Kumsitz in the Park rained out; Remez gig TONIGHT!

  • houpt@ymail.yu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2000
      Dear Friends,

      This past Monday was the twelfth kumsitz I've planned in
      Central Park, and the first one I've had to cancel. Well, I didn't
      exacly cancel it -- I was there playing my guitar in the pouring
      rain, but the only ones listening were some squirrels, a family of
      ducks, and maybe a couple of turtles. But they seemed to enjoy it!
      Anyway, I don't know if we can get in one more kumsitz in the park
      before the end of the summer, but I'm looking for indoor locations
      for the coming months so stay tuned!

      I'm going to be in Mobile, Alabama the next week or two for
      work, and I won't be sending another update for a while. So I'm
      including a few weeks worth of listing Jewish Music Events to carry
      you over until I come back:

      Tonight, Thursday September 7, my band Remez will be playing
      at the Hunter College Hillel Cafe from 7:30 to 9:30 PM. The show is
      open to COLLEGE STUDENTS ONLY, from any school. The cafe will be at
      the Hillel House, Thomas Hunter Hall room 311 (third floor), located
      on the West side of Lexington Ave between 68 St and 69 St. For more
      info, call Greg at 212-650-3568.

      Also tonight, and every Thursday through September 21, Andy
      Statman is playing his weekly stint at the Grenwich Village Synagogue,
      with Music of the Mystics 8-11 PM. He is renowned as a master of
      clarinet and mandolin, and his band plays a great mix of klezmer,
      Chassidic, and original Jewish melodies. The shul is located at 53
      Charles St. (near W 4th St.) and can be reached at 212-242-6425.
      Admission is $10 (student discounts available) which includes free
      refreshments. This is an incredible program -- make sure to catch it
      before it's too late!!

      Tomorrow night, Friday September 10, is the grand reopening
      of the Old Broadway Shul, located on the Upper Upper Upper West Side
      (just north of 125 St, east of Broadway). Davening starts at 7:08
      PM -- it's a tremendous mitzvah to help revitalize this shul that's
      been around for so long -- come make a minyan and help with the
      singing! For more info, contact Aaron Tarfman at bikephoto@...

      Saturday night, September 9, Congregation Ohab Zedek is
      having a Jerusalem Soul Concert at 9:30 PM. The band (Binyomin
      Ginzberg, Mo Shapiro, Stephanie Kurtzman, and others) explores the
      music of many of the Old City's artists including the Diaspora
      Yeshiva Band, Chaim David Saracik, Yosef Karduner, and Yitzchak
      Attias. The shul is located in Manhattan at 118 West 95th St.
      between Amsterdam and Columbus, and admission is $10 for members and
      $15 otherwise. For more info check out http://www.rokasoft.com/oz or
      call Rabbi Naftali Cohen at 212-749-5150.

      Sunday night, September 10, there's a concert in Rego Park at
      the Halsey Junior High School, 64th Ave and 102 St. Moshe Shur is
      singing in the Shlomo Carlbach style at the Steve Lerner Memorial
      Concert, dedicated to the memory of a young leader of the
      community. Tickets are $20 ($12 for kids) -- call Zack Berman at

      Tuesday, September 12, The Moshav Band is playing at the
      Queens College Hillel at 7:30 PM. A $10 donation is requested at the
      door. For more information or directions, call Ami at the Queens
      College Hillel 718-793-2222.

      Wednesday, September 13, at 9:30 PM, Matt Turk is playing at
      CBGB, 315 Bowery, between 1st and 2nd Streets, at the beginning of
      Bleeker St. Call the club at 212-982-4052 for more info.

      Friday, September 15, Congregation Kehilath Jeshurun is
      hosting a special service with lots of singing followed by
      dinner: "Turn Friday Night into Shabbos." Program begins at 7PM;
      reservations for dinner $20) should be made by 9/12 at the shul, 125
      E 85 St. 212-427-1000.

      Thursday, September 21 at 9:30 PM, Metropolitan Klezmer is
      playing at Makor, 35 W. 67th St. between Central Park West and
      Columbus Ave. There is kosher Mediterranean food available, from 6PM,
      but you should check first (especially the wine). For more info,
      call 212-601-1000 or check out http://www.metropolitanklezmer.com
      IMPORTANT NOTE: the issue of Kol Isha may be applicable here!

      Saturday night, Sept 23 9:30 PM there will be a special
      concert at the Carlebach Shul: Shimon Kugel singing the sweet songs
      of Shlomo, followed by Selichot service led by Rabbi Intrator at
      12:30 AM. Members: $12 Non-Members: $15. The shul is located at
      305 W 79 St. between West End and Riverside and can be reached at
      212-580-2391 or the info-line 212-721-SHUL or at carlebachshul@j...

      As we rapidly fly through the month Ellul, Rosh Hashana is
      right around the corner. Hopefully all the great music will inspire
      us to listen to our souls, crying out to attain perpetually higher
      levels of holiness. Please send me feedback at houpt@...:
      questions, suggestions, events I may have missed. I may not have
      time to reply each time, but I read every email that I receive, and
      your great comments is what keeps me going at 5:30 in the morning to
      send this stuff out!Have a spiritually uplifting Shabbos and I hope
      to see you soon.