Another Kumsitz in Central Park this Sunday

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2006
      Dear Friends,

      The last kumsitz in the park a couple of weeks ago was really
      great - we were blessed with good weather and some talented musicians
      who showed up. So come on out this Sunday and let's sing together
      (see info below). There's a chance we might be filmed for the new
      National Jewish Television Network, Shalom TV!

      Shalom TV, the first ever national Jewish TV studio, is
      looking for interns to work on new and innovative Jewish children's
      shows, news programs, game shows and community event coverage. Send a
      resume or letter of interest to alan@...

      ------- FRIDAY, JUNE 30
      7pm I'll be leading a Carlebach davening, with lots of singing, at
      Congregation Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St, between Broadway and
      Amsterdam. http://ramathorah.org

      7pm Carlebach Congregation of Teaneck at 95 Edgemont Place, starting
      and ENDING on time! They'll drive you to mincha if you live far away.
      And now is the time to High Holiday seats, early-bird member price of
      $40 before July 4. Info: 201-708-6629 http://carlebachteaneck.com

      ------- SATURDAY, JULY 1
      9pm Simply Tsfat - last minute change of venue - Lakewood, NJ, at the
      home of Moshe Rothkop, 34 Caranetta Dr. Info: 347-524-5687 or
      http://simplytsfat.com

      ------- SUNDAY, JULY 2
      5:30-7:45pm this summer's second Central Park kumsitz (informal
      concert). Enter the park from Central Park West at W96 St and turn
      right (or at W93 and turn left), and look for us between CPW and the
      Park Drive. Bring along a musical instrument if you want to play
      along (or just come and listen), blankets to sit on (and if you want:
      some kosher snacks or drinks to share). Call me Sunday for weather
      updates: 646-706-3076

      7pm Simply Tsfat and Pey Dalid free concert on Long Beach, Long
      Island. Last year 2500 people showed up for this Independence Day
      celebration! http://simplytsfat.com

      ------- MONDAY, JULY 2
      8:30-10:30PM is the weekly Jewish bluegrass concert with Andy
      Statman, world renowned master on both clarinet and mandolin, At the
      Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St. Suggested
      donation: $10 (includes refreshments). Call first to confirm the
      show is on: 212-242-6425 http://andystatman.org

      ------- WEDNESDAY, JULY 5
      7pm Simply Tsfat's only Manhattan performance on this tour before
      heading back to Israel: Makor, 35 W67 St. Info: 212.601.1000 or
      http://simplytsfat.com

      ------- THURSDAY, JULY 6
      8pm Summer Jam 2006 featuring Heedoosh, Blue Fringe and Remedy, at
      CODA, 34 E34 St, at Madison Ave. Ticket Price: $10 advance; $12 at
      door. Info: 212-685-3434 or http://coda34.com

      8:30-10:30PM is the weekly Music of the Mystics concert featuring
      Andy Statman, playing klezmer with some toe-tapping bluegrass thrown
      in, on both clarinet and mandolin, At the Greenwich Village
      Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St. Suggested donation: $10
      (includes refreshments). Call first to confirm the show is on: 212-
      242-6425 http://andystatman.org

      ------- TUESDAY, JULY 11
      8PM - Tribeca Showcase of New Jewish Music & Comedy (and open mike)
      featuring Jewish rocker Aryeh Kunstler, guitar virtuoso Yitzchak
      Halevi, improv group Lost Tribe, singer/songwriter Carl Guzman/Kol
      Yechiel Band, comedienne Gillian Howard, musician-humorists Jon Taub
      Trio, and band members from the rock musical Soul Searching, and
      more. At the Synagogue for the Arts, 49 White St. Cost: $10 in
      advance; at door: $15. Info: 212-966-7141
      http://synagogueforthearts.org
      *NOTE: See Below

      ------- JULY 16-20
      17th Annual North American Jewish Choral Festival at the Hudson
      Valley Resort and Spa. Join hundreds of Jewish choral music lovers
      who will raise their voices in song in a unique program of choral
      music. For info call 212-362-3335 or see http://zamirfdn.org
      *NOTE: See Below

      ------- AUGUST 5
      Shabbos Nachamu, the weekend after the fast of Tisha b'Av usually
      features a lot of great concerts following our three weeks of
      mourning and abstaining from music. I'll be compiling the list in
      the next few weeks, so now is the time to let me know of a concert
      you're planning or any music events that you know about.

      Jewish Music Album of the Week: "Wellsprings II- The Day Is
      Gonna Come" is the long awaited follow-up to Laible ben Moshe's
      debut. His background comes from playing Folk, Country and Rock
      concerts all over the country, but in the past two decades he
      returned to his roots and forged a new path of Jewish Folk-Rock
      refelcting his musical diversity. The opening track will get you
      dancing with Haleluka to a techno beat and the Latin rhythms of
      Gad'loo Lashem, and then slow down with the medidative Anaynee. The
      English selections, soulful ballads like "Power of Prayer" and "Don't
      Have Long To Go" contain powerful messages of spirituality, and the
      Blues-influenced "Don't Have Long To Go" is a great take on the
      Exodus. Laible ben Moshe ends the album with the title track,
      yearning for the Messianic Era. Goto his website to hear live clips
      and get info on buying the CD or call 908-391-1407 for discounted
      prices, and stay tuned for upcoming concerts in the NY area:
      http://laiblebenmoshe.com

      Have a good Shabbos!

      Gili Houpt

      *NOTE: For all the above events so noted, the issue of Kol Isha may
      apply; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more info, and see
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/links/k_001127134606