Jewish Music for Yom Ha'atzmaut

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2001
      Dear Friends,

      We are now in the midst of the annual mourning period of the
      sefira (for details see the last email at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/message/33). Therefore
      I'm not going to be listing live Jewish music events for the next few
      weeks, with a couple of exceptions. According to many authorities,
      it is permissible to attend an event featuring acappella singing, as
      long as there are no musical instruments. Also, this Wednesday night
      (and Thursday) is Yom Ha'atzmaut, Israel Independence Day, considered
      by many to be a sufficiently happy day to override the mourning, so
      the music prohibitions don't apply according to these opinions. I'm
      going to list these events, but you should follow your own custom or
      consult a halachik source:

      Today, Sunday, April 22, this week's Klezmer Brunch at Tonic
      features Vocolot, an all-women acappella ensemble (from San
      Francisco) performing original music with universal heart, Jewish
      soul, and social conscience. There are two sets, at 1:30 PM and 3PM,
      and the cost is $10 each or $15 for both. The bar is located above
      the former Kedem winery at 107 Norfolk Street (between Rivington and
      Delancey) and can be reached at 212-358-7503 or
      http://www.tonic107.com !PLEASE NOTE: The food at Tonic is not
      strictly kosher, and the issue of Kol Isha may be applicable: consult
      your local Rabbinic authority! Also see
      http://www.sirius.com/~vocolot

      Tonight, 4/22 at 7PM, there will be a performance by Ani
      V'Ata, the Jewish acappella group at NYU. The Spring Concert is at
      The Bronfman Center, 7 E10 St, between 5th Ave and University Place.
      All are welcome for great singing and free dessert. For more info,
      see http://homepages.nyu.edu/~dlb245 !PLEASE NOTE: the issue of Kol
      Isha may be applicable: consult your local Rabbinic authority!

      Wednesday, April 25 at 7:30 PM, I am pleased to announce the
      debut of my friends' band "Chopped Liver," consisting of Gershon
      Statdmauer, Koby Frances, and Ely Pinto. The Yom Ha'atzmaut event is
      in Washington Heights at the Mount Sinai Jewish Center, 135 Bennett
      Ave, at 187 St. In addition to the great music, the program also
      features refreshments and a shiur from Rabbi Shmuely Marcus on the
      topic of Shmitah. For more info call the shul at 212-568-1900

      Also 4/25 at 7:30 PM, celebrate Yom Ha'atzmaut at Lincoln
      Square Synagogue 200 Amsterdam Ave, at 69 St. Co-sponsored by The
      Jewish Center & OZ, there will be special services, live music, and
      Israeli food will be available for purchase. For more info, call the
      shul at 212-874-6100 or see http://www.lss.org

      Also 4/25 if you're in Riverdale goto the monument at 239 St
      for a special memorial ceremony at 6:15. This is followed at 7:30 PM
      by a free Yom Ha'atzmaut celebration at the Hebrew Institute of
      Riverdale, 3700 HH Parkway, featuring the incredible Piamenta. For
      more info, call the shul at 718-796-4730 or see http://www.hir.org
      and http://www.piamenta.com

      Also 4/25 Shloime Dachs will be doing an accapella
      performance on the Intrepid for the Hebron Fund Dinner. For more
      info, see http://www.shloimedachs.com

      Thursday, April 26 my band Remez will be playing a chagiga at
      the Frisch School in honour of Yom Ha'atzmaut. For more info on the
      band, check out our websites (they're still under construction, but
      tell me which format you like better) at: http://remez.org and
      http://remezmusic.com

      Also 4/26 at 5:30 PM, join the Lincoln Square Synagogue
      Kollel for a Yom Ha'atzmaut Celebration at a barbecue with music
      and
      entertainment in the MDS backyard, 310 W 175 St. Cost is $5 per
      person. For reservations and more info call the shul at 212-874-6100
      or see http://www.lss.org

      Also 4/26 at 8PM, celebrate Israel Independance Day at Makor
      with Israeli singer Alon Oleartchik in concert, co-sponsored with the
      New Israel Fund. Makor is located at 35 W 67 St and can be reached
      at 212-601-1000 or http://www.makor.org

      Also 4/26 at 6PM Reality Shock will be on the radio: tune
      into "Restore By The Shore" with Maureen Nevin on WYGG 88.1 FM in
      Asbury Park, NJ. For more info on the band, see
      http://members.dencity.com/Isser/RS.html

      Friday evening, April 27 I will be leading the davening at
      Congregation Ramat Orah, 550 W110 St (between Broadway and
      Amsterdam). It is a tremendous honour for me to be the chazan there
      every few weeks, since the entire congregation is very inspiring with
      all the energy and singing. For more info, call the shul at 212-222-
      2470

      Also 4/27 there will be an acappella perfromance at the Kraft
      Center at Columbia University, 606 West 115 St. featuring the Jewish
      groups Ani V'Ata from NYU and Ki Tov of Columbia. For more info see
      http://homepages.nyu.edu/~dlb245/

      Saturday afternoon, April 28 Chaya Lung is organizing a
      shalesheudos (third Shabbat meal) for women only with lots of
      singing. Location will be at an apartment on the Upper West Side,
      and there is no cost so feel free to stop by and tell your female
      friends. For more details, contact Chaya at 212-665-4360 or
      chayalung@...

      This week we commemorate 53 years of Israel Independence on
      Wednesday night, but the day before that comes Yom Hazikaron, the
      memorial day for all the soldiers who have died defending our Jewish
      State. The juxtopisition of these two days is no accident: we
      recognize the importance of having autonomy in our homeland and every
      year we celebrate how with G-d's help we've built up the tiny country
      into a world power. But this success comes at great cost, and we
      appropriately choose the preceeding day to remember all who have
      given their lives so the Jewish people can live in scurity.
      Unfourtunately, we have not yet reached the ideal of harmonious
      existence, and people are still being killed in the fight for peace.
      This year more than ever, let us join together to remember those who
      continue to live and die for us in Israel. May this be the last year
      of strife for the Jewish people and next year may we all celebrate
      together in the Rebuilt Jerusalem.

      Gili Houpt
    • gilhoupt
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 16, 2002

        It's not just that I've been so busy with my personal life
        that I haven't sent a Jewish music update in almost a month
        (although that might have something to do with it: getting married
        and moving to a new apartment is a lot to do all at once). The
        other reason is that this time period in the Jewish calendar is set
        aside for national mourning and many observe it by not going to
        concerts during these weeks. For more information about the origins
        of this custom and different ways of observing it, see my website:

        However, tonight Tuesday 4/16, is Yom Ha'atzmaut, Israel
        Independence Day, and the celebration overrides the mourning period
        so we can have live music. Isralight and Livnot-Alumot are joining
        together with other organizations to have a big kumsitz, featuring
        Rav Binny Freedman with songs and stories, accompanied by the Pey
        Dalid band. Doors open 7pm; program begins at 7:30 with a memorial
        for Yom Hazikaron. Location: WSIS, 120 W76 St, between Amsterdam &
        Columbus. Cost: $12 (includes dinner catered by Darna). For more
        info: call 212-695-4877 and see http://peydalid.com

        Also tonight 4/16 8-10:30pm Manhattan Jewish Experience is
        having an Israel Boat Cruise Party for Jewish professionals in their
        20s and 30s on the New York Harbor, featuring live jazz music by
        Jason Caplan Quartet, and a special appearance by Seth Nadel from
        Remez. Cost: $25 in advance; $30 at the boat (a percentage goes to
        Israeli victims of terror). Pier 40: West Houston and West Side
        Highway -- arrive at the boat between 7:15 and 7:45. More info:
        call 212.787.9533

        Also tonight 4/16 7:30pm Congregation Ohab Zedek joins with
        five area synagogues to celebrate Israel Memorial/Independence Day,
        featuring topical speeches, special prayers, and a musical
        performance by Arnie Singer. Please bring care packages to be sent
        to Israeli soldiers. OZ is at 118 W95 St between Amsterdam &
        Columbus and can be reached at 212-749-5150

        After the celebrations of tonight and tomorrow we return to
        the state of mourning and don't go to concerts again until Lag
        B'Omer, which falls out on April 30 this year, so I'll continue the
        music updates then. Following are some of my thoughts as I was
        preparing this late last night:

        I write this while on the bus heading home from the Israel
        Solidarity Rally in Washington DC. After sitting for over twelve
        grueling hours on a bus with 49 angry, sweaty New Yorkers and no air-
        conditioning, I ask myself if it was really worth it: all that time
        invested for the benefit of one hour spent running around in the hot
        sun trying to keep my group together, fenced in with tens of
        thousands of other people, too far away to even hear the speeches.
        After some thought I answer (because nobody else does when I'm
        talking to myself) that no matter what minor hardships I endured, it
        doesn't compare to what Israelis face every day, and I was able to
        stand up and be counted to tell them unequivocally, "I support
        you!" I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to take part in this
        history-making event.
        But these once-in-a-lifetime chances don't happen every
        day. How can we make a difference on a regular basis? How can we
        turn pain into power in what seems like a hopeless situation? Is
        there a spiritual solution? This year's Isralight Spring Spiritual
        Retreat is devoted to the theme of Israel Solidarity while engaging
        in personal spiritual renewal. May 8-12 join with Jews of all ages
        and from all backgrounds at Club Getaway in the Berkshires for the
        first ever Solidarity Retreat, featuring inspirational classes and
        programs. Plus all the usual reasons to come to an Isralight
        Retreat: outdoor activities, gourmet food, lots of great people, and
        best of all non-stop music (I'll be there with all my instruments
        for a kumsitz at the nightly campfire). For more info call 646-325-
        7465 (64-meals-holy) and see the website
        http://www.isralight.org/retreat.htm

        Happy Israel Independence Day!