Last music opportunity before the 3 Weeks

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2006
      Dear Friends,

      Thanks to all those who braved the weather report and came
      out to last week's kumsitz in the park - the rain was nice enough to
      wait until just after the last song! We'll have one more kumsitz
      today (see full info below) before we break for the Three Weeks, a
      period of mourning the destruction of the Jersualem Temple and
      abstaining from music, which begins this Thursday, July 13, with the
      Fast Day of Shiva Asar b'Tamuz.

      ------- SUNDAY, JULY 9
      5:30-7:45pm the last Central Park kumsitz (informal concert) before
      the Three Weeks. Enter the park from Central Park West at W96 St and
      turn right (or at W93 and turn left), and look for us between CPW and
      the Park Drive. Come with a musical instrument to play along, or
      just sit back and enjoy the music. Bring your friends and a blanket
      to sit on (and, if you want, some kosher snacks or drinks to share).
      Call me for more info: 646-706-3076

      9pm Hasid meets Hipster presents Shul of Rock, at The Lucky Cat, 245
      Grand St (between Driggs & Roebling) in Williamsburg (near JLMZ
      trains). Info: 718-782-0437 or seth@...
      http://theluckycat.com

      Neshama Carlebach will be singing for women only at Camp Lavi. Info:
      call 609-395-8478 or http://neshamacarlebach.com

      ------- MONDAY, JULY 10
      7PM Ben Tap Soul (featuring Ben Nathan) mixes rap, tap, funk rock and
      soul, inspired by Jewish spirituality, at MJE Cocktails on the Roof.
      Also featuring DJ Dworkin. For young Jewish professionals in their
      20s and 30s. Manhattan Jewish Experience: 131 W86th St, 11th fl.
      Cost: $15 in advance; $20 at the door (includes appetizers and open
      bar). Contact: 212.787.9533 or http://bentapsoul.com
      http://jewishexperience.org

      8:30-10:30PM is the weekly Jewish bluegrass concert with Andy
      Statman, world renowned master on both clarinet and mandolin, At the
      Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St. Suggested
      donation: $10 (includes refreshments). Call first to confirm the
      show is on: 212-242-6425 http://andystatman.org

      ------- TUESDAY, JULY 11
      8pm Ladino concert, showcasing three young female singers who look to
      Sephardic tradition for their musical inspiration: Karina Lombrozo,
      Nicole Murad, and Smadar Levi. Enjoy the beautiful tunes while
      learning about the history of Sephardic music, of a time when Judeo-
      Spanish culture and language dominated a large part of the Jewish
      world. At Congregation Shearith Israel, The Spanish and Portuguese
      Synagogue, 2 W70 St. Cost: $10/advance, $15 at the door (includes
      light refreshments). Info: 212-873-0300 x209 or
      http://shearithisrael.org
      *NOTE: See Below

      8PM First monthly Tribeca Showcase of New Jewish Music & Comedy (and
      open mike) featuring Jewish rocker Aryeh Kunstler, guitar virtuoso
      Yitzchak Halevi, improv group Lost Tribe, singer/songwriter Carl
      Guzman/Kol Yechiel Band, singer-songwriters Yehuda Kaplan and Yaakov
      Chesed, folk-rock band Azamrah, comedienne Gillian Howard, musician-
      humorists Jon Taub Trio, and band members from the rock musical Soul
      Searching. At the Synagogue for the Arts, 49 White St. (West of
      Broadway; 2 blocks below Canal St.) Cost: $10 in advance; $15 at
      door. Info: 212-966-7141
      http://synagogueforthearts.org
      *NOTE: See Below

      8pm Pey Dalid and Yossi Piamenta at Makor, 35 W. 67th St. Cost:
      $15. Info: 212-601-1000 or http://makor.org http://piamenta.com

      ------- WEDNESDAY, JULY 12
      8PM Neshama Carlebach performs at the Greater Monmouth Jewish
      Community Center, 100 Grant Avenue in Deal Park, NJ. Opening Act:
      Natalie Michaan - Middle Eastern Latin American Vocalist. Info: call
      732-531-9100 or see http://neshamacarlebach.com
      *NOTE: See Below

      ------- SHABBAT, JULY 14-15
      The Yeshiva's last shabbaton before the summer break. Friday night
      @8pm and Saturday @10am for prayer, song, transcendence of self, and
      personal growth, with Rosh Yeshiva Rav Dovber Pinson as guide on this
      spiritual journey. The Yeshiva is in Brooklyn: 155 Water St #2B.
      Recommended donation: $10. More info: 718.852.6356 or
      http://iyeshiva.com

      ------- JULY 16-20
      17th Annual North American Jewish Choral Festival at the Hudson
      Valley Resort and Spa. Join hundreds of Jewish choral music lovers
      who will raise their voices in song in a unique program of choral
      music. For info call 212-362-3335 or see http://zamirfdn.org
      *NOTE: See Below

      ------- AUGUST 5
      Shabbos Nachamu, the weekend after the fast of Tisha b'Av usually features a lot of great concerts following our three weeks of mourning and abstaining from music. I'll be compiling the list in the next few weeks, so now is the time to let me know of a concert you're planning or any music events that you know about.

      As we prepare for the period of mourning beginning in a few
      days, let us take advantage of this last opportunity to approach
      Hashem with joyous singing and serve through happiness. In the merit
      of coming together in celebration of being Jewish, may this be the
      year that our mourning is transformed into the greatest jubilation as
      we witness the coming of the Redemption and an era of universal peace!

      Gili Houpt

      *NOTE: For all the above events so noted, the issue of Kol Isha may
      apply; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more info, and see
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/links/k_001127134606