Jewish Music for Shavuos

    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2007
      Dear Friends,

      Our first Central Park kumsitz of the season was almost rained out this past Sunday, but then the sky cleared and we managed to get in a few songs before nightfall. So let's try it again this coming Sunday, May 27, and pray for good weather. We should be filled with song and inspiration by then after Shavuos! See below for full info.

      ------- TUESDAY, MAY 22
      Tonight we celebrate the holiday of Shavuos, commemorating the Divine gift of the Torah of the Torah to the Jewish people. Some have the custom to stay up all night learning, and there are special programs all over the city with Torah classes all night. Wherever you may be, check out your local shul and become a part of accepting your mission to perfect the world.

      9pm I'll be leading the evening services with some special tunes for Shavuos, at Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St. There will be classes all night starting at 11pm on various topics - I'm giving the first one on "What Really Happened at Mount Sinai 3319 Years Ago." More info: 212-222-2470 http://www.ramathorah.org

      10:15pm-midnight Neshama Carlebach will be leading a learning session for Shavuot, followed by singing. At Stephen Wise Free Synagogue, 30 West 68th St. Info: 212-877-4050 or http://neshamacarlebach.com
      *NOTE: See Below

      ------- WEDNESDAY-THURSDAY, MAY 23-24
      9:15am I'll be leading the davening with lots of singing, and sharing some words of Torah, at the Old Broadway Synagogue in Harlem, 15 Old Broadway, half-block east of Broadway between 125 & 126 St. Hot kiddush (light lunch) following davening both days. For more info: 212-662-9767 http://www.geocities.com/oldbroadway_shul

      ------- FRIDAY, MAY 25
      7:30pm the weekly Shabbat Oasis: every Friday night leave the frenetic pace of the week behind, and enter a space of tranquility and warmth: Zohar study with Rabbi Dovber Pinson, niggunim (mystical song), kabbalat shabbat service, kiddush, wine and pastries. Free of charge and open to all. At Iyyun Center for Jewish Enrichment, 316 Bergen St, Brooklyn: btwn 3rd and 4th Ave. Info: 718-393-8506 http://iyyun.com

      ------- SUNDAY, MAY 27
      5:30-7:30pm my musical kumsitz in Central Park! Enter the park from Central Park West at W96 St and turn right (or at W93 and turn left), and look for us between CPW and the Park Drive. Bring along any musical instruments and blankets to sit on (and if you want, some kosher snacks or drinks to share). If you have any questions send me an email (rebgili@... or just reply to this message), or call me on Sunday if it looks like rain to find out if we're still on: 646-706-3076

      7PM Concert for the Spiritual JERNE with Oneg Shemesh and the Vermont Chevreh. In Montpelier, Vermont: 23 Loomis St. Info: call Rabbanit Tobie Weisman at 802-223-0583 or http://onegshemesh.com

      ------- MONDAY, MAY 28
      8:45-10:30PM weekly Jewish bluegrass concert with Andy Statman, world renowned master on both clarinet and mandolin, at the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes refreshments). More info: 212-242-6425 http://andystatman.org

      ------- THURSDAY, MAY 31
      8:45-10:30PM Andy Statman plays his weekly Music of the Mystics concert: klezmer with some toe-tapping bluegrass thrown in, on both clarinet and mandolin, At the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes refreshments). More info: 212-242-6425 http://andystatman.org

      ------- FRIDAY, JUNE 1
      Early bird deadline for HALF PRICE ($40) High Holiday Seats for Carlebach Teaneck, the most inspired all-Carlebach davening, with special guest speaker and professionally supervised CHILDCARE. Lodging and meals available. In Teaneck, NJ: 650 American Legion Dr. Also reserve early for discounted admission of $5 to SELICHOS CONCERT on Sept 8, followed by selichos. Call 201-708-6629 or see http://carlebachteaneck.com

      ------- SATURDAY, JUNE 2
      9:30pm Simply Tsfat kicks off their East Coast tour in Short Hills, NJ: Chai Center, 1 Jefferson Ave. Contact: Rabbi Bogomilsky at 973-379-3151 http://simplytsfat.com

      If you're in Chicago, check out Ruby Harris, one of the founders of Jewish Rock, at the monthly Jewish Music Concert Series at the Young Israel of West Rogers Park, 2706 W. Touhy Ave. Info: 773-743-9400 http://rubyharrismusic.com

      ------- SUNDAY, JUNE 3
      2pm Simply Tsfat in Glastonbury, CT: Chabad Jewish Center, 25 Harris St. Contact: Rabbi Wolvovsky at 860-659-2422 http://simplytsfat.com

      7pm Maggid's Medley Storytelling Festival at Congregation B'nai Avraham in Brooklyn Heights: 117 Remsen St, between Clinton & Henry St (subway: 2/3, 4/5 to Borough Hall or N/R to Court St.) Storyteller and author Yitzhak Buxbaum leads ten great Jewish spiritual storytellers in sharing tales from the deepest depths. Live music. Cost: $5 (includes refreshments). For more info: 347-245-0606 or http://www.jewishspirit.com

      ------- MONDAY, JUNE 4
      6:30pm Simply Tsfat in Far Rockaway, NY: 508 Hicksville, between Reads Lane & Beach 6th St. Contact: Ike Tannenbaum at (516)807-3103 http://simplytsfat.com

      ------- WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6
      7PM Tantshoyz (Yiddish Dance House) Dance Party/Workshop at the JCC in Manhattan, 334 Amsterdam Ave @W76 St. Live klezmer music by some of New York's hottest musicians. Cost: $10 at the door. Info: contact Pete Rushefsky at 917-326-9659 or prushefsky@... http://ctmd.org
      *NOTE: See Below

      ------- THURSDAY, JUNE 7
      7:30pm Simply Tsfat in Belle Harbor, Queens: Congregation Ohab Zedek, 134-01 Rockaway Beach Blvd. Ccontact: Rabbi Tomsky (203) 530-1700 http://simplytsfat.com

      ------- FRIDAY-SATURDAY, JUNE 8-9
      Simply Tsfat Shabbaton at The Young Israel of Long Beach, 120 Long Beach Blvd. Shabbos meals at the shul, be reservation. Concert Sat night 9:30PM - tickets: $18. Info: 516-359-3645 cwakslak@... http://simplytsfat.com

      ------- FRIDAY-MONDAY, JUNE 8-11
      The Sydenham Choir from South Africa, famous for their beautiful Chazzanut, on tour in NY. Three concerts: at The Hampton Synagogue, in Montclair, NJ, and Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY. Info: 847-678-4711 http://www.sydenhamchoir.com http://boxofficetickets.com/sydenhamchoir

      ------- SUNDAY, JUNE 10
      5:30 Simply Tsfat in concert & BBQ at Chabad Lubavitch of Staten Island, 289 Harold St, corner of Bradley Ave. Contact: Rabbi Katzman @ 718-370-8953 http://simplytsfat.com

      ------- MONDAY, JUNE 11
      Shlomo Katz Concert in Passaic: looking for a house/basement to host this event for about 50 ppl (men and women). If you are interested in hosting contact Lisa at 917-543-3575 or lmechanick@...

      ------- TUESDAY, JUNE 12
      7-11pm JICNY's Passport to the World Gala event at the Prince George Ballroom, 15 E27 St, between Fifth and Madison Aves. The indoor street fair will feature the sounds, tastes and entertainment from some of the world's most exciting and exotic cities at the indoor street fair. Play Moroccan drums, sip a French champagne cocktail, enjoy surprise performances from all over the world. Price: $140 ($160.00 afer June 5) http://jicny.com

      Have a great Shavuos!

      Gili Houpt

      *NOTE: For all the above events so noted, the issue of Kol Isha may
      apply; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more info, and see
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/links/k_001127134606