Jewish Music for Sukkos

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4 2:40 AM
      Dear Friends,

      We are in the midst of the holiday of Sukkos, which has
      bittersweet significance for us this year. We are still mourning the
      deaths of so many victims of terrorism, but we nevertheless continue
      celebrating life, on this, our most joyous holiday. Two thousand
      years ago, there was a custom at the Holy Temple in Jerusalem to have
      a huge party accompanying a special water-pouring ceremony, called
      Simchas Beis Hashoeva, which was such a great event that according to
      the Talmud whoever never witnessed it did not really know how to
      party. This is when we are judged for water -- the amount and
      location of rainfall -- and so nowadays we continue the tradition by
      having music, dancing, and food in the Sukkah. Even though we not
      feel like it this year, it's important to come together as Jews and
      recognize that everything comes from Above, whether or not we
      understand it.

      Tonight, Thursday, October 4: Chabad of the Upper West Side,
      101 W92 St (@ Columbus). Enjoy good food, great live music, and
      incredible Torah. Call to confirm info: 212-864-5010

      Also 10/4 at 7:30 PM is the Kineret Concert - for women only
      - at Shulamit High School Auditorium, E14 St & Ave M in Brooklyn.
      Tickets: $25 & $29. For more info: 718-627-1386

      Also 10/4 at 9PM Matt Turk is playing at CB's Gallery, 313
      Bowery at Bleecker. Admission: $5. For more info, call the club at
      212-677-2442 and see http://www.turktunes.com

      Also 10/4 Ira Heller is performing at Hershey Park. For more
      info, call toll-free 800-779-3323 and see http://www.iraheller.com

      Also 10/4 the Tzadik festival is going on at Tonic, featuring
      lots of great alternative Jewish music through Sunday 10/7. The bar
      is located above the former Kedem winery at 107 Norfolk Street
      (between Rivington and Delancey) and can be reached at 212-358-7503
      or http://www.tonic107.com !PLEASE NOTE: The food at Tonic is not
      strictly kosher: consult your local Rabbinic authority!

      Friday October 5 7:30 PM is the second annual "Jewish
      Raindance Radical Ritual Revival," at the New Shul, 55 Washington
      Square South. This is an experimental interpretation of the Simchas
      Beis Hashoeva, "incorporating contemporary music, trance dance, and
      performance art with ancient myths and traditions from our tribal
      legacy." Music by Frank London, Matt Turk, Tomer Tzur and many more.

      Admission is free. For more info, call 212-284-6776 !PLEASE NOTE:
      the issue of Kol Isha may be applicable -- consult your local
      Rabbinic authority!

      Saturday night October 6 at 9PM is the huge Sukkos concert
      starring Yisroel Williger, Shloime Dachs, Mendy Wald, and more. At
      Abraham Lincoln Auditorium, 2800 Ocean Parkway (1 block past Ave Z).
      Tickets: $25 & $32. For more info: 718-627-1386

      Also 10/6, Oneg Shammes is playing a Simchas Beis Hashoeva at
      Kol Yaakov Torah Center, 29 West Maple Avenue, in Monsey. Oneg lost
      his brother-in-law at the World Trade Center, and I'm sure his music
      will be especially meaningful. For more info, call 845-425-3863

      Also 10/6 at 8PM Cantor Malovany and the Azuoliukas Boys
      Choir at NY Society for Ethical Culture, 2 W64 St. Admission: $30
      ($25 students); more info: 212-982-1335

      Also 10/6 at 8:30 PM Soulfarm is playing at Makor, 35 W 67
      St. Admission: $12. For more info: 212-601-1000 or
      http://www.makor.org or http://www.soulfarm.net

      Also 10/6 at 9PM Matt Turk is playing 3 solo acoustic sets at
      The Cup, Railroad Ave in Wantagh Long Island, just off the LIRR.
      Admission: $5 suggested. For more info, call 516-826-9533 or see

      Also 10/6 if you're wondering why I'm not around NY all week,
      there's a Simchas Beis Hashoeva at a shul in Toronto (Congregation
      Shomrei Shabbos on Glengrove) where I go every year. But I'll be
      coming back in time for the end of the holiday, as long as they don't
      give me any trouble at the border!

      Sunday, October 7 at 7PM Oneg Shammes is performing for a
      Simchas Beis Hashoeva at Young Israel of Great Neck, on Middle Neck
      Road. Oneg's brother-in-law was killed in the World Trade Center
      bombing, and the concert is in his honour and memory. For more info,
      email cheroneg@...

      Also 10/7 the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale is having a
      Simchas Beis Hashoeva from Noon until 3PM. HIR is located at 3700
      Henry Hudson Parkway, in the Bronx. For more information: call the
      shul office at 718-796-4730 or goto http://www.hir.org

      Also 10/7, Ira Heller is giving a concert at the Pelham
      Parkway Festival in the Bronx. For more info, call toll-free 800-
      779-3323 and see http://www.iraheller.com

      Also 10/7 there is something going on at the Center for
      Jewish History, 15 W 16 St. I was not able to get any details in
      time, so for more info, call 212-294-8350 or 212-294-6170.

      Monday, October 8 is Hoshana Raba, the seventh and final day
      of Sukkos, given a special name for the long morning prayer service
      which features a ceremony of willow branches and a procession around
      the synagogue seven times with the willow, myrtle, palm branches and
      esrog fruit. You've got to see this! At the Hebrew Institute of
      Riverdale, they incorporate a lot of singing in the davening, and
      I'll be there with some members of my band Remez to provide the
      musical accompaniment. The service is from 8 to 10AM. The shul is
      at 3700 Henry Hudson Parkway, 718-796-4730 or http://www.hir.org

      Tuesday night October 9 is Simchas Torah, and Jews will be
      singing and dancing with the Torah in shuls all over the city. If
      you're on the Upper West Side: this year because of the situation
      there will be no dancing on West End Ave. Instead, I recommend the
      West Side Institutional Synagogue, 120 W76 St just west of Columbus
      Ave. Rabbi Sammy Intrator will be leading the festivities all night,
      starting 6:30 PM. Free refreshments!

      Saturday, October 13 starting 9:30 AM is the Upreach Minyan
      at Congregation Ohab Zedek, 118 W95 St. I'll be leading the davening
      with lots of singing along with some explanations about what the
      prayers are all about, filling in for Rabbi Cohen who's in Israel for
      a few weeks. For more info, call the shul at 212-749-5150 or see

      Hold the date: Sunday, October 21 my band Remez is playing
      our first concert of the year, after a long summer hiatus. Also
      performing is Yosef Karduner, coming from Israel for his first US
      tour ever! Stay tuned for more info.

      On Sukkos we leave the comfortability of our homes and spend
      a week eating [and, for those brave enough, sleeping] in a makeshift
      hut. This is to remind us of the way the Jews traveled with their
      tents for 40 years in the desert on their way to the Holy Land, and
      also of how they were enveloped by G-d's presence on their journey.
      I think this year the dual symbolism is particular apt: though we are
      well along our global path from slavery to freedom, we must remember
      that we're not quite there yet. Until a few weeks ago, living in our
      ultra-modern city it was easy to forget that there are still people
      suffering all over the world, and we were given a painful reminder
      that as long as terrorism still exists we cannot remain safe no
      matter how strong our building are. Also, we must now more than ever
      pray for Divine protection: all our military might and intelligence
      agencies are useless in a war against an unknown enemy!
      A few weeks ago I was giving a dvar Torah in shul and related
      my experiences of spending the summer in Israel. I had come to the
      realization that, contrary to popular perception, being in Israel
      does not increase one's chances of becoming a victim of terrorism.
      You die when G-d decides your time is up -- it doesn't matter where
      you are. When I expressed this opinion at the time it was not so
      well-received: after all, people in New York didn't feel unsafe when
      eating at their local pizzeria. Little did I know how prophetic my
      words would turn out to be! Four days later a member of my community
      was killed just for doing his job in the management of Windows on the
      World restaurant atop the World Trade Center. Thousands more died at
      the same place and time, just because a few terrorists wanted to
      wreak havoc on our society. But as much as I can't understand why
      all the victims were meant to die on that day, I believe that it
      somehow all fits in to a Divine plan, and the suicide bombers were
      unknowingly merely agents. One day it will all become clear to us,
      but until then our only recourse is to trust in G-d. This Sukkos as
      we encircle the synagogue saying "Hosha Na - Please save us," let us
      remember how dependent we are on that Salvation, and say it with all
      our hearts.

      Chag Sameach!!! ---Gili Houpt
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20, 2002

        Tonight begins the holiday of Sukkos, the Biblical mandated
        week of happiness. As such there is a custom to have musical events
        every night with lots of good food in the Sukkah. This reminds us
        of the special water-pouring ceremony thousands of years ago in the
        Holy Temple in Jerusalem, accompanied by much celebration (Simchas
        Beis Hashoeva), about which the Talmud says whoever didn't witness
        this annual event has never experienced true joy. So be sure to
        catch some of these great events and get in on some of the good

        Monday, Sept 23 I'll be playing guitar and singing at the
        JACS sukkah celebration for Jews in recovery from drug and alcohol
        addiction. (I bet you thought Jews didn't have drinking problems!)
        At the home of Arnie and Kathy G., 147-22 68th Ave. Flushing. Cost:
        $25 JACS members/$35 Non-Members includes a full-course, home-cooked
        meal in the sukkah, recovery and sharing. More info and to RSVP,
        call the JACS office at 212.397.4197 or email clung@... and
        see http://www.jacsweb.org

        Also Sept 23 at 8pm Andy Statman Trio playing Jewish
        bluegrass at the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4
        St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes refreshments). For more info
        call the shul at 212-242-6425 or see http://www.andystatman.org

        Also Sept 23 if you're up in near Monsey, check out this
        incredible concert: Seth Glass, Pey Dalid, Gideon Sword, and more,
        at the JCC-Y of Rockland, 900 Route 45 in New City. Doors open at
        6pm - Concert begins at 6:30pm. Cost: $15 (students: $12) For more
        info call 845-426-6887 or email rockyhorrors@... and see
        http://www.sethglass.com and http://www.peydalid.com

        Tuesday September 24, 7-11pm Isralight's weekly event will
        feature a special music jam kumsitz -- all musicians bring your
        instruments; all others bring your voices to sing and hands to clap
        along. Refreshments in the Sukkah, catered by Darna. Kumsitz
        starts at 7pm; then at 9pm choose from one of three new interactive
        classes based on Rabbi Aaron's upcoming books, with Reb Yaakov Dov,
        Reb Top, or me. At WSIS, 120 W76 St, between Amsterdam & Columbus.
        Cost: $10 (students: $5) For more info see http://isralight.org

        Also Sep 24 6-9pm Chabad of the Upper West Side has their
        annual Simchat Beit Hasoevah barbecue with live music, at 101 W92
        St. Cost: $18 RSVP: 212-864-5010 x14 or chabad@...

        Also Sep 24 8-10:30 PM, a men-only simchas bais hasho'eva at
        Congregation Aish Kodesh, 353 Woodmere Blvd. (one block from the
        Woodmere stop on the LIRR -- free parking there). Special musical
        guest and, of course, divrei Torah from Rav Weinberger. The Succah
        is located in the parking lot on Woodmere Place. More info: 516-374-
        8596 or http://aishkodesh.org

        Also Sep 24 at 10 PM, Bat Sheva will be performing at Makor,
        35 W67 St. This is the end of Local Artist Showcase, which begins
        at 7pm. Bat Sheva combines Middle Eastern melodies with Western
        songwriting. For more info call 212-601-1000 or see
        http://makor.org NOTE: Kol Isha may be applicable here; consult
        your local Rabbinic authority

        Also Sep 24 at 3pm is a Jewish music concert at Hershey
        Park, featuring Ira Heller. For directions:
        http://www.hersheypark.com and see http://www.iraheller.com

        Wednesday, September 25 at 7:30 Jewish Enrichment Center and
        NYJSOLO team up to bring you a Musical Jam With Matt Turk in the
        Sukkah on 29th and Lexington; in case of rain: JEC, 176 Madison
        between 33 and 34, 2nd fl. Good food, great drinks and even better
        vibes. Cost: free for NYJSOLO members ($10 for non-members). To
        sign up go to http://www.nyjsolo.com and please tell them you heard
        about it from my list! For more info call JEC at 212.889.5532 and
        see http://www.turktunes.com

        Also Sept 25, 8:30 PM, I'm providing the musical
        entertainment for The Meaningful Life Center's sushi in the sukkah
        with Simon Jacobson at 101 w. 92nd St, corner of Columbus Ave. Cost:
        $65 in advance, $70 at the door. If any musicians want to join me
        let me know and I might be able to get you in free. RSVP to
        718.774.6448 or diane@...

        September 26th at 8pm a Hoshanna Rabba Concert with "The
        Singing Table" Rare & Beautiful Hasidic Nigunim with klezmer
        musicians Michael Alpert, Sruli Dresder, and Lisa Mayer, at Old
        Broadway Synagogue, between Broadway and Amsterdam, one half block
        north of 125th street. Admission: $10 at the door. For more info
        call 212-662-9767 or see http://www.geocities.com/oldbroadway_shul

        Also Sept. 26, at 9pm the whole world is invited to a Tish
        at the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale Sukkah, 3700 Henry Hudson
        Parkway. Bring your instruments for an intense, deep evening of
        song and stories. This is going to be awesome!!!! Contact Uri and
        Dahlia Top for more info at 718-884-2586 and see http://www.hir.org

        Also Sept. 26, 7:30-10:30 concert at the Carlebach Shul, 305
        W79 St. Featuring Rabbi Yisroel Rabinowitz, grandson of the
        Pshistcha Rebbe, visiting from Israel. Yisrael is an amazing singer
        with an incredible knowledge of Carlebach tunes -- he used to come
        to our kumsitzes years ago! Admission: $12. More info: call 212-
        721-SHUL or see http://carlebachshul.org

        Also Sept. 26, 7-10:30 p.m. Sukkot Blues Cruise to the
        Statue of Liberty with the Blue Collar Blues Band (I don't know
        anything about this band but I hear they play a cool mix Jewish
        music and blues). Sponsored by Temple Beth-El of City Island to
        celebrate our harvest holiday and the greatness of freedom. Kosher
        food & wine from The Kosher Marketplace in Manhattan. Donation: $45
        per person. More info: call 718-885-3098.

        Friday, September 27 be sure to catch the special Hoshanah
        Rabbah services. The Hebrew Institute of Riverdale begins at 8am and
        is very festive with Hallel and Hoshanas (palm-branch processions
        and songs of praise). The whole world is invited – bring your
        instruments, but mostly your energy, for an uplifting tefillah led
        by Rabbi Avi Weiss. Services will be followed by a free hot
        breakfast. HIR is at 3700 Henry Hudson Parkway. Contact Uri and
        Dahlia Top for more info at 718-884-2586 or see http://www.hir.org

        Also Sept 27 10am-2pm the Carlebach Shul also has musical
        davening (for those who like to sleep in) with Rabbi Moshe
        Stepansky. Bring your instruments for spirited singing. More info:
        call 212-721-SHUL or see http://carlebachshul.org

        As we step out of our solid homes into our temporary huts,
        let us remember the lesson of Sukkos, that what seems most concrete
        and lasting in this world is often most fleeting, whereas the only
        true substance is the spirituality that permeates the universe, if
        we but desire to see it. May this year be one of the rebuilding of
        King David's fallen Sukkah, the Holy Temple in Jerusalem, and may we
        merit to see the true joy from Simchas Beis Hasoeva in its proper

        Good Shabbos and Chag Sameach!

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14 2:59 PM
          Dear Friends,

          Sorry I haven't sent out a music update in the past couple of
          weeks: the High Holidays are the busiest time of year for both rabbis
          and cantors, and since I'm working as both I've been pretty busy!
          But get ready for the upcoming festival of joy, as Sukkos is the
          culmination of all the holidays, with the Biblical
          imperative: "Rejoice!"

          Tonight, Friday, Oct 14 at 6:05pm I'll be leading the
          davening at Congregation Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St, between Broadway
          and Amsterdam. Come check out some new tunes for Kabbalas Shabbos.
          More info: 212-222-2470 or http://www.ramathorah.org

          Tomorrow night, Saturday, Oct 15 is our next opportunity for
          kiddush levana, the blessing of the new moon, weather permitting.
          Every month we say this special blessing (sometimes accompanied by
          singing and dancing, depending on which shul you go to) usually on
          the first Saturday night that the moon is visible. For the month of
          Tishrei it's customary to wait until after Yom Kippur, but last night
          it was raining here in NY. So hopefully we'll have clear skies
          tomorrow, so we can join together to sing siman tov umazal tov, and
          wish each other a shalom aleichem.

          Also Oct 15 at 8PM Heedoosh w/Special Guests: Eden, playing
          at Makor, 35 W 67th St. Embracing styles from hard rock grunge to
          sensually melodic ballads, Heedoosh is a trailblazing fusion of a
          brooding, mysterious sound with lyrics that convey both the longing
          for, and imminence of, redemption. This will be their last show (for
          the next few months) prior to their album release. Tickets: $15.
          More info: 718-513-0980 and http://heedoosh.com

          Also Oct 15 @9pm, Soul Searching, a new Jewish musical play
          in "previews" now at the 45th Street Theater, 354 West 45th Street
          (b/w 8th and 9th Avenues). The show follows the comedic and poignant
          plight of a single Jewish woman in NYC as she struggles to find her
          match and find her true spiritual place in the world. With music and
          lyrics by Avi Kunstler, along with a 4-piece rock band. Tickets:
          $25. Performances every Thurs @8 PM, Sat @9PM, and Sun @3PM &
          7:30PM. More info: call 212-352-3101 and see http://theatermania.com
          **NOTE: See Below

          Wednesday-Sunday nights, Oct 19 (except Friday) we celebrate
          Sukkos with great music, singing and dancing all over the world.
          We're reliving the Simchas Beis Haso'eva celebration from the times
          of the Temple. The various Chassidic groups have huge concerts. I
          don't have a complete list, but I'm told that in Boro Park starting
          at around 8-9pm, check out Munkatsch, Bobov, Karlin-stolin, and
          Spetchin. The Skulener Rebbe gets started around 3am. Sorry I don't
          have addresses, but just go ask any Jew in the neighborhood.

          Thursday October 20, 1PM–7PM, the Queens Chol Hamoed
          Festival, featuring a free concert with Avraham Rosenblum and
          Diaspora, Piamanta, Pey Dalid, Yerachmiel, the Nochi Krohn Band, and
          the astounding magic of Marc Levine. At Cunningham Park, 196th St and
          Union Turnpike. Suggested donation: $10 - proceeds to the One Israel
          Fund. Refreshments will be served (a Succah will be available). Bring
          beach chairs and/or blankets for added comfort.

          Sunday, October 23 at 4pm, the AFRO-SEMITIC EXPERIENCE, at
          Cheshire Public Library, 104 Main St, in Cheshire, CT. Info: 203-272-
          2246 or http://chevan.addr.com

          Sunday, October 24, 7:30-10:30PM Hoshanah Rabbah Concert
          featuring the music of Yerachmiel, at the Carlebach Shul, 305 W79 St
          between Riverside & West End Ave. Admission: $15. Following concert,
          reading of Sefer Dvarim at 11 PM, Open to the public. Info: 212-721-
          SHUL or http://carlebachshul.org/UpSchedule/Concerts.htm

          Sunday, Nov 6 at 8pm Mima'amakim Publication Party: Sixth
          Anniversary Salute, featuring Mima'amakim Poets with the music of
          Basya Schechter (Pharaoh's Daughter), Chickpeaz (ft. Matthue Roth)
          and Frantic Turtle (ft. Jake Marmer). At Cornelia Street Cafe, 29
          Cornelia Street (b/n Bleecker and West 4th). Cost: $6 + one drink
          min. http://mimaamakim.org
          **NOTE: See Below

          Have a good Shabbos and a great Sukkos!

          Gili Houpt

          *NOTE: For all the above events so noted, the issue of Kol Isha may
          apply; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more info, and see
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6 3:22 PM
            Dear Friends,

            There are so many great Jewish music events going on for
            Sukkos no wonder it's called HAchag - THE holiday! May we merit to
            feel the Divine presence enveloping us as we sit in the Sukkah,
            fulfilling one of the only mitzvos you can do with your entire body!

            ------- FRIDAY, OCT 6
            6:10pm Seth Nadel leads the davening with lots of singing for the
            Carlebach Congregation of Teaneck, 95 Edgemont Pl. Info: 201-708-
            6629 http://carlebachteaneck.com

            ------- SATURDAY, OCT 7
            9:15am I'm leading the davening with lots of singing and giving the
            drasha at the Old Broadway Synagogue, located at 15 Old Broadway, a
            half-block east of Broadway between 125 & 126 St. Davening both
            Shabbos and Sunday mornings followed by kiddush/lunch in the shul
            Sukkah. Also Saturday afternoon, mincha at 5:50pm followed by
            Shalosh-Seudos in the Sukkah with some great Sukkos songs. See

            ------- SUNDAY-WEDNESDAY, OCT 8-11
            Every night of Sukkos it is customary to have a Simchas Beis
            Haso'eva - celebrate the holiday with great music, singing and
            dancing as we relive the joy of the ancient Temple in Jerusalem.
            Various Chassidic groups in Brooklyn have huge concerts, and last
            year I went with my fellow musician Reb Seth Nadel who goes Brooklyn
            Sukkah-hopping every year. The following is the list I recorded, but
            I don't know if anything is changed for this year, mostly starting
            around 8-9pm:
            -- Munkatch, 47 St & 14 Ave, the Chassidim stand on bleachers
            surrounding the Rebbe in the center of a HUGE Sukkah; featuring live
            music until around midnight. Women's gallery (separate entrance).
            -- Bobov, 47 St & 15-16 Ave, thousands of Chassidim in a GIGANTIC
            Sukkah (probably the biggest I've ever seen) sing niggunim with the
            Rebbe and wait to catch his eye and exchange a wave. Ends around 1am.
            Women's gallery (separate entrance).
            -- Karlin-Stolin, 16 Ave & 46-47 St, spirited dancing indoors to live
            music, ending around 1:30am. Men only.
            -- Stitchin, 54 St & 14-15 Ave, midnight-2am, the Rebbe leads the
            dancing with hundreds of Chassidim in a small room (drink lots of
            water!). Keyboard player with some good tunes.
            -- Skulen, 1315 54th St & 13 Ave, I've been told is not happening
            this year, as the Rebbe R'Avrohom Portugal is recuperating Upstate
            (he must be in his nineties), so you'll have to find somewhere else
            to get hot potato kugel at 3am!
            -- If you get lost, just ask directions from anyone wearing a
            shtreimel (fur hat) or bekisheh (long coat of patterned black silk),
            and it helps if you speak Yiddish.
            --- Seth and I didn't make it over to Crown Heights, but I'm told
            that Chabad closes down the streets there for all-night music and
            dancing, I think around Kingston Ave. Note of caution: all of these
            events are NOT recommended for those who get claustrophobic!

            ------- SUNDAY, OCT 8
            8pm Seth Nadel plays a musical Melave Malka & simchas beis hashueva
            in Teaneck, NJ: 765 Carroll Pl. Bring your own acoustic instruments
            and words of Torah to share. Admission: $5 online before Succos; $10
            afterwards or at the door; kids 17 and under free. Info: 201-708-
            6629 http://carlebachteaneck.com

            ------- MONDAY, OCT 9

            7:45-10pm I'm playing a Simchas Beis Hasho'eva at the Vorhand
            Shteeble, Congregation & Yeshiva Heichal Moshe, 305 W91 St (between
            West End and Riverside). Email or call me for more info: 646-706-3076

            8pm Yehonatan Bechor is making a hazkarah for his grandmother,
            featuring a simchat beit hashoeivah and siyum, at his home in
            Woodmere: 900 Browers Point Branch, south of Broadway, off Woodmere
            Blvd. If you play, bring an instrument. Info: 516-374-0223 or

            7:30 pm Rabbi Nachman of Breslov Yahrzeit Gathering, at the Carlbach
            Shul Sukkah, 305 W 79 St. Featuring Breslov Stories, Torahs and
            Music, with Rabbi Naftali Citron and other speakers. Music with
            David Schweke, and bring your own instruments! Admission: $5
            (includes pizza and soda). Info: 917-796-6473 or

            5:30-8:30pm Chabad of the Five Towns presents Simchat Beit Hashoeva,
            at Cedarhurst Park, corner of Summit and Cedarhurst Aves. Activities
            and fun for all ages: music by Azamra DJ; entertainment by "TWO".
            More info: 516-295-2478 or http://chabadfivetowns.com

            8:30PM Sukkah in the City, at Park East Synagogue, 164 East 68th St,
            betw Lexington and 3rd Ave. Cool Music... Cool Crowd... Hot Sukkah.
            Price: $10. Contact: 800-722-3191 http://gatewaysonline.com

            6:30pm African-style Sukkot celebration, featuring the Drum Cafe, an
            interactive drumming company that involves the audience in creating
            music, emphasizing the message of the Sukkot, unity of the Jewish
            people. At the Chabad House of Western Monmouth County, 26 Wickatunk
            Rd. Admission is $15 for adults; $5 for children. Call 732-972-3687

            7:30PM Chol Hamoed Extravaganza - a night of Musical Entertainment
            featuring Israeli Stars: Ohad, Kinderlach, Gershon Orchestra, Yishai
            Lapidot, Dovid Gabay, at Queens College. Tickets start at $30 (some
            of proceeds to benefit children in Israel), available at local
            Judaica stores or call 631.514.7444 http://jewishtickets.com

            ------- TUESDAY, OCT 10
            8-11pm Daniel Gil performs a Simchas Beis HaShoeva in Passaic, NJ, at
            Ahavas Israel, 181 Van Houten Ave. Featuring a rare appearance by
            Daniel Gil, amazing composer and recording artist - see below for my
            review of his CD. I'll be joining him on guitar, along with Greg
            Wall, Tzvi Kalman and Gilad Dobrecky. Suggested Donation: $8; $5
            students; $25 family. Men and women separate for both seating and
            dancing. Info: call Marty & Menucha Rothenberg at 973-472-7336

            11:15am-5:30pm carnival & concert, featuring Miami Boys Choir,
            Avrohom Fried, Uncle Moishe, Dovid Gabay, Champions on Ice, Carnival
            Rides, The Extreme Team, Cirque Africa, All Star Animal Show. In
            Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, NJ - buses available
            from Boro Park, Flatbush and Williamsburg. Separate seating except
            families/children. Tickets start at $25; in advance: $22 - buy
            online or call 877-9Chol-Hamoed http://cholhamoedevents.com

            ------- WEDNESDAY, OCT 11
            8 pm Musical Simchas Beis Hashoevah with Seth Nadel in Passaic, NJ:
            Tifereth Israel, 180 Passaic Ave. $5 donation, includes light
            refreshments in the Sukkah. Bring yourself, a friend, and an
            instrument too! http://sethnadel.com

            7:30pm Omek Hadavar in a Simchas Beis Hashoeva concert for NCSY, at
            the Utopia Jewish Center, 64-41 Utopia Parkway in Fresh Meadows,
            Queens. Tickets at the door: $10; in advance: $8 - call 718-461-1200
            and see http://myspace.com/omekhadavar

            6:30 pm Dinner with lectures on "Music for Sukkot, Hoshanah Rabbah,
            Sh'mini Atzeret and Simhat Torah," at Lincoln Square Synagogue, 200
            Amsterdam Ave @ W70 St. With presentations by Cantors Sherwood
            Goffin and Bernard Beer, of the Belz School of Jewish Music.
            Reservations: $25; call 212-960-5353 or email belzschool@...

            1-1:30pm Sukkos party for the JASA senior center @WSIS, 120 W76 St.
            Looking for volunteers to join the band, with guitar, keyboard and/or
            voice. Contact Ruthie Simon at 212-854-2473 or rsimon@...

            ------- THURSDAY, OCT 12
            7pm Simchat Beit HaShoeva Musical Leil Hoshanah Rabbah Tish with
            Rabbi Uri Topolosky, an evening filled with song, words of Torah,
            dancing and food, as we dwell in the holiday for one last night this
            year, in the candlelit sukkah at the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale,
            3700 Henry Hudson Parkway. Free admission, and feel free to bring
            your own instruments! Info: 718-796-4730 or see http://hir.org

            ------- FRIDAY, OCT 13
            Hoshana Raba, the seventh and final day of Sukkos, with a special
            prayer service featuring a ceremony of willow branches and a
            procession around the synagogue seven times as we sing "Hoshana Na"
            (Please Save). You've got to see this! Some shuls go all out making
            this a very meaningful experience. Check out the following:
            --Congregation Shearith Israel, The Spanish and Portuguese
            Synagogue, 8 W70th St, at Central Park West. Davening 6:30AM, Jews of
            all backgrounds flock to this oldest congregation in North America,
            especially on Hoshana Raba, to observe and participate in the
            Sefardic rituals and sing their traditional tunes. Info: 212.873.0300
            or http://shearithisrael.org
            --The Hebrew Institute of Riverdale, 3700 Henry Hudson Parkway.
            Davening 8-10AM, special musical service led by Rav Uri, followed by
            breakfast in the Sukkah! Feel free to bring your own drums, shakers,
            cymbals and the like! More info: 718-796-4730 or http://hir.org
            --Carlebach Shul, 305 W79 St between Riverside & West End Ave.
            Davening 10am-2pm. The highest of the high, deepest of the deep, it's
            mamesh a gevalt! Bring all your musical instruments! Info: 212-721-
            SHUL or http://carlebachshul.org

            ------- SATURDAY, OCT 14
            10pm Simchat Torah Celebration - dancing in the streets in front of
            West Side Institutional Synagogue, 120 W76 St, between Amsterdam and
            Columbus. All shuls, groups, organizations and individuals are
            invited to march down and participate in uniting the Jewish community
            of Manhattan through singing and dancing with the Torah. Info: 212-
            877-7652 or http://wsisny.org

            ------- FRIDAY-SATURDAY, OCT 20-21
            Isralight Shabbaton with Rav Binny Freedman, at Lincoln Square
            Synagogue, 200 Amsterdam Ave. Including spirited Friday night
            Tefillah, followed by dinner (by reservations only) and dessert Tisch
            open to the community, with Rav Binny, Rabbi Robinson, and Rabbi
            Morris. Seudah Shlishit (Third Meal) with stories and songs,
            Isralight-style! Info: 212.874.6100 or http://lss.org

            ------- SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21
            Yosef Karduner performs for Aish Kodesh, at the Young Israel of
            Lawrence Cedarhurst. He's on tour from Israel Oct 18-29, so if
            you're interested in booking any other shows, contact Azriel Ganz at
            917-826-2612 or eganz@...

            ------- SUNDAY, OCT 22
            7pm Moshav Band & The Big Blue Accident in Teaneck, NJ: at Mexicali
            Blues, 1409 Queen Anne Rd. All Ages: $15 admission. More info:
            contact Benjamin Cohen at 201-838-1256 or bcohen@...
            http://moshavband.com http://mexicalibluescafe.com

            ------- TUESDAY, OCT 24
            7:30pm Tribeca Showcase of New Jewish Music & Comedy (and open mike),
            with Binymoin Ginsberg, Pharaohs Daughter, Seth Glass, Yaakov Chesed,
            Rich Mansour, Lost Tribe. At the Synagogue for the Arts, 49 White
            St, west of Broadway; 2 blocks below Canal St. More info, call: 212-
            966-7141 http://synagogueforthearts.org
            *NOTE: See Below

            ------- FRIDAY-SATURDAY, OCT 28-29
            Reb Shlomo Carlebach Yarzheit Shabbaton in Teaneck, NJ, with the
            phenomenal Rabbi Sammy Intrator, past rabbi of the Carlebach Shul,
            along with special musical guests. Reb Sammy will share the deepest
            torah teachings, stories of our holy Chassidic masters, experiences
            on the road with Reb Shlomo, and of course, the most ecstatic music.
            Lodging available; advance purchase of meals required: $30 ($40 after
            Oct 18), children 10 yrs & under FREE. Melave Malka $10 ($15 at
            door), 17 and under free. Last year sold out after 200 people
            arrived! Full info: 201-708-6629 http://carlebachteaneck.com

            ------- SATURDAY, OCT 29
            7:30pm Darfur Benefit Concert featuring Naqshon's Leap, raising funds
            to end the genocide against the people of Darfur, in Tenafly, NJ: at
            the JCC on the Palisades. Cost: $20; $10 Children or students. More
            info: 201-569-7900x204 http://myspace.com/naqshonsleap

            ------- ANNOUNCEMENTS
            Nishmat Hatzafon, a women's arts company based in NY promoting the
            expression of Jewish women's artistic talent
            and creativity, performs dance, poetry, song, and music around Jewish
            themes. They're currently seeking trained dancers, singers,
            musicians, and poets for upcoming performance series. To audition:

            ------- Jewish Music Album of the Week:
            Daniel Gil's "Soul Calling" is the best kept secret in Jewish music,
            an incredible album with ten original songs from Tanach
            (Nachamu, Hodu Lashem, Hazor'im, Aishes Chayil), liturgy (Oseh
            Shalom, 2 different Lecha Dodi tunes) and other sources. Daniel
            performs all vocals, guitar, violin and viola, with compositions
            melding his classical training and Shlomo Carlebach influence. The
            resulting spiritual sound is truly music for the Jewish soul. Pick
            up the CD in Passaic on Tuesday, Oct 10, at a rare NY-area
            appearance, or call Daniel Gil directly at 781-784-7799

            Have a great Shabbos and Chag Sameach!