Due to rain, kumsitz postponed to this Sunday

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2001
      Dear Friends,

      Among the many great things about being in Israel is that
      every time I plan a kumsitz here I am guaranteed great weather: the
      days in Jerusalem are bright and sunny; nights are breezy and cool.
      But in New York it rains every day that I plan a kumsitz in Central
      Park (maybe I should start planning a kumsitz in drought regions).
      There are only two Sundays left in the summer, and I hope this time
      it will work out, especially since this Sunday 8/19 begins the month
      of Elul, our greatest opportunity to come close to Hashem. See below
      for details:

      Tonight, Thursday, August 16, 8-11 PM Andy Statman is playing
      his weekly Music of the Mystics at the Greenwich Village Synagogue (I
      do not know for sure that this is on, so please call to confirm).
      The shul is located at 53 Charles St. (near W 4th St.) and can be
      reached at 212-242-6425.

      Saturday, August 18 at 6:30 PM, Chaya Lung invites all women
      to her apartment for a song-filled shalesheudos (third Shabbat meal),
      in apt 3L of the Key West building, 750 Columbus Ave, between 96 & 97
      St. No reservations necessary -- just stop by -- and tell all your
      female friends to come enjoy the good food and great singing. For
      more info contact Chaya at 212-665-4360 or chayalung@...

      Saturday night, August 18 Chaim David is making his only New
      York appearance until December: unplugged at Congregation Sha'arei
      Tefillah in Lawrence, and also featuring Divrei Torah by Rav Moshe
      Weinberger. I had the distinct honour of hanging out with Chaim
      David all summer long in the Old City of Jerusalem and even playing a
      few concerts with him around the country, and I can tell you that his
      performances are only getting better! For more info see
      http://www.room304.com/cd

      Also 8/18 at 10:30 PM, Soulfarm is playing at The Bayou, 580
      Gramatan Ave. in Mt. Vernon, NY. Just 15 minutes from NYC, The Bayou
      is renowned for its blues festivals and summer music jams. For more
      info contact the bar at 914-668-2634 or http://www.thebayouny.com and
      check out http://www.soulfarm.net

      Sunday, August 19 from 5PM to 7:30, is the kumsitz in Central
      Park led by Bill Bassman. All are invited to bring instruments to
      play, blankets or chairs to sit on, or just come and enjoy the
      singing, at the field near the entrance from CPW at 103 St. In case
      of rain, just come the following week, same time and place. For more
      info, contact Bill at BBas743713@...

      Monday, August 20 at 8PM is the first of four more Monday
      night performances of the play "Twist of Faith," featuring Avi
      Kunstler playing original songs on guitar. In this play, "the
      characters confront the spiritual choices facing us today." The
      Producers' Club, 358 W44 St (between 8th and 9th Ave.) Admission:
      $15. For info: 201-567-6664 or TwistMondays@...

      Saturday, August 25 at 11:30 PM, Soulfarm is at the Lion's
      Den, 214 Sullivan St. (btw. Bleeker and W3 St.) Please bring ID: 18+
      and $10 cover. For more info, the club can be reached at 212-634-
      0427 or http://www.cegmusic.com/lionsden.html

      Sunday, August 26 is the annual Chabad Telethon -- check your
      local TV listings for time and channel. This show, besides raising
      money for charity all over the world, is the most watched Jewish
      music program, with around 5 million viewers! I don't have the full
      list of featured musicians, but Yehuda Glantz is flying in from
      Jerusalem to perform, and for that alone it's worth tuning in: he is
      truly on the cutting edge of Jewish music with his fusion of Latin
      rhythms, Hasidic melodies, and a klezmer sound. Check out
      http://www.yehudaglantz.com

      Also 8/26 from 5PM to 7:30, is the last Central Park kumsitz
      of the summer. I will still be in Israel, but some friends of mine
      have agreed to run the show in my absence. All are invited to bring
      instruments to play, blankets or chairs to sit on, or just come and
      enjoy the singing, at the field near the entrance from CPW at 103 St.

      Also 8/26 is Jewish Heritage Day at Shea Stadium: the Mets
      are playing the Giants that night, but the main attraction is before
      they even throw the first pitch: there will be a live Jewish music
      concert featuring Ira Heller before the game begins. For more info
      call 800-779-3323 or check out http://www.iraheller.com

      Thursday, August 30 at 10:30 PM the Moshav Band is playing at
      the Lion's Den, 214 Sullivan St. (btw. Bleeker and W3 St.)
      Please
      bring ID: 18+ and $10 cover. For more info, the club can be reached
      at 212-634-0427 or http://www.cegmusic.com/lionsden.html

      If you don't have plans yet for Labour Day Weekend, you can
      still get in on the Isralight Spiritual Retreat in Upstate NY
      starting August 28: they're currently at 90% capacity, so reserve
      asap. It's an educational program like no other: Isralight believes
      in a holistic Jewish experience, through text-based learning, fun
      activities, social interaction, and of course lots of music: there is
      a nightly campfire kumsitz and the Shabbos ruach is indescribable --
      you have to experience it for yourself. I spent the summer at
      Isralight in Jerusalem in a teacher training program with a bunch of
      really talented peers, and we'll all be coming on the retreat, so you
      can expect some really awesome energy. For more info, email me (just
      or see http://www.isralight.org

      We are approaching the Jewish month of Elul, which begins
      this Sunday night and ushers in the period of Return for the Jewish
      People. It's a time when we can examine our actions of the past year
      and think how we can improve. It's also the 30 day countdown until
      Rosh Hashana so that before the Days of Judgement we can get
      forgiveness from those whom we have wronged. But it's also the month
      when G-d is most accessible to us, when His love for us is most
      apparent: the Hebrew word Elul is actually an acrostic for the verse
      from Shir HaShirim: "Ani L'Dodi V'Dodi Li" -- "I am to my Beloved and
      my Beloved is to me" -- during this month we relate to G-d on the
      highest level of drawing close. Our rituals reflect this new status:
      Sephardim begin saying the selichos prayer and Ashkenazim blow the
      shofar every morning after davening. I wish you much success in your
      spiritual journeys and hope they bring you closer to the Ultimate
      Goodness.