Farewell to Chanukah

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      As Chanukah is winding to a close, I found a few more
      concerts for you to check out. We add one candle each night because
      we always increase in holiness, but when we reach the eighth night we
      can keep growing spiritually even without the candles! This Shabbos
      we celebrate both Rosh Chodesh and Chanukah, so it's one of the few
      times we read from 3 Torah scrolls. Check out the Carlebach Shul
      Chanukah party tomorrow night. And I'll be doing a special musical
      davening at my shul Sunday and Monday mornings (see below for more
      info). Soak up the light now, so that it can last us all year!

      Tonight, Friday, Dec 30 at 4:25pm I'll be leading the
      davening with some special Chanukah tunes at Congregation Ramath
      Orah, 550 W110 St, between Broadway and Amsterdam. Then Saturday
      night we'll have a musical candle-lighting at 5:30pm. Sign up to
      receive the shul's weekly email updates: http://ramathorah.org

      Friday-Saturday, Dec 30-31 Seth Nadel will be leading
      davening and teaching throughout Shabbos at the New Year's Shabbaton,
      an exciting, non-stop, fun-filled weekend Shabbat Chanukah for
      sophisticated single professionals, at the Marriot Resort Hotel in
      Somerset NJ: 110 Davidson Ave. Saturday night concert 8-10 pm. For
      more info: 800-720-9306 and see http://sethnadel.com or
      http://newbeginningsfoundations.org

      Saturday, Dec 31 at 8pm-Midnight Carlebach Shul Chanukah
      Extravaganza and KUMSITZ! Featuring Yaakov Dov Miller, Yerachamiel
      Ziegler, Nochi Krohn, Levi Kranz and other musical guest stars.
      Plus: the only Kosher open bar where the Rabbi is the Bartender! At
      the Carlebach Shul, 305 W79 St. Price: $40 (includes full Chinese
      Buffet and sushi dinner). Bring your instruments and Drums! For
      details: 212-580-2391 or see http://carlebachshul.org

      Also Dec 31 at 7:30pm is Old Broadway's fifth annual Chanukah
      party, featuring latkes, donuts, festive lighting of menorah, and the
      wonderful live music of accordionist Aron Girshman. At the Old
      Broadway Synagogue, 15 Old Broadway (one half block east of Broadway
      between 125th & 126th Streets). Contribution: $10 person. RSVP:
      please leave a message at 212-662-9767

      Also Dec 31, at 5:45pm giant, outdoor Menorah Lighting and
      Havdalah Service at Beth Israel of Westport/Norwalk, 40 King St.
      Refreshments served. Free and open to the public. For info call 203-
      866-0534 or see http://bethisraelct.org

      Also Dec 31 Jewish music New Year's Eve at Makor, 35 W. 67th
      St. (between Central Park & Columbus). At 9PM Aaron Alexander's
      Midrash Mish Mosh; at 10PM Frank London's Klezmer Brass All-Stars;
      11pm Klezmer Jam Session (bring your instruments); 11:30pm - The Boys
      of Balagan Boogaloo. Cost: $75 at the door; in advance: $65/person,
      $100/couple (includes: open bar 10pm-midnight, champagne Toast, film:
      White Heat, poetry reading, raffle for a trip for 2 to Fiji). Call
      212-415-5500 or http://makor.org
      **NOTE: See Below

      Sunday, Jan 1 at 8am special musical davening for Chanukah at
      Congregation Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St, between Broadway and
      Amsterdam. I'll be leading Hallel accompanied by my guitar, just as
      my Levite ancestors did in the times of the Temple (but maybe they
      didn't have guitars back then). Bring your instruments to play
      along! http://ramathorah.org

      Also Jan 1 at 11am The Beat with Ben Bresky will interview
      Neshama Carlebach to discuss her new album, Journey, and her Chanukah
      tour in Israel. Call in live to ask a question 1-800-270-4288 and
      tune in at http://IsraelNationalRadio.com

      Also Jan 1 at 6pm the Yemenite Kehillah (Cong. Tiffereth
      Yisrael) is having its Hanukkah Celebration, featuring Israeli and
      Yemenite DJ music and dancing. At the West Side institutional
      Synagogue, 120 W76 St. A full meal will be served. For more info
      contact Rabbi Yaish at YAIRY@...

      Monday, January 2 at 8am if you were too hung-over to make it
      to Sunday's davening we'll have a repeat of the musical Hallel (see
      above).

      Also January 2 at 8:30pm Shlomo Katz in Concert, with
      guitarist Nochi Krohn and Avi Fienberg, in Washington Heights: Mount
      Sinai Jewish Center, 135 Bennett Ave. corner of 187th St. Cost: $15;
      students: $10. More info: 917-742-3209 or yisroelj@...

      Thursday, Jan 5 - Monday, Jan 16, Simply Tsfat, acclaimed
      Breslov Chassdic acoustic group, is back for another tour in the tri-
      State area. Contact them to book a show in your community: call 914-
      729-6675 before the start of the tour (local call from the US, but
      don't forget that Israel is 7 hours later) or while on tour 646-319-
      4907 (US cel phone) or see http://simplytsfat.com

      Also Jan 5, 8:30-10:30PM is the weekly Music of the Mystics
      with Andy Statman at the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St
      near W4 St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes refreshments). More
      info: call the shul at 212-242-6425 or see http://andystatman.org

      Also Jan 5 at 10pm Y-Love's Bday Party with dj handler, at
      Scenic, 35 Ave B, b/w 2nd and 3rd Aves. dj handler spinning hip hop,
      afro beat, baile funk and Israeli crunk all night, with a special
      live set by Y-Love. FREE! More info: call 212-253-2595 and see
      http://modularmoods.com

      Sat, Jan 7 at 8pm ANDY STATMAN performs at Barbes in Park
      Slope, Brooklyn: 376 9th St, corner of 6th Ave. Master of both
      mandolin and clarinet, Statman breathes new life into intricate
      Chassidic niggunim. Cost: $8. More info: 718.965.9177 or
      http://barbesbrooklyn.com

      Sunday, January 8 at 7:30 pm Simply Tsfat in concert at The
      Bridge Institute, Congregation Washington Heights, 179th and
      Pinehurst. Admission: $12. More info: email info@... or
      see http://nycbridge.com

      Monday, Jan 9, 8:30-10:30PM Andy Statman resumes his is the
      weekly Jewish bluegrass night at the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53
      Charles St near W4 St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes
      refreshments). More info: call the shul at 212-242-6425 or see
      http://andystatman.org

      Wednesday, Jan 11 at 8pm NYC Jazz Alternatives/The New
      Generation, featuring 6 bands, including Rashanim, one of the hottest
      young groups in the New Jewish Renaissance, playing from heavy rock
      to Jewish jazz, classical to world beat to create an eclectic program
      of modern Jewish music in the Zorn tradition. At TONIC, 107 Norfolk
      St. NYC. Cost: $12. For more info: 212-358-7501.
      http://tonicnyc.com or http://jonmadof.com

      Saturday, January 21, 7-
      11pm The Stanton Street Shul Centennial Renovation Project presents a
      Klezmer Concert and Silent Auction, featuring superstars of the
      Jewish music scene: Shtreiml and the Village Klezmer Quintet. At the
      Lower East Side's Lippman Auditorium, 551 Grand St, at Jackson St.
      Silent Auction features great prizes: restaurants, trips, Box seats
      for a Yankee game, and much more. Admission: $36 in advance; $40 at
      the door, $25 students/seniors (includes all you can eat Chinese
      buffet by Eden Wok). Contact: 212-533-4122 or
      http://stantonstreetshul.com

      Jewish Music Album of the Week: "Ahava V'achva" is the debut
      recording from Yerachmiel, planned beautifully as a concept album for
      Jewish marriage, featuring all original music. The first few songs
      are slow ballads, and could very well be used as tunes to march down
      to the chupah, or music to enjoy over a romantic dinner. As the
      wedding progresses, the beat speeds up with a great reggae version of
      Im Eshkachech, the country-style title track, and a rockin' Siman
      Tov. The album closes with a very hopeful, melodic Od Yishama, as we
      yearn to celebrate weddings in peace in Jerusalem. May Yerachmiel be
      blessed to share his music with many new couples, and may he find his
      own kallah soon to sing her these beautiful songs. Check out
      Yerachmiel this Saturday night at the Carlebach Shul or see
      http://yerachmiel.com

      Have a good Shabbos!

      Gili Houpt

      *NOTE: For all the above events so noted, the issue of Kol Isha may
      apply; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more info, and see
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/links/k_001127134606