Jewish Music: prepare for Adar

  • gilhoupt
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2002

      As I am preparing for next week's Isralight Spiritual
      Retreat in Orlando, Florida, I'm trying to see how many musical
      instruments I can fit into my suitcase. It's an incredible program
      for Jews of all ages and backgrounds February 12-17 and there's
      still a few open spots left if you call soon: 561-447-0592 or see
      http://www.isralight.org

      To conserve spcae in my emails, I'm only going to list new
      music events. For a list of ongoing programs see my website
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/files/ongoing

      Tonight Thursday, 2/7 7:30pm Netela Theatre of Israel starts
      its first American Tour at the Center for Jewish History, 15 W16
      St. Combining ancient cultures and the western stage, this troupe
      of Ethiopian actors performs "Bavel" in Hebrew, Amharic and
      Swedish,
      with English subtitles, universalizing struggles of peoples in
      transition. $15; $12 students ($18/$14 includes admission to YU
      Museum.) For more info: 917-606-8200 !!!NOTE: Kol Isha may be
      applicable here; consult your local Rabbinic authority!!!

      Also 2/7, 7-9:30pm a free Jazz and Poetry Coffeehouse
      featuring: "Dan Cousin & the Workmen" Jazz Septet at Max and Sadie
      student lounge, Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Yeshiva
      Univeristy's medical school.) Bus directions (15 minutes trip from
      midtown) BxM10 bus from Madison Ave north, get off at Eastchester
      Road. For more info: 646-303-3125

      Also 2/7, at 9:30pm a Purim benefit concert to provide
      Mishloach Manot for Israeli soldiers serving in combat units,
      featuring Soulfarm and Oneg Shemesh, at the Millinery Synagogue,
      1025 Ave of the Americas between 38th and 39th St. Cost: $10
      minimum donation (musicians are volunteering their time, talent, and
      services).

      Tomorrow night, Friday 2/8 at 6:30pm for those less familiar
      with the radiance of Shabbat, Manhattan Jewish Experience presents
      an evening with a beginners prayer service, amazing Shabbat dinner,
      singing, dancing, meeting new people and guest speaker Rabbi
      Jonathan Feldman speaking on: "From Khartoum to Jerusalem:
      Confessions of an Ivy League Drop-Out." MJE is at 131 W86 St.
      212.787.9533

      Also 2/8 9:30pm the Upper West Side Sicha/Oneg series
      continues with singing, great company, drinks and other
      refreshments, and an insightful discussion by Rabbi Jonathan Reiss,
      Director of the Beit Din of America on: "Resolving the Agunah Issue -
      - A View From The Front Lines." The Oneg is hosted by Yair Yaish,
      215 W84 St (Eagle Court) Apt 127. For more info send email to
      Ariela.Aharon@...

      Saturday night 2/9 8pm, the new band Gonzo Station,
      featuring singer Dov Rosenblatt, at The Elbow Room, 144 Bleecker St.
      btwn LaGuardia Place & Thompson St. Cost: $10 (ages 16+) For more
      info call the club at 212-979-8434 or http://elbowroomnyc.com

      Starting 2/9 at 8PM (with 6 shows through 2/17) NYU is doing
      a Vocal Performance of "Fiddler on the Roof" at Frederick Loewe
      Theatre, 35 W4 St. Admission: $15 ($5 with NYU ID); this production
      is supposed to be exceptionally good. For Tickets, call 212-998-5281
      or see http://www.nyu.edu/education/music/calendar !!!NOTE: Kol
      Isha may be applicable here; consult your local Rabbinic authority!!!

      Also 2/9 at 8:30pm a concert starring "Midlife" at the Young
      Israel of North Riverdale, 6015 Riverdale Avenue at 260th St. This
      extraordinary band blends elements of Classic Rock, Jazz, and Jewish
      Heritage. Admission: $18 (includes light refreshments and dessert)
      Reservations: sfb376@...

      Also 2/9 7:45pm Neshama Carlebach in concert for women only
      at Maayanot High School, 1650 Palisade Ave, Teaneck, NJ to benefit
      Operation Lifeline (ambulances for Israel.) $20 (students: $15)
      Info: 201-845-0555 x400 or http://www.neshamacarlebach.com

      Also 2/9 Yardena is performing at the Living Room, 84
      Stanton at Allen St. I have no idea who this woman is or what kind
      of music she plays, but I saw it listed in the New York Press and
      her name sounds Jewish. If you check it out let me know. For more
      info contact the club at 212-533-7235 or http://www.livingroomny.com

      Sunday 2/10 Jewish Collegiate Festival for the Performing
      Arts at the Feinberg Auditorium of The Jewish Theological Seminary,
      Broadway and 122 St. Performances are 1pm and 4pm. Many university
      groups will join together from across the nation to bring songs,
      dances, and Klezmer music. Tickets: $5 for students ($8 non-
      students) at the door or in advance by emailing
      jcfpatickets@... or see http://www.columbia.edu/cu/jcfpa !!!
      NOTE: Kol Isha may be applicable here; consult your local Rabbinic
      authority!!!

      Also 2/10 5pm Netela Theatre of Israel another show at the
      Center for Jewish History: see desciption above

      Tuesday 2/12, 9pm Sarah Aroeste at Alphabet Lounge, 7th and
      Ave C. The new sensation in Ladino rock, Aroeste fuses traditional
      Mediterranean/Sephardic music with American rock and blues. Cost:
      $5 !!!NOTE: Kol Isha may be applicable here; consult your local
      Rabbinic authority!!!

      Thursday, 2/14 7pm "Jewish Calcutta: Through Music and
      Memory" at the JCC in Manhattan, 334 Amsterdam Ave. Artist Rahel
      Musleah transports her audience from life in America to the Jewish
      experience in Calcutta, Bombay and Cochin, India though songs,
      slides, photographs and heirlooms. $10; 212-580-0099 !!!NOTE: Kol
      Isha may be applicable here; consult your local Rabbinic authority!!!

      Friday 2/15 Ellie Kranzler will be leading the Kabbolas
      Shabbos services with lots of singing as part of the Chanukas
      Habayis celebration as Congreagation Aish Kodesh in Woodmere opens
      its new synagogue. Later Friday night tisch in the downstairs
      social hall led by Rav Weinberger. 516-374-8596 or
      http://aishkodesh.org

      Saturday night 2/16 Aish Kodesh sponsors a Chagiga with
      singing and dancing featuring Ellie Kranzler and friends at the SKA
      gym in Hewlett. See above for details

      Also 2/16 at 8:30PM "Second Chances" from the creators
      of "Twist of Fath", is the comedic and poignant musical play about a
      father and son trying to reconnect after years of estrangement-
      despite themselves. $15 in advance, $18 at the door: includes
      refreshments. Washington Heights Congregation, 815 West 179th
      Street at Pinehurst Avenue, at the GWB. For tickets: Jay Kierman at
      973-610-5220 or mkierman@...

      Also 2/16 8:30pm "The Chevra" debut concert at Brooklyn
      College. This new group is taking the mainstream Jewish music world
      by storm. Tickets: $18 and up; 212-868-2960

      Also 2/16 8PM Simply Tsfat in their only NY appearance on
      this trip, at the Flatbush Minyan (Rabbi Meir Fund's shul) 1517
      Avenue H, directly across from the Ave H stop on the Q train.
      Admission $15; more info call Rabbi Fund: 718-338-8442 or
      dbin@... or http://www.simplytsfat.com

      Sunday 2/17 at 4pm Oneg Shemesh performs in memory of his
      brother-in-law Andrew who was killed in the WTC. Hebrew Institute
      of Riverdale, 3700 Henry Hudson Parkway, Riverdale. 718-548-1850 or
      http://www.onegshemesh.com

      Also 2/17 at 2PM Rutgers University Hillel presents the
      annual Safam concert at the State Theater in New Brunswick, NJ, the
      highlight of their concert schedule for the last 23 years: always
      full of surprises. For more info contact the band at 800-364-4544
      or Safam@...

      Also 2/17 7PM Budapest Klezmer playing at Makor, 35 W67 St.
      Admission: $20; 212-601-1000 or http://makor.org !!!NOTE: Kol Isha
      may be applicable here; consult your local Rabbinic authority!!!

      Also 2/17 the Shearis Israel Concert at Lincoln Center
      featuring Eli Gerstner, Yaacov Schwecky, Dedi, "The Chevra" and
      more. The organization provides education with Russian Jews. For
      more info, call 888-4SHARIS.

      Music Album of the week: Rabbi Eliezer Garner of the Or
      Pnimi Center for Spiritual Return recently releases an incredible
      CD "Tomorrow will be Shabbos." It's a compilation of some great
      bands like Reva L'Sheva, Even Sh'siya and Yitzchak Halevi Band,
      interspersed with stories and inspring thoughts about the holy
      Sabbath by Rabbi Garner. The music represents some of the best
      selections from the various artists, and the soothing words of Torah
      from Rabbi Garner make this ideal listening for Friday afternoon, or
      anytime your spirits need a lift. Also check out his weekly radio
      programs of Jewish rock, the "Happy Chevra Show," Friday mornings
      7:30-8:30am and Sundays 10am-1pm, on WSIA 88.9 FM in Staten Island.
      http://wsia.csi.cuny.edu/schedule/garners.html

      Have a great Shabbos, and get ready for the Jewish month of
      Adar beginning next week, Tuesday 2/12, as we rejoice in preparation
      for the upcoming holiday of Purim.