Jewish Music for Chanukah

  • gilhoupt
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2001

      I apologize for the length of this email, but there's just so
      many great Jewish music events going next week for Chanukah. I try
      not to send out more than one email per week, but if you ever want to
      check on music updates see my website, with more current info, lots
      of music links and other info:

      Tonight Thursday, December 6 at 7PM Chabad on Washington
      Square presents an evening of Art, Spirituality and Song: with music
      performed by Andy Statman and exhibition of the art work of Agam, at
      Art Life Gallery, 155 Sixth Ave at Spring St. For more info call 646-

      Also 12/6 at 7:30 PM is a concert and lecture with Yom Tov
      Glaser, former world class surfer and current Rabbi who really knows
      how to live to the max! Featuring the incredible Jewish rock band
      Pey Dalid. Aish New York, 313 W83 St (between West End & Riverside)
      212-579-1388. Admission: $15. Check out the band's new website and
      print out free passes to the show at http://www.peydalid.com

      Friday night, December 7, Rabbi Samuel Intrator, former
      leader at the Carlebach Shul, will be leading a Carlebach shabaton at
      the YIFA located at 3 W16 St btw 5th & 6th Avenues. Friday night
      services begin at 5PM followed by a catered dinner at the shul with
      much singing, dancing, and words of Torah. Saturday morning services
      at 9AM, followed by a Kiddush, and there will also be a Seuda
      Shelishit with more of the above, followed by an extended havdalla
      service and melave malka. The neighborhood's Jewish community is
      getting smaller and they are trying to do all that is possible to
      save it -- please come. For more info call the shul at 212-255-4826

      Also 12/7 at 9PM Ani V'Ata, the Jewish a cappella group at
      NYU, will have its winter concert at Hebrew Union College, on Mercer
      and W4 St (1 block west of Bway). The event is free and open to the
      public; Shabbos will be observed and no microphones will be used;
      refreshments will be kosher parve. For more info, call Daniel Burns
      at 212-443-3133 or see http://www.nyu.edu/bronfman/anivata !PLEASE
      NOTE: the issue of Kol Isha may be applicable -- consult your local
      Rabbinic authority!

      Also 12/7 Tizmoret, Queens College Hillel's professional
      Jewish A Cappella choir, will be performing with Pizmon at an oneg at
      Columbia's Kraft Center. Shabbat morning 12/8 they will sing at
      Congreagation Ramath Orah after davening at the kiddush. And
      Saturday night 12/8 at 8PM Tizmoret will open for the Columbia
      Clefhangers in the party space (basement) of Lerner Hall on 115th and
      Broadway. For more info, contact Daniel Henkin at djh28@...
      or 212-663-8354 and see http://hammer.prohosting.com/~tizmoret !
      PLEASE NOTE: the issue of Kol Isha may be applicable -- consult your
      local Rabbinic authority!

      Saturday, December 8 at 8:30 PM Citigrass is playing at
      Makor, 35 W67 St. Though technically not playing Jewish music, this
      urban bluegrass band features 4 out of their 5 members who are
      Jewish, including Noah Solomon of the band Soulfarm on vocals and
      mandolin. For more info call 212-601-1000 or see
      http://www.makor.org and check out the band's new website:

      Also 12/8 at 8PM Chava Alberstein, the "Queen of the Israeli
      Folk Music Scene" is performing at the 92 St Y, 1395 Lexington Ave.
      Admission: $40. For more info and reservations call 212-415-5500 or
      see http://www.92ndsty.org !PLEASE NOTE: the issue of Kol Isha may
      be applicable -- consult your local Rabbinic authority!

      Also 12/8 8:30 PM Shaz is playing at Ramat Orah, 550 W110
      St. Admission is $10; for more info and to purchase tickets, call
      212-222-1103 or see http://shazmusic.com

      Also 12/8 at 8:15 PM Columbia University Hillel presents a
      Musical Showcase to benefit Israel: support Magen David Adom and
      enjoy the music of student bands in one jam packed evening, featuring
      a diverse group of performers: jazz, klezmer, rock, alternative,
      classical, etc. Rennert Auditorium, Kraft Center (115th off
      Boradway). Minimum donation: $10 (every dollar goes to Israel's
      Emergency Services). For more info contact Efrat at
      eh310@... !PLEASE NOTE: the issue of Kol Isha may be
      applicable -- consult your local Rabbinic authority!

      Also 12/8 8:30 PM an event for Jewish Singles in their 20s
      and 30s at Off the Grill restaurant in Cedarhurst (Central and Maple
      Aves) -- 5 minute walk from Cedarhurst LIRR Station. Cost: $32
      (includes Mediterranean meat buffet) and the music of Avi Spielman.
      Local matchmakers available to meet with Singles. For more info call
      the Young Israel of Hewlett at 516-295-2282

      Also 12/8 if you're wondering where I'll be, there's a great
      Shabbos experience that I'm helping coordinate at Ramapo College in
      Northern NJ, and Saturday night I'm going to be playing a free pre-
      Chanukah concert for the students there. All are welcome to attend!

      Sunday, December 9 is the first night of Chanukah, so come
      celebrate with a concert by Oneg Shemesh starting 6PM at Sufi Books
      in Tribeca: 227 West Broadway, between Franklin & White Street.
      Phone: 212-334-5212 or see http://www.onegshemesh.com

      Also 12/9 at 6PM a concert to benefit the victims of the
      World Trade Center bombing. "Hanukkah Pops" will feature the JTS
      Choir, conducted by Hazzan JoAnn Rice, performing choral, ensemble
      and solo selections of twentieth-century Jewish music, including
      student arrangements of seasonal favorites. Suggestion donation:
      adults, $10; students and children, $5. Photo id required to enter.
      Call JTS at 212-678-8839 or email studentlife@...

      Also 12/9 at 7PM come dance at the Carlebach Shul's annual
      Chanukah party, with Rabbi Yisroel Rabinowitz and the music of
      Michael Poulad and friends. Also featuring a video of Reb Shlomo, an
      appearance by Heshy Broyde, and a Chanukah boutique with jewelry,
      scarves, Judaica, silver, mezuzot, art glass. Admission: $15
      includes latkes and sufganiot. The shul is at 305 W79 St. 212-580-

      Also 12/9 the Moshav Band kicks off their New York tour with
      a show at "Our Place" in Brooklyn. For more info see

      Monday, December 10 is the second night of Chanukah, and I am
      giving my weekly class at 7:30 PM on "Mystical Connections through
      the Book of Genesis" upstairs at Congregation Ohab Zedek, 118 W95
      St. I'll start off with some Chanukah songs to set the mood. For
      more info on the OZ class schedule call the shul at 212-749-5150 or
      see http://ozny.org

      Tuesday, December 11, the third night of Chanukah, is the
      Isralight Chanukah bash with Rav Binny Freedman leading the kumsitz
      jam and speaking about "Bringing Light into the Darkness: Celebrating
      in the midst of Tragedy" at WSIS, 120 W76 St. Admission: $10
      (includes light buffet dinner). Doors open at 7PM. For more info
      call 561-447-0592 or see http://www.isralight.org

      Wednesday, December 12, the fourth night of Chanukah, Asi
      Spiegel will be playing a free Carlebach style Kumzitz combining
      music, stories and divrei Torah, hosted by the newly opened
      magnificent KaoSan Kosher Bistro. (Authentic Thai and Vietnamese
      food) at 1387 Coney Island Avenue in Brooklyn, between Ave K and Ave
      J. Show begins at 7:30 PM. Free Thai style latkes!!! For more info,
      email asi770@...

      Also 12/12 at 10:30 PM the Moshav Band is appearing at the
      Bitter End, 147 Bleeker St. 18+ only. $10 cover. For more info
      call the bar at 212-673-7030 or see http://www.bitterend.com and

      Also 12/12 Shloime Dachs is playing at Ramaz Middle School.
      For more info call Rabbi Sachs at 212-774-8000 or see

      Thursday December 13, the fifth night of Chanukah, OZ has its
      annual Chanuka Chagiga at 7:30 PM, with the Binyomin Ginzberg Trio.
      Admission: $15. Congregation Ohab Zedek is at 118 W95 St and
      http://ozny.org and 212-749-5150. Binyomin is also the featured
      keyboard player Yisroel Williger's latest release "Carlebach
      Friday night" which features Reb Shlomo's nusach for Friday
      davening using different Carlebach melodies for each verse of
      Dodi. For more info on Binyomin's band see http://jewishmusician.com

      Also 12/13 at 7:30 PM a Canukah Concert at The Young Israel
      of Holliswood, Queens to raise money for the Jewish organization
      Atlas, featuring Oneg Shemesh. For more info, email cheroneg@...
      or see http://www.onegshemesh.com

      Also 12/13 shamayim is playing at Aish New York, 313 W83 St
      (between West End & Riverside) For more info call the shul at 212-
      579-1388 or see http://www.shamayim.com

      Also 12/13 7:30 PM is the New York premiere of "Flamenco
      Sephard: the Gerard Edery Ensemble, a passionate evening of music,
      song, and dance from the Sephardic, Andalusian and Arabic worlds" at
      American Sephardi Federation, located at the Center for Jewish
      History, 15 W16 St. Admission: $18. For more info call 212-294-8350
      and see http://www.amsephfed.org !PLEASE NOTE: the issue of Kol Isha
      may be applicable -- consult your local Rabbinic authority!

      Also 12/13 at 7:30 PM is the YU Chanukah Concert featuring
      Avraham Fried and Shalsheles at Zysman Hall Lamport Auditorium, 500
      W185 St. Tickets start at $10. Open to all but security demands a
      valid photo ID required for entry. Mixed and separate seating
      available. For tickets or more info: 888-YUConcert or

      Friday December 14, the sixth night of Chanukah, beginning
      4:30 PM Neshama Carlebach will be leading a Kabbalat Shabbat for
      women only, at Congreagation Ohab Zedek, 118 W95 St. For more info
      call 212-749-5150 or see http://ozny.org

      Saturday Night, December 15 the seventh night of Chanukah, at
      8PM my band Remez will be playing a Chanukah concert along with
      B'samim, at Lincoln Square Synagogue, 200 Amsterdam Ave at 69 St.

      Fundraiser for the Just One Life Organization, which provides for
      Israeli children born into poverty. Tickets: $20. For more info,
      email stugash@... or call 212-683-6040 or see
      http://justonelife.org & http://www.bsamim.com & http://remez.org

      Also 12/15 at 8:15 PM the Jewish Community Council of Teaneck
      presents a Chanukah Café Bash featuring Avraham Rosenblum
      "unplugged" and Brian Gelfand at Congregation Beth Sholom, Rugby Road
      & Maitland Ave, in Teaneck, NJ. Proceeds to benefit the Emergency
      Medical Fund in Israel. Admission: $18 (includes all the latkes and
      sufganiyot you can eat!) For tickets or more info:
      info@... or http://jccouncilofteaneck.org

      Also 12/15 at 7:30 PM Mima'amakim New Moon Arts Festival at
      the Chabad Midtown, 509 5th Ave, btwn 42 and 43 St. Expressions of
      the Soul, featuring music, poetry and open mic. celebrating
      Chanukkah, Rosh Chodesh and publication of the new issue of the
      Mima'amakim Journal of Jewish Art, which is also available online,
      along with new live forums for poetry and prose, music and visual art
      pages, author pages, and the interview section, featuring interviews
      with Rabbi Laibl Wolf, author of "Practical Kabbalah," and Noah
      Solomon, lead vocalist of Soulfarm: http://www.mimaamakim.org

      Also 12/15 at 8PM Andy Statman, renowned master on both
      clarinet and mandolin, is appearing at the YU Museum, Center for
      Jewish History, 15 W16 St. Admission: $25. More info: 917-606-8200

      Also 12/15 Makor presents the music of Diaspora Soul and
      Golem at 35 W67 St. For more info call 212-601-1000. I don't know
      anything about these bands but I saw the event listed on the Makor
      website http://www.makor.org

      Also 12/15 John Zorn is playing at Tonic, 107 Norfolk Street
      (between Rivington and Delancey) two sets: 8 & 10PM. For more info
      call the bar at 212-358-7503 or http://www.tonic107.com

      Also 12/15 The Moshav Band finish up their NY tour before
      heading back to the West Coast with a show in Monsey, NY. For more
      info see http://www.moshavband.com

      Also 12/15 7:45 PM Miami Boys Choir will be performing at
      Brooklyn College. They'll do another show same time and place the
      next day 12/16. For more info call 718-998-4972 and for a website
      discussing the choir check out

      Sunday evening, December 16 from 10:30 AM til Noon I will
      once again be appearing at Ramath Orah's second inter-generational
      Chanukah celebration with residents of Amsterdam House. I'll be
      singing Chanukah songs accompanied by my guitar and any other
      musicians who want to attend. Please come and bring some cheer to
      those who can no longer get out of the house! We'll meet at the shul
      550 W110 St (btwn Amsterdam & Bdwy) and then walk up together to the
      home at Amsterdam and 112 St. For more info call the shul at 212-222-

      Also 12/16 the eighth and final night of Chanukah, Aish
      Kodesh presents at 6:30 PM a Chanukah Chagigah of Music and Torah at
      the Young Israel of Lawrence Cedarhurst, corner of Spruce and
      Broadway in Cedarhurst, featuring Avraham and Moe Rosenblum of the
      Diaspora Band. Free admission! For more info call the shul at 516-
      374-8596 or see http://aishkodesh.org or http://www.diasporaband.com

      Also 12/16 4-8PM a Chanukah party and variety show, featuring
      the music of Shamayim (original Jewish folk rock), Golem (punk
      Klezmer) and more. Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St.
      Admission: $7. More info: call the shul at 212-242-6425 and see

      Also 12/16 2PM Debbie Friedman is appearing at Congregation
      Rodeph Sholom, 7 W83 St. in a benefit concert with all proceeds going
      to victims of terrorism in the US and Israel. For more info call 212-
      836-1387 or see http://www.goldenland.com/debbie_friedman.htm !
      PLEASE NOTE: the issue of Kol Isha may be applicable -- consult your
      local Rabbinic authority!

      Also 12/16 at 7:30 PM Yavneh Olami has a Chanukah party, with
      music by Dov Rosenblatt at Congregation Ohab Zedek, 118 W95 St. All
      proceeds go to Kumah, aliyah movement for Jews of all ages and
      backgrounds committed to fulfilling the dream of returning to
      Israel. For more info: 212-749-5150 or see http://www.yavneholami.org

      Ongoing program through December 23: Folksbiene Yiddish
      Theatre presents "Songs of Paradise," a bilingual Yiddish-English
      musical at Theatre Four, 424 W55 St. Schedule: Wed & Thurs at 2PM &
      8PM; Sat 8PM; Sun 2PM & 5:30 PM. For more info call 212-239-6200 !
      PLEASE NOTE: the issue of Kol Isha may be applicable -- consult your
      local Rabbinic authority!

      New Music Recording of the week: I'm listening to this great
      new CD, "Peace of Mind" by Eli Chait. Don't be fooled by the opening
      track (a great cover of CCR's "Down on the Corner" using the
      lyrics "Asher Bara"), because the rest of the album is full of new
      original tunes composed mostly by Eli Chait, who also does vocals and
      gets full production credit. And it's not just tracks like "Shomer
      Yisrael" that you might hear on current Jewish music radio. There
      are some great harmonies on "Dror Yikra" making for a great slow
      ballad. Eli enlisted some really talented musicians and the
      instrumentation on the album is amazingly tight, especially
      on "Lema'an" which would prove to any LedZep fan there's something
      better than Stairway!

      One closing thought: as we light candles every night of
      Chanukah next week, we must remember that these lights represent the
      victory of the brave Jewish Macabees over the Greek conquerors who
      desecrated their Holy Temple and tried to force them to abandon
      Jewish observance. The Greeks did not attempt to destroy us on a
      physical plane, but rather attacked only our commitment to Judaism.
      Thus we are really celebrating the victory of spirituality over
      materialism, and what better way than with flames flickering
      heavenward reminding us of the special message we have to publicize
      to the world.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 17, 2008

        I hope all is well with everyone. I realize it has been a little while
        since my last email. I apologize for the delay. Thank G-d, I have been
        involved in some very special projects that are occupying my time.
        Chanukah is such a special time for the Jewish People, I couldn't let
        such a beautiful holiday pass without at least one posting. I
        apologize if I leave anything out. Please see the beautiful idea from
        Harav Kook that I included at the end of the email. Here are some of
        the events in the NY/NJ area.

        PLEASE NOTE: Shivi Keller, the extraordinary musician, singer and
        songwriter from Israel will be here with his band for the next 10 days
        and is available on some of the days for gigs. For those of you who
        are unfamiliar with Shivi, his music is some of the most beautiful and
        spiritual I have ever heard in my life, and many people I know agree
        with me. He was wounded seriously in two separate terrorist attacks
        and sings from his heart as a way to express his thanks to G-d for
        healing. He is here with his band Ein Od Milvado. For booking info
        contact Yakov cohen to book him
        ycohen261@... 347-743-3648. Here is a link of a video of
        Shivi singing:

        ---Thursday, Decemeber 18th
        YU and J&R Chanukah Concert
        Starring Yeshiva Boys Choir, Gabay, Menucha, and Aryeh Kunstler
        Benefiting Keren Achim - Tomchei Shabbos in Eretz Yisroel
        Lamport Auditorium at Yeshiva University
        Doors open at 7:30 and concert starts at 8:00
        Tickets at www.jewisheventtickets.com
        For questions: Please contact Daniel Bukingolts at bukin86@...
        or 917-608-6218

        ---Sat. Night Dec. 20th
        The Aryeh Kunstler Band - Live!
        Admission: $20 in advance, $25 at the door
        The newest Jewish Rock Sensation descends on Congregation Ohab Zedek
        for a rocking Erev Chanukah performance guaranteed to get you excited
        for chanukah.
        Doors open 7:30 PM
        Location: Congregation Ohab Zedek
        118 West 95th Street New York, NY
        Contact: RSVP 212-613-8300

        December 21, 4:00 PM
        Temple Beth O'r/Beth Torah
        111 Valley Road
        Clark, NJ
        Neshama Carlebach and her band will be performing with Reverend Roger
        Hambrick and members of The Green Pastures Baptist Choir. For
        Reservations and further information, please call 732-381-8403. NOTE:
        SEE BELOW

        December 21, 8:30 PM
        91 Main Street
        Nyack, NY
        Celebrate Chanukah with Neshama Carlebach in Rockland. Free Kosher
        Buffet, Free Giveaways, Free Raffle, Israeli disco night with DJ to
        follow concert. For further information please call 914-420-5820 or
        send an email to mendy@.... NOTE: SEE BELOW

        December 25
        208 west 13th Street NY NY 10011
        Neshama and David Morgan will be performing at the GLBT Community
        Chanukah Party. The party will be from 7-10, Neshama's performance
        will be at 8:30 PM. For further information, please send an email to
        zackmax123@... or CastingMR@.... NOTE: SEE BELOW

        December 27, 8PM
        Le Poisson Rouge
        158 Bleeker Street
        New York, NY 10012
        Neshama Carlebach Remembers Shlomo Carlebach's 'At The Village Gate',
        with special guest Jane Kelly Williams. For further information please
        visit lepoissonrouge.inticketing.com. NOTE: SEE BELOW

        ---Wed. night Dec. 24th
        Soulfarm and The Moshav Band Hanukkah Bash!
        Wednesday December 24, 2008 at BB Kings in Times Square
        with special guests Peter Shapiro and America's Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
        TICKETS: $17 Advance/$20 Day of Show
        Students Rush Tickets at the Door $10!
        Group Tickets of 8 @ 12.00 Each – Online Only – special offer code: OFFER
        OR CALL THE BOX OFFICE: 212-997-4144
        For more info go to http://www.bbkingblues.com

        ---Dec. 27th Sat night
        David Ross & Aryeh Kunstler
        Live in concert @ The Jewish Music Cafe
        401 9th St. - Park Slope
        Brooklyn, NY 11225
        Tickets = $15

        Dec. 26-28th
        Hasheveynu presents it annual weekend retreat featuring the music of
        Eitan Katz. It also features an array of inspirational speakers. It
        takes place in a beautiful hotel with gourmet cuisine. For more info
        call Hasheyvenu at 718 275 2200.

        The 4th Annual Sephardic Music Festival - Channuka 2008
        Shemspeed.com presents the 4th annual Sephardic Music Festival in NYC
        Chanukah 2008 December 21-28.
        The festival includes various artistic and cultural events throughout
        Manhattan and Brooklyn with musical performances by Israeli artists
        such as Eden Mi Qedem (joined by Yossi Piamenta), debut performances
        by Electro Morocco, NYC staples Pharaoh's Daughter and many more.
        Log onto www.shemspeed.com to see the entire list of all the
        performers as well as dates and time and prices. NOTE SEE BELOW

        ****NOTE: for these events, Kol Isha may apply, please consult your
        local orthodox rabbi for more info.

        Chanukah is such a beautiful holiday with rich spiritual significance.
        What is the deeper meaning behind the story of the Jews searching the
        Holy Temple and finding a small jug of oil that was untouched by
        defiled hands and still had the seal of the High Priest? Harav Kook
        writes that inside every Jew is a small jug of oil that sealed and
        pure, untouched by the outside world. On Chanukah we have the
        opportunity to reach inside ourselves and find that special jug and
        ignite it. It too can burn for 8 days just like the miracle of
        Chanukah. Wishing everyone a Happy Chanukah,

        Best Wishes, Yisroel