Jewish music for Shavuot

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2008

      The holiday of Shavuot is nearly upon us. On Shavuot, the Jewish
      people encountered G-d in a way never before in human history. Shavuot
      is a great time to get inspired with Jewish music and art to help us
      prepare for receiving the Torah. Here are some events going on in the
      NY/NJ area.

      ----- Friday-Saturday, June 6-7
      Pre-Shavuos Shabbos program in NJ at the Carlebach Minyan of Passaic/Clifton: Friday night davening led by Gili Houpt @7pm with special guest speaker Rabbi Avraham "Zimmy" Zimberg, at the home of the Rothenberg family, 370 Pennington Ave.
      Seudah Shlishit around 7pm, at 21 Randolph St, followed by Maariv and a mucial Havdalah with Zimmy and Reb Gili
      To get more information or join the email list, call 973-773-8286 or see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carlebachpassaic

      ----- Wednesday, June 11
      Rainbow Gathering Jerusalem Camp Benefit Show
      Don Hills, 511 Greenwich St., on the corner of Spring St.
      Only $10!
      21 and up
      Doors open at 7 pm, show goes all night
      Performers: Y Love, Yoshi Fruchter's Pitom, Rav Shmuel, Nehedar, Blanket Statementstein, Aliza Hava, and DJ Handler.
      Contact Jacob Fine at 212 920 6988 or jacob.fine@...
      ***SEE BELOW

      ---June 25th Wednesday night
      Jewish Co-ed a cappella group "Avir" which specializes in Israeli and
      traditional Jewish music.
      Cost: $10
      Where: JCC of Manhattan 334 Amsterdam Ave.
      Contact info: 917 359 0018
      ***SEE BELOW

      ---July 7th
      Simply Tsfat will be playing in Long Beach, NY on the Boardwalk
      Absolutely free!

      ***All of these marked with the asterisk Kol Isha may apply. Please
      consult your local orthodox rabbi for more information.

      Shavuot is a special time for the Jewish People; the time of
      acceptance of the Torah. The Torah has become a primary medium through
      which we develop a connection to G-d. It is said by many of the
      Chassidic masters that when we pray we go up and talk to G-d, but when
      we learn Torah G-d comes down and talks to us. This means that through
      the Torah G-d communicates what He desires for us to do in order to
      develop a closer relationship with Him. May we all use the gift of
      Shavuot to enable us to get closer to Him.

      Have a Shabbat Shalom and Chag Sameach,

      Yisroel