Kumsitz this Saturday night!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2001

      Now that Chanukah is over and we're all tired out from
      celebrating someone else's new year, there aren't as many Jewish
      Music Events going on in the New York area. But there are still a
      few great things to choose from:

      Tomorrow night, Thursday January 4, Andy Statman is playing
      his weekly Music of the Mystics at the Greenwich Village Synagogue
      from 8-11 PM. Andy is renowned as a master of clarinet and mandolin,
      playing a great mix of klezmer, Chassidic, and original Jewish
      melodies. The shul is located at 53 Charles St. (near W 4th St.) and
      can be reached at 212-242-6425. Suggested donation is $10 (students
      $7) which includes free refreshments. Tomorrow night's show features
      a trio with bass, drum, and Andy on clarinet.

      Also Thursday 1/4 for those of you looking for a real Jewish
      punk band, you're in luck! Yidcore, on tour from Australia, is
      playing the Loop Lounge in Passaic, New Jersey at 12:00 Midnight.
      This is not for the faint of heart! The punk club is located at 373
      Broadway and can be reached at 973-365-0807. Admission is $5. To
      find out more about the band and their other New York dates before
      they head back to Australia, send email to yidcore@...

      Friday evening, January 5, come to Ramat Orah for a davening
      with lots of singing. I have the honour of being the chazzan this
      week, and I will do my best to lead everyone from the depths of
      fasting into the joys of Shabbos (Friday is the 10th of Teves, one of
      the four days in the Jewish calendar when we fast to mourn the
      destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem). Minchah begins at 4:20 PM
      followed by Kaballas Shabbos at around 4:45. Don't worry -- I won't
      drag it on too long since I know people will be hungry!

      Saturday night, January 6, I am making another kumsitz on the
      Upper West Side. This is an opportunity for people to come together
      and sing, play musical instruments, and just chill out on a Saturday
      night, and it's free!!! So bring your friends and your voices to the
      Columbia building, 275 W96 (corner of Broadway) apt 5E (home of
      Steven Alevy). I'll be there with some of my band, Remez, and other
      musicians are invited to bring their instruments. We are also
      celebrating the recent marriage of my good friend Eric Safern to Judy
      Tashbook earlier this week in Israel, and they're coming all the way
      back to NY just to join us at the kumsitz! Any questions: call me at
      212-531-3949 or reply to this email.

      Wednesday evening, January 10, Andy Statman will perform in a
      brief set with Itzhak Perlman as part of an evening of serious fun,
      for the benefit of the Shoah foundation. E-mail for details:
      ckafka@... or check out the webpage
      http://www.citizenkafka.com/andy/

      Thursday, January 11, Andy Statman is playing his weekly
      Music of the Mystics at the Greenwich Village Synagogue from 8-11
      PM. Andy is renowned as a master of clarinet and mandolin, playing a
      great mix of klezmer, Chassidic, and original Jewish melodies. The
      shul is located at 53 Charles St. (near W 4th St.) and can be reached
      at 212-242-6425. Suggested donation is $10 (students $7) which
      includes free refreshments.

      Friday, January 12 to Saturday, January 13, the Winter Oasis
      Shabbaton with Rav Binny Freedman and Isralight at Congregation
      Kehilath Jeshurun, 125 E85 St. $60 per person includes 2.5 meals and
      classes, programs and hospitality. But you haveto be registered
      before Thursday, January 8. Call the Isralight office at 212-695-
      4877 or check out http://www.isralight.org/

      Saturday night, January 13 at 8PM, Rav Binny
      Freedman, "Master storyteller and talented musician," will be leading
      a kumsitz at Congregation Kehilath Jeshurun, 125 E85 St. Admission
      is $12 at the door. *Musicians: bring your instruments to jam with
      us!

      Also Saturday night 1/13, Shmulik Ackerman is performing at
      the Bnai Zion Foundation, 136 E39 St (at Lexington Ave). For more
      information, call 212-725-1211 or check out http://bnaizion.com/

      Sunday, January 14, this week's Tonic Klezmer Brunch features
      Hasidic Melodies, with Michael Alpert, Sruli Dresdner & Lisa Mayer.
      The bar is located above the former Kedem winery at 107 Norfolk
      Street (between Rivington and Delancey) and can be reached at 212-358-
      7503 or www.tonic107.com for more info. There are two sets, at 1:30
      PM and 3PM, and the cost is $10 each or $15 for both. !!!IMPORTANT
      NOTE: the issue of Kol Isha may be applicable here: consult your
      local Rabbinic authority!!!

      Monday, January 15, Yehuda Glantz is on tour from Israel,
      performing at Lincoln Square Synagogue, 200 Amsterdam Ave (@ 70 St).
      The shul can be reached at 212-874-6100 or http://www.lss.org/ and
      for more information on the musician, send email to
      jmn@... or check out http://www.yehudaglantz.com

      Thursday January 18 at 8:30 PM, Matt Turk is playing at the
      Wetlands, 161 Hudson St. Admission is $10 in advance and $12 at the
      door. The club can be reached at 212-386-3600 or http://www.wetlands-
      preserve.org/ and check out http://www.turktunes.com

      Also Thursday, 1/18, Andy Statman is playing his weekly Music
      of the Mystics at the Greenwich Village Synagogue from 8-11 PM. Andy
      is renowned as a master of clarinet and mandolin, playing a great mix
      of klezmer, Chassidic, and original Jewish melodies. The shul is
      located at 53 Charles St. (near W 4th St.) and can be reached at 212-
      242-6425. Suggested donation is $10 (students $7) which includes
      free refreshments.

      Saturday January 20, at 8:30 PM Soulfarm (formerly Inasense)
      is playing two rockin' sets at Makor, 35 W 67 St. For more info,
      call 212-601-1000 or check out http://www.makor.org and
      http://www.soulfarm.net/

      Also Saturday night 1/20 Neshama Carlebach is performing a
      concert at Bnai Jeshurun Temple, 270 W89 St. The Arts and Culture
      Committee is pleased to present music of heart, spirit and soul with
      Neshama Carlebach and Friends. Her musical 'soul' comes from the
      heart and the voice of her father - Reb Shlomo Carlebach - as she
      describes him, "my best friend, teacher and Rebbe." Tickets can be
      purchased in advance for $20 at West Side Judaica (2412 Broadway,
      between 88 & 89 St, 212-362-7846) or at the door for $30. For more
      info, call the shul at 212-787-7600 or check out
      http://www.neshamacarlebach.com/ !!!IMPORTANT NOTE: the issue of Kol
      Isha may be applicable here: consult your local Rabbinic authority!!!

      Looking ahead: Thursday, February 1 at 7:30 PM, Piamenta
      concert with an appearance by my band, Remez! It's the fourth annual
      yud shevat concert at Yeshiva University, and the cost is $15. For
      ticket info call Moshe at 646-528-0890 or email
      Chabadconcert@...

      As we stand at the dawn of this new "millennium," even though
      it's an arbitrary date and historically inaccurate for its supposed
      significance, we can't help but wonder how we stack up against all
      those generation that preceded us. Are we really so much more
      civilized in these modern times? For every new song I compose I
      think about how many people are still living in a state of poverty or
      war and don't have the luxury to even listen to music. This Friday
      is a Jewish day of fasting, to remind us that there is still
      suffering in the world for which we are not totally blameless. We
      must learn to stop pointing fingers at everyone else and concentrate
      on self-improvement, for if we truly merited Redemption then all
      fighting would end and we would all coexist peacefully. I pray that
      this be our final fast day and that all our future pain be
      transformed to joy.

      Hope to see you Saturday night,