Music after Tisha b'Av

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2006
      Dear Friends,

      Now that the period of the Three Weeks is over we can get back to the
      music. It's a great way to come together during this time of crisis
      for Jews everywhere, and demonstrate our unity to the world, to
      ourselves and to our Creator. In the merit of our spirit of
      brotherhood, may the Holy One protect us from our enemies and usher
      in the era of Peace, may it be soon in our days!

      ------- FRIDAY, AUGUST 4
      6:20pm If you're in Queens for Shabbos, I'll be leading the early
      davening, with a little bit of singing - we have to finish by 7:20 to
      make room for the next minyan! At Congregation Ahavas Yisroel, 147-
      02 73rd Ave, in Kew Gardens Hills, to kick off the Beyond BT
      Shabbaton. http://beyondbt.com

      ------- SATURDAY, AUGUST 5
      9:30-11pm Melave Malka in Kew Gardens Hills: I'll be playing guitar
      along with the Beyond BT Jam Band (in formation) at Congregation
      Ahavas Yisroel, 147-02 73rd Ave. Free of charge, and all are welcome
      to attend. http://beyondbt.com

      10:15-11:30pm sharp: Shabbos Nachamu Concert in the City, featuring C
      Lanzbom and Noah Solomon of Soulfarm, at The Carlebach Shul, 305 West
      79 St @West End Ave. Come out and unite for Israel! Tickets: $15 at
      the door. Contact info: gutstrings@... or 845-362-8063
      http://soulfarm.net

      9:30pm Melave Malka Mystical Musical Night with Rav Uri Topolosky, at
      the Hebrew Institute of Riverdale, 3700 Henry Hudson Pkwy. With music
      and words of inspiration under candlelight, celebrate Shabbat
      Nachamu - the Shabbat of Comfort. At this critical time in our
      history come together as a community to sing and share what's on our
      hearts. Sponsorships welcome. Food will be served. Admission free,
      but please bring along your own instruments, your voices, or just
      yourselves, and join in the beautiful energy of this soulful
      evening. More info: 718-796-4730 http://hir.org/uri.html

      Sam E. Minzer and New Beginngs present the ultimate Shabbos Nachamu
      Weekend for singles, at the Somerset Marriot, just 40 minutes from
      NYC. Live in Concert: Avraham Fried and Blue Fringe. Call 800-720-
      7916 or http://newbeginningsfoundations.org

      ------- SUNDAY, AUGUST 6
      7pm BarBQ in the heart of Manhattan at the West Side Jewish Center,
      347 W 34th St. Great food, live music, and an all around fun summer
      evening. Cost: $15 with advance registration or $20 at the door.
      Info: 212-502-5291 http://westsidejewishcenter.org

      11pm Hasid meets Hipster presents "Shul of Rock" for a Sun nite Rock
      + Roll "nachamu" treat, featuring: the NY Howl, Deep Sound Diver, the
      Wahoo Skiffle Crazies, Hazel St. Vincent, Turner Cody, the Wowz and
      more. Tea, coffee, booze. FREE! At The Lucky Cat, 245 Grand St
      (between Driggs & Roebling) in Williamsburg (L to Bedford Ave or G to
      Metropolitan Ave). Info: 718-782-0437 or seth@...
      http://theluckycat.com

      ------- MONDAY, AUGUST 7
      8:30-10:30PM weekly Jewish bluegrass concert with Andy Statman, world
      renowned master on both clarinet and mandolin, At the Greenwich
      Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St. Suggested donation: $10
      (includes refreshments). Info: 212-242-6425 http://andystatman.org

      ------- TUESDAY, AUGUST 8
      6-9:30pm Moonlight Cruise with Yiddishkeit, featuring Jeff Neckenoff,
      the new Jewish music sensation, and Marc Garfinkel, the most
      mysterious and original mentalist. From Point Lookout on Long
      Island. Cost: $45 (includes buffet dinner & kosher champagne).
      Don't miss the boat! Call Chabad of Mineola: 516-739-3636
      http://chabadmineola.com

      ------- WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 9
      7:15-10:30pm The Dor Chadash Tu B'Av Love Cruise: Israelis and
      American Jews express love for Israel in a social gathering
      celebrating the Jewish holiday of love. Great music by DJ Van Jee,
      buffet dinner, live entertainment and the magnificent skyline of New
      York. benefiting the Friends of the IDF: $36 online; $48 at the
      pier - the past two boat trips sold out in advance! Leaving from
      World Yacht Marina at Pier 81, W41 St & 12th Ave. Info: 212-696-2151
      http://dorchadashusa.org

      7pm Yiddishfest 2006 Long Island: free concert featuring The Three
      Yiddish Divas, Golem and musical director Zalmen Mlotek. In the town
      of North Hempstead: Clark Botanic Garden, 193 I.U.Willets Rd,
      Albertson. Bring blanket or chairs. Rain location: Wantagh Jewish
      Center, 3710 Woodbine Ave. Info: 212-889-6800 x271 or
      http://circle.org
      *NOTE: See Below

      ------- THURSDAY, AUGUST 10
      8:30-10:30PM Andy Statman's weekly Music of the Mystics concert:
      klezmer with some toe-tapping bluegrass thrown in, on both clarinet
      and mandolin, At the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near
      W4 St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes refreshments). Call first to
      confirm the show is on: 212-242-6425 http://andystatman.org

      11pm - 2am Y-Love and his live band in a FREE press performance
      before they are off to Israel to shoot a music video. At Joe's Pub,
      425 Lafayette St. Y-Love (Yitz Jordan) is an MC unlike any other: a
      Bostoner chassid and among the most innovative freestylers on the
      scene, weaving seamless polyglot rhymes in English, Arabic, Yiddish,
      and Hebrew, including a revival of Aramaic! Let them know if you
      want press passes and table reservation, as space is limited:
      718.290.5372 or http://modularmoods.com

      8pm David Ross live in concert at The Bitter End, 147 Bleecker St.
      (between Thompson & LaGuardia). Info: 516-528-3129 or
      http://davidevanross.com and see my review of his album "The Power to
      Be" from a couple of months ago:

      ------- FRIDAY, AUGUST 11
      7pm Davening with lots of great singing at the Carlebach Congregation
      of Teaneck, 95 Edgemont Place, starting and ENDING on time! They'll
      drive you to mincha if you live far away. And now is the time to buy
      High Holiday seats before the price goes up $20 after Labor Day.
      Info: 201-708-6629 and http://carlebachteaneck.com

      ------- SUNDAY, AUGUST 13
      5:30-7:30pm Kumsitz (informal concert) in Central Park: enter from
      Central Park West at W93 and turn left (or at W96 St and turn right),
      and look for us between CPW and the Park Drive. Come with a musical
      instrument to play along, or just sit back and enjoy the music.
      Bring your friends and a blanket to sit on (and if you want: some
      kosher snacks or drinks to share). If it looks like rain call me on
      Sunday to make sure it's still on: 646-706-3076

      Noon-4pm Yiddish music festival at the Madison Avenue Street Fair.
      Info: 212-889-6800 x271 or http://circle.org

      ------- MONDAY, AUGUST 14
      7:30 pm Moshe Tessone and Ensemble perform lively and spirited music
      that expresses devotion to Judaism and the State of Israel, at the
      Nassau County's annual Israel-America Night at the Lakeside Theater,
      Eisenhower Park. Free event!
      tessone@...

      8pm Two great guitar players - Stephen Ulrich of cult lounge-noir
      instrumental trio Big Lazy, and Jeremiah Lockwood of the Sway
      Machinery whose style has been described as "Rockabilly meets the
      Lower East Side shtetl." Performing in Park Slope, Brooklyn: Barbes,
      376 9th St, corner of 6th Ave. More info: 718.965.9177 or
      http://barbesbrooklyn.com http://jeremiahlockwood.com

      ------- WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 16
      7:30-9:30pm Margot Leverett (from the Klezmer Mountain Boys) leads a
      Klezmer jam session at Astoria Center in Queens: 27-35 Crescent St.
      Free and open to all - musicians are welcome to join in and anyone
      can come just to listen. More info: 718-278-2680
      http://klezmermountainboys.com

      8pm Pharaoh's Daughter And Rashanim at the South Street Seaport's
      Spiegeltent, a gently lit, European style beer garden filled with
      gleaming mirrors, and a great view of the Brooklyn Bridges. Info:
      212-279-4200 http://rashanim.com http://Spiegelworld.com
      http://myspace.com/pharaohsdaughter
      *NOTE: See Below

      ------- WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 23
      8pm Soulfarm in a special musical event to benefit Jewish
      Federation's Israel Emergency Campaign. In Deal Park, NJ: the JCC of
      Greater Monmouth County, 100 Grant Ave. If you love music that will
      bring you to your feet, this is a concert that can't be missed: a
      unique blend of rock influenced by Israeli, Latin, Middle Eastern,
      and Celtic music. Tickets: $25; $20 for seniors and students. Group
      rates available. Call 732-531-9100 x142 http://soulfarm.net
      http://jewishmonmouth.org

      ------- SEPTEMBER 10-17
      The 3rd annual NY Jewish Music festival, with over 60 groups
      performing in 17 venues throughout the city. Featuring: John Zorn
      and the Book of Angels, Klezmatics, Frank London's Hazonos, Girls'
      Night On (open mike night for women, by women), Jewish Poetry with
      mima'amakim, Hip Hop Sulha, Moshav Band, Rav Shmuel, YiddishFest,
      Hadag Nachash, David Broza, Yossi Piamenta, Pharaoh's Daughter,
      Neshama Carlebach, Y-Love, HEEDOOSH and much more, including the
      second annual Jewish Music Awards. Also launching a conference to
      discuss and examine Jewish culture in the Entertainment industry -
      capacity is limited and is likely to sell out. Call 212-608-0555
      http://oyhoo.com

      Jewish Music Album of the Week: KolFusion's debut "Eternal Drive" is
      a great blend of musical genres as the name implies. With classic
      rock arrangements and great harmonies, Eric and Dovid sound like a
      modern Simon and Garfunkel or Cat Stevens, but they sing a calypso
      Modeh Ani! Their most eclectic track is Shimon's niggun, where they
      start off singing folk style in a Major key, transform the tune into
      freygish klezmer with a hora beat, and then take it into Dixieland
      jazz with a full horn section. In addition to the all original
      songs, there are two great covers: Aaron Razel's "Hineh Hasneh" and
      Rabbi Moshe Shur's "Sameiach" (the way it's meant to be played with
      an easy rhythm, not how it's done at weddings today) - with the
      addition of some great harmonica. Download free clips and get info
      on where to buy the CD: http://kolfusion.com

      Have a great Shabbos!

      Gili Houpt

      *NOTE: For all the above events so noted, the issue of Kol Isha may
      apply; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more info, and see
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/links/k_001127134606