ) featuring
      Yossi Piamenta, The Andy Statman Trio with David Grisman, David
      Bromberg, Lucy Kaplansky, Soulfarm, Neshama Carlebach, and others.
      For tickets call 866-583-8539

      Also 5/19 at Noon until some unknown point in time Ezra
      HaLevi (formerly Levine) is having a Seudat Aliya (literally
      a "Feast of Getting High") to celebrate reaching new spiritual
      heights and greater depths within ourselves, and specifically his
      forthcoming move to Israel. His house is 384 Edgewood Ave in
      Teaneck, NJ. Please DO bring musical instruments but DO NOT bring
      gifts - it is not that kind of thing. INSTEAD, Bring a blessing, in
      some tangible form, to send him off to the Holy Land. For info or
      directions email Ezra@... or call 201-615-7580

      Tuesday, 5/21 Rav Binny Freedman is back at Isralight NY for
      a four part series on contemporary questions in Judaism, Tuesday
      nights through June 11 at WSIS, 120 W76 St, between Amsterdam &
      Columbus. This week's lecture on "Who Is A Jew? And: Is there room
      for the Reform movement in Judaism?" Doors open 7pm; program begins
      at 7:30. Cost: $10 (students: $5) includes refreshments by Darna.
      Music by Pey Dalid and the Isralight players. For more info: call
      561-447-0592 and see http://isralight.org

      Wednesday, 5/22 at 7pm 'Showcase of Jewish Heritage & Art'
      at the Center for Jewish Heritage, 15 W16 St - bet 5&6 Aves with a
      concert by Ira Heller. http://www.iraheller.com

      Thursday 5/23 at 10pm ish, the ID Project, Inherently
      Divine/ Intelligent Design, at the Orange Bear, 47 Murray St.
      (between Broadway and Church). "The artist/musicians/torah scholars
      engage in spontaneous hip hop West African drumming paradox with
      everything from back and forth off the cuff lyrical forays into the
      unexpected to impromptu versions of Sefardi "Bar Yochai"
      interspersed with Kabbalistic rhymes." Plus an exclusive preview of
      art on the Alef Beis-"Black Fire on White Fire" by Melech Hillel
      Singer. $5 at the door; for more info email GODLYART@...

      Wishing you all a happy Shavuos. This year, may we learn
      the secret of receiving the gift of the Torah and spread its light
      all over the world.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
        Dear Friends,

        Tonight, Thursday June 2, is the first night of Shavuos,
        commemorating the receiving of the Torah 3318 years ago at Mount
        Sinai. There is a custom to stay up all night learning, and
        synagogues all over the city will be running special programs with
        Torah classes all night. Wherever you may be, check out your local
        shul and be part of accepting the mission for the Jewish people.

        ------- SUNDAY, JUNE 4
        Israel Day Parade, with lots of great bands performing on floats
        going up 5th Ave. Free concert in Central Park after the parade,
        2:30-6:30pm. Enter Park from 5th Ave & 72 St. Concert lineup (not
        necessarily in this order) - Shlomo Katz, Aaron Razel, Shloime Dachs,
        Blue Fringe, Yoni Shlomo, Baruch Avitan. Broadcast live on the web:
        http://israelnationalradio.com More info: 646-472-5388 or
        http://salutetoisrael.com

        8pm - Join musician, author and teacher Rabbi David Zeller visiting
        From Israel for Stories & Song: An Enchanted Summer Evening
        Outdoors! In Brooklyn: 478 Argyle Road between Ditmas and Dorchester
        in Flatbush. $10 suggested donation. Questions: call Yehudis
        Leventhal at 718-287-5161 or see http://davidzeller.org

        12:15pm-3:45pm Maury Epstein plays guitar and sings Hebrew, Israeli,
        American Folk/Jazz, accompanied by Ari Gold on percussion, voice and
        bass. @Raw Soul, 348 W145 St, between St. Nicholas and Edgecombe
        Ave. More info: 646-678-1694 or http://rawsoul.com
        http://mauryepstein.com

        ------- MONDAY, JUNE 5
        8:30-10:30PM is the weekly Jewish bluegrass concert with Andy
        Statman, world renowned master on both clarinet and mandolin, At the
        Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St. Suggested
        donation: $10 (includes refreshments). Call first to confirm the
        show is on: 212-242-6425 and see http://andystatman.org

        10pm - Beat Box Boogaloo, with Yuri Lane, Baba Israel & Yako, Y-Love
        & dj handler. @Mo Pitkin's, 34 Ave A, b/w 2nd and 3rd St. Cost: $8
        with rsvp (email: rsvp@...); $10 otherwise. More info:
        718.290.5372 http://modularmoods.com

        ------- TUESDAY, JUNE 6
        Rami Kleinstein, one of the greatest Israeli composers and singers,
        in a rare NYC appearance, with special guest Shiri Maimon, star of
        Kachav Nolad (the American Idol of Israel) and the Eurovision song
        contest. At Symphony Space, Broadway at 95th St. More info: 212-864-
        5400 http://jccarts.org
        **NOTE: See Below

        If you happen to be in Chicago, or have some friends there who like
        Jewish music: Ruby Harris has got a few gigs coming up: June 6 @8pm
        at the Sefardic Congregation, 1819 W. Howard. June 7 @8pm at Anshe
        Shalom, 540 W. Melrose. June 11, 11am-6pm at Greater Chicago Jewish
        Festival, Cook County Forest Preserve. Mazal Tov to the Harris
        family on the birth of a new baby boy! http://rubyharrismusic.com

        ------- WEDNESDAY, JUNE 7
        The Hesh performs at The Saint, 601 Main St, Asbury Park, NJ
        http://myspace.com/hesh

        ------- THURSDAY, JUNE 8
        8PM Nishmat Hatzafon, a Jewish women's performing arts company,
        performing for women only "Bat Kol: The Search for the Inner Voice,"
        interweaving dance, poetry, song, and music. In collaboration with
        Neshama Carlebach. In Washington Heights: Mount Sinai Jewish Center,
        135 Bennet Ave & 187 St. Cost: $15. More info: call 917-679-1890 or
        email NHreservation@... or see http://neshamacarlebach.com

        8:30-10:30PM is the weekly Music of the Mystics concert featuring
        Andy Statman, playing klezmer with some toe-tapping bluegrass thrown
        in, on both clarinet and mandolin, At the Greenwich Village
        Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St. Suggested donation: $10
        (includes refreshments). Call first to confirm the show is on: 212-
        242-6425 and see http://andystatman.org

        9:30PM Yosi Pimaenta's Heavenly Jams Band @CODA, 34 E34 St. Tickets
        $15 http://www.coda34.com

        9pm - ASEFA performing in Brooklyn: The Tea Lounge, 837 Union St, btw
        6/7 aves. (Subway: Q/B to 7ave or 2/3 to Grand Army Plaza). Asefa
        includes Samuel Thomas on woodwinds and percussion, Noah Jarrett on
        upright bass, Eric Platz on drums and David Buchbut on percussion.
        More info: 917.620.3998 or http://cdbaby.com/cd/samuelthomas

        ------- FRIDAY, JUNE 9
        Monthly Shabbaton of Carlebach Congregation of Teaneck, NJ: davening
        and Shabbat meals with joyful singing, the deepest Torah learning,
        and after Shabbos: candle-lit musical melave malka drum-circle. This
        month featuring the charismatic Levi Kranz - I had the privilege of
        running their last shabbaton, and there was an incredible energy!
        Lodging & child care provided, and they'll even help with
        transportation! Reserve by this Sunday, June 4 for only $25/meal
        ($30 thereafter) - call in credit card information or register
        online: 201-708-6629 http://carlebachteaneck.com

        ------- SATURDAY, JUNE 10
        10pm - Chavlaz: ISRAELI HIP HOP NIGHT with dj handler & Y-Love,
        mixing a bit of Arabic, Balkan, Brazilian, and French musics. At
        Makor, 35 West 67th St. Cost: $8 with rsvp (email:
        rsvp@...); $10 at the door. More info: 718.290.5372
        http://modularmoods.com

        ------- SUNDAY, JUNE 11
        6-7:45pm This season's first musical kumsitz in Central Park! Enter
        the park from Central Park West at W96 St and turn right (or at W93
        and turn left), and look for us between CPW and the Park Drive.
        Bring along any musical instruments and blankets to sit on (and if
        you want, some kosher snacks or drinks to share). Call me Sunday for
        weather updates: 646-706-3076

        7pm Pharaoh's Daughter @Mo Pitkin's, 34 Ave A, b/w 2nd and 3rd St.
        http://myspace.com/pharaohsdaughter
        **NOTE: See Below

        If you happen to be near Washington DC, or have some friends there
        who like Jewish music: Shalshelet's Second International Festival of
        New Jewish Liturgical Music, at Ohr Kodesh Congregation in Chevy
        Chase, MD. NY composers Dan Cousin, Steve Cohen, Sariel Beckenstein,
        Hazzan Joanna Selznick Dulkin, Irene A. Steiner, and Cantor Ken
        Richmond are some of the 30 whose work was selected for the Festival
        (over 300 submitted). Shalshelet founder Hazzan Natasha Hirschhorn,
        will be performing, as will several of the above. More info: 301-588-
        7768 http://shalshelet.org
        **NOTE: See Below

        ------- MONDAY, JUNE 12
        7:30pm - another open mike night for women, by women: act, sing,
        dance, play, read, joke, filibuster or come watch. At Makor, 35 W67
        St. Celebrate the release of their first CD and see what happens
        when Jewish women rock Makor! Admission: $10. Info: call 212-865-
        0085 or see http://girlsnighton.com

        ------- WEDNESDAY, JUNE 14
        7:30-9:30pm Margot Leverett (from the Klezmer Mountain Boys) leads a
        Klezmer jam session at Astoria Center in Queens: 27-35 Crescent St.
        Free and open to all - musicians are welcome to join in and anyone
        can come just to listen. More info: 718-278-2680
        http://klezmermountainboys.com

        ------- THURSDAY, JUNE 15
        @8pm - Nishmat Hatzafon, a Jewish women's performing arts company,
        performing for women only "Bat Kol: The Search for the Inner Voice,"
        interweaving dance, poetry, song, and music. At JCC of Manhattan, 334
        Amsterdam Ave. Cost: $15. More info: 917-679-1890 or
        NHreservation@...

        ------- SUNDAY, JUNE 18
        8pm - NASHIR! The Rottenberg Chorale, a co-ed Jewish concert choir,
        performs Choral Music with a Pulse, at Merkin Concert Hall, 129 W67
        St (B'way & Amsterdam). Including Ben Gruder's "Grunge" Kaddish
        (you've never heard anything like it). Admission: $19 general; $23
        preferred seating; $16 students. Info: 212-501-3330
        **NOTE: See Below

        ------- WEDNESDAY, JUNE 21
        7:30pm The Cantorial Council of America presents "In the Spirit of
        Yossele" - cantorial concert commemorating the yahrtzeit of the
        legendary Chazzan Yossele Rosenblatt. At the Riverdale Jewish
        Center, 3700 Independence Ave. Featuring Israeli Cantors Chaim Adler
        and Yechezkel Klang; Cantor Benny Rogosnitzky of the Jewish Center,
        and Cantor Shimon Craimer of RJC. Tickets: $36. More info: 718-548-
        1850

        ------- STAY TUNED: Simply Tsfat on tour in the NY area July 1-5, at
        the Homowack Lodge, Swan Lake, Long Beach, and Makor in Manhattan.
        Thursday-Sunday July 6-9 still open, so contact them to book a show!
        See below for my review of their new album "Never Give Up!" Full
        concert schedule: http://simplytsfat.com

        ------- JUNE 18 - JULY 7 is the annual American Rainbow Gathering,
        this year in Rocky Mountain National Forest, CO. This awesome event
        attracts thousands from all religions and ethnic backgrounds, and of
        course features lots of great music. Reb Moish Geller comes from
        Israel every year to reach out to all the alienated but searching
        Jewish souls. To find out how you can support the 9th Annual Jewish
        Outreach Effort at the Gathering, call 972-54-654-6552 or email
        rebmoish@... http://welcomehome.org

        Jewish Music Album of the Week: "Never Give Up!" is the
        latest release by Simply Tsfat, featuring a beautiful waltz (Kayl
        Adon from Uman) and a popular bris tune country-style (Rav Klein's
        Niggun). This rockin' string trio of Breslov musicians present Rebbe
        Nachman's inspiring message of ahope, starting with the title track,
        a popular Hebrew song from before the Holocaust, with new English
        translation: Don't Despair. This theme continues throughout the
        album, expressed through niggunim - wordless melodies from the
        Chassidic Rebbes of old (Baal Shem Tov, Chabad, Satmar and of course
        the Breslov Dance). We also find explicit mention of this idea, in
        songs like the famous "Oyfn Pripetchik," as well as two new
        originals: "All One" and "Don't Be Sad," which ends with the band
        urging their audience to get up and dance. That's why Simply Tsfat
        must really be experienced live to understand why they're so
        popular. Check their upcoming US tour dates and hear sound clips on
        their website: http://simplytsfat.com

        Have a good Shabbos and Yomtov!

        Gili Houpt

        *NOTE: For all the above events so noted, the issue of Kol Isha may
        apply; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more info, and see
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/links/k_001127134606
        Message 3 of 3 , May 22, 2007
          Dear Friends,

          Our first Central Park kumsitz of the season was almost rained out this past Sunday, but then the sky cleared and we managed to get in a few songs before nightfall. So let's try it again this coming Sunday, May 27, and pray for good weather. We should be filled with song and inspiration by then after Shavuos! See below for full info.

          ------- TUESDAY, MAY 22
          Tonight we celebrate the holiday of Shavuos, commemorating the Divine gift of the Torah of the Torah to the Jewish people. Some have the custom to stay up all night learning, and there are special programs all over the city with Torah classes all night. Wherever you may be, check out your local shul and become a part of accepting your mission to perfect the world.

          9pm I'll be leading the evening services with some special tunes for Shavuos, at Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St. There will be classes all night starting at 11pm on various topics - I'm giving the first one on "What Really Happened at Mount Sinai 3319 Years Ago." More info: 212-222-2470 http://www.ramathorah.org

          10:15pm-midnight Neshama Carlebach will be leading a learning session for Shavuot, followed by singing. At Stephen Wise Free Synagogue, 30 West 68th St. Info: 212-877-4050 or http://neshamacarlebach.com
          *NOTE: See Below

          ------- WEDNESDAY-THURSDAY, MAY 23-24
          9:15am I'll be leading the davening with lots of singing, and sharing some words of Torah, at the Old Broadway Synagogue in Harlem, 15 Old Broadway, half-block east of Broadway between 125 & 126 St. Hot kiddush (light lunch) following davening both days. For more info: 212-662-9767 http://www.geocities.com/oldbroadway_shul

          ------- FRIDAY, MAY 25
          7:30pm the weekly Shabbat Oasis: every Friday night leave the frenetic pace of the week behind, and enter a space of tranquility and warmth: Zohar study with Rabbi Dovber Pinson, niggunim (mystical song), kabbalat shabbat service, kiddush, wine and pastries. Free of charge and open to all. At Iyyun Center for Jewish Enrichment, 316 Bergen St, Brooklyn: btwn 3rd and 4th Ave. Info: 718-393-8506 http://iyyun.com

          ------- SUNDAY, MAY 27
          5:30-7:30pm my musical kumsitz in Central Park! Enter the park from Central Park West at W96 St and turn right (or at W93 and turn left), and look for us between CPW and the Park Drive. Bring along any musical instruments and blankets to sit on (and if you want, some kosher snacks or drinks to share). If you have any questions send me an email (rebgili@... or just reply to this message), or call me on Sunday if it looks like rain to find out if we're still on: 646-706-3076

          7PM Concert for the Spiritual JERNE with Oneg Shemesh and the Vermont Chevreh. In Montpelier, Vermont: 23 Loomis St. Info: call Rabbanit Tobie Weisman at 802-223-0583 or http://onegshemesh.com

          ------- MONDAY, MAY 28
          8:45-10:30PM weekly Jewish bluegrass concert with Andy Statman, world renowned master on both clarinet and mandolin, at the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes refreshments). More info: 212-242-6425 http://andystatman.org

          ------- THURSDAY, MAY 31
          8:45-10:30PM Andy Statman plays his weekly Music of the Mystics concert: klezmer with some toe-tapping bluegrass thrown in, on both clarinet and mandolin, At the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes refreshments). More info: 212-242-6425 http://andystatman.org

          ------- FRIDAY, JUNE 1
          Early bird deadline for HALF PRICE ($40) High Holiday Seats for Carlebach Teaneck, the most inspired all-Carlebach davening, with special guest speaker and professionally supervised CHILDCARE. Lodging and meals available. In Teaneck, NJ: 650 American Legion Dr. Also reserve early for discounted admission of $5 to SELICHOS CONCERT on Sept 8, followed by selichos. Call 201-708-6629 or see http://carlebachteaneck.com

          ------- SATURDAY, JUNE 2
          9:30pm Simply Tsfat kicks off their East Coast tour in Short Hills, NJ: Chai Center, 1 Jefferson Ave. Contact: Rabbi Bogomilsky at 973-379-3151 http://simplytsfat.com

          If you're in Chicago, check out Ruby Harris, one of the founders of Jewish Rock, at the monthly Jewish Music Concert Series at the Young Israel of West Rogers Park, 2706 W. Touhy Ave. Info: 773-743-9400 http://rubyharrismusic.com

          ------- SUNDAY, JUNE 3
          2pm Simply Tsfat in Glastonbury, CT: Chabad Jewish Center, 25 Harris St. Contact: Rabbi Wolvovsky at 860-659-2422 http://simplytsfat.com

          7pm Maggid's Medley Storytelling Festival at Congregation B'nai Avraham in Brooklyn Heights: 117 Remsen St, between Clinton & Henry St (subway: 2/3, 4/5 to Borough Hall or N/R to Court St.) Storyteller and author Yitzhak Buxbaum leads ten great Jewish spiritual storytellers in sharing tales from the deepest depths. Live music. Cost: $5 (includes refreshments). For more info: 347-245-0606 or http://www.jewishspirit.com

          ------- MONDAY, JUNE 4
          6:30pm Simply Tsfat in Far Rockaway, NY: 508 Hicksville, between Reads Lane & Beach 6th St. Contact: Ike Tannenbaum at (516)807-3103 http://simplytsfat.com

          ------- WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6
          7PM Tantshoyz (Yiddish Dance House) Dance Party/Workshop at the JCC in Manhattan, 334 Amsterdam Ave @W76 St. Live klezmer music by some of New York's hottest musicians. Cost: $10 at the door. Info: contact Pete Rushefsky at 917-326-9659 or prushefsky@... http://ctmd.org
          *NOTE: See Below

          ------- THURSDAY, JUNE 7
          7:30pm Simply Tsfat in Belle Harbor, Queens: Congregation Ohab Zedek, 134-01 Rockaway Beach Blvd. Ccontact: Rabbi Tomsky (203) 530-1700 http://simplytsfat.com

          ------- FRIDAY-SATURDAY, JUNE 8-9
          Simply Tsfat Shabbaton at The Young Israel of Long Beach, 120 Long Beach Blvd. Shabbos meals at the shul, be reservation. Concert Sat night 9:30PM - tickets: $18. Info: 516-359-3645 cwakslak@... http://simplytsfat.com

          ------- FRIDAY-MONDAY, JUNE 8-11
          The Sydenham Choir from South Africa, famous for their beautiful Chazzanut, on tour in NY. Three concerts: at The Hampton Synagogue, in Montclair, NJ, and Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY. Info: 847-678-4711 http://www.sydenhamchoir.com http://boxofficetickets.com/sydenhamchoir

          ------- SUNDAY, JUNE 10
          5:30 Simply Tsfat in concert & BBQ at Chabad Lubavitch of Staten Island, 289 Harold St, corner of Bradley Ave. Contact: Rabbi Katzman @ 718-370-8953 http://simplytsfat.com

          ------- MONDAY, JUNE 11
          Shlomo Katz Concert in Passaic: looking for a house/basement to host this event for about 50 ppl (men and women). If you are interested in hosting contact Lisa at 917-543-3575 or lmechanick@...

          ------- TUESDAY, JUNE 12
          7-11pm JICNY's Passport to the World Gala event at the Prince George Ballroom, 15 E27 St, between Fifth and Madison Aves. The indoor street fair will feature the sounds, tastes and entertainment from some of the world's most exciting and exotic cities at the indoor street fair. Play Moroccan drums, sip a French champagne cocktail, enjoy surprise performances from all over the world. Price: $140 ($160.00 afer June 5) http://jicny.com

          Have a great Shavuos!