Jewish Music for the new month of Kislev

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      Tonight is Rosh Chodesh Kislev, beginning the month of
      Chanukah, when we celebrate the role of the Jewish people to bring
      more light to the world. Joining together for Jewish music events
      is one way we can overcome the hatred that creates evil and pave the
      way for a Messianic era of peace. This weekend I'll be leading a
      Friday night Tisch on the Upper West Side, and also some programs at
      my shul - see below for more info. Enjoy the music!

      Tonight, Thursday, December 1 at 7:45pm, I continue my
      weekly class on "A Practical Guide to Leading the Davening,"
      focusing on both tunes and nusach, especially in the Carlebach
      style, for Friday night davening. No musical or religious
      background necessary. The class is not just for those who want to
      be a chazzan, but also for people who want to learn more about the
      davening. At my shul: Congregation Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St.
      http://ramathorah.org

      Also December 1, 8:15-9:30pm (doors open 8pm) "Music to
      Inspire" - Arnie Singer performs with some special guests, at MJE,
      10th fl of 131 W86th St. Admission free until 8:30pm, after which
      it's $10 (includes a copy of Arnie's inspiring CD "Soul
      Encounter"). More info: 212-787-9533 or arnie@...
      http://jewishexperience.org

      Also Dec 1 at 8PM the Rosh Chodesh Institute with Rabbi
      Naftali Citron, an exciting evening of learning, meditation, and
      music that mends the soul. At the Carlebach Shul, 305 W79 St. The
      topic for this month of Kislev: Spiritual Rest: You May Know How To
      Make Money Fast But Do You Know How To Sleep Fast? Serving: Dairy
      Delights - Wine & Cheese, Lasagna, Salads. For more info: 212-721-
      SHUL and http://carlebachshul.org/UpSchedule/RoshChodesh.htm

      Also Dec 1 Gerard Edery in a Sephardic Hanukah concert at
      the Westover School, 1237 Whittemore Road, Middlebury, CT. More
      info: 203-758-2423 or http://GerardEdery.com

      Tomorrow, Friday, December 2 at 10am, The Jewish Music Forum
      presents Francesco Spagnolo (Hebrew University/U.C.-Santa Cruz)
      speaking on "From Rossi to Rossini: Shifting Paradigms in Italian
      Jewish Musical Culture" with a response by David Ruderman
      (University of Pennsylvania). At the Center for Jewish History, 15
      W16 St. Part of the series, "New Perspectives on Music in Jewish
      Life." Free Admission. More info: call 212-294-8328 and see
      http://jewishmusicforum.org

      Also Dec 2 at 4:20pm I'll be leading the davening at
      Congregation Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St, between Broadway and
      Amsterdam. Shiru lashem shir chadash -- I'm planning to introduce a
      new tune this week!

      Also Dec 2, 9-10:30pm Friday night Tisch at the home of Will
      Winter, in the Key West, 750 Columbus Ave apt #9H, at 96 St. I'll
      be there with some friends to share some songs and words of Torah.
      All are welcome to join in! Sponsored by the Upper West Side
      Spiritual Project. For more info and to get involved in future
      events, contact Tani Schwartz at nataniaz@...

      Saturday, December 3 at 4:25pm (following mincha at 4pm),
      I'll be speaking and singing at a spiritual seduah shlishit (3rd
      Shabbat meal) at Congregation Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St. Then usher
      out Shabbat with a musical havdallah at around 5:30pm. More info:
      212-222-2470 or http://www.ramathorah.org

      Also Dec 3 at 8:30pm Mega Carlebach Yarzheit Concert in
      Teaneck, NJ, featuring Yisroel Williger, Mendy Wald, Yerachmiel,
      Shloime Dachs, Piamenta, Yehuda Green, Ruby Harris, C Lanzbom and
      Noah Solomon of Soulfarm, Chaim Kiss, and Shloime Dach's Orchestra.
      Hosted by Rabbi Naftali Citron of The Carlebach Shul. Tickets are
      $35 (at the door if available). For info about the new Teaneck
      Carlebcah minyan call 212-726-2390 or email sjbrodsky@... and
      for info on the concert see http://carlebachshul.org

      Also Dec 3 @9pm, Soul Searching, a Jewish musical about a
      single Jewish woman struggling to find her match and her true
      spiritual place in the world. Now in previews until Jan 1, at the
      45th Street Theater, 354 W45 St, b/w 8th and 9th Aves. With music
      and lyrics by Avi Kunstler, along with a 4-piece rock band. Every
      Thurs @8 PM, Sat @9PM, and Sun @3PM & 7:30PM. Tickets: $25. Call
      212-352-3101 http://theatermania.com
      **NOTE: See Below

      Sunday, Dec 4, 2-4pm Pharaoh's Daughter Unplugged, featuring
      the trio Basya, Daphna and Meg (playing oud, recorders/ney, violin)
      at the Mt. Kisko Library Series. More info, call 212-683-7816 and
      see http://pharaohsdaughter.com
      **NOTE: See Below

      Also Dec 4 @ 8pm Simply Tsfat performs Eizer l'Shabbos
      benifit in Flatbush: 1484 East 17th St. Contact: Mayer Fogel at 917-
      319-4656 or http://www.simplytsfat.com

      Monday, December 5 8:30-10:30PM is the weekly Jewish
      bluegrass night with Andy Statman at the Greenwich Village
      Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St. And every Thursday night:
      Music of the Mystics. Suggested donation: $10 (includes
      refreshments). For more info call the shul at 212-242-6425 or see
      http://www.andystatman.org

      Also Dec 5 at 8PM is the weekly Off-Broadway "A Match Made
      In Manhattan, The Interactive Jewish Wedding Experience." At The
      Actors Temple, 339 West 47th Street (b/w 8th and 9th Aves.) Join in
      for the 'shmorg', the 'chupah', dancing, comedy, and the drama of it
      all. Admission: $65 (includes wine and 3-course gourmet meal by
      Dougies). More info: 201-567-6664 or
      http://amatchmadeinmanhattan.com

      Tuesday, Dec 6, 6-7:30pm The Workmen's Circle Yiddish Chorus
      is seeking new singers. This non-professional group of singers, who
      enjoy learning and performing Yiddish music, meets weekly at the
      Workmen's Circle building, 45 E33 (between Park and Madison). If
      interested, contact HazzanAri@...
      **NOTE: See Below

      Also Dec 6 Simply Tsfat performs in Storrs, CT: UConn
      Hillel. Contact: Rabbi Laufer at 401-273-7238 or
      http://www.simplytsfat.com

      Thursday Dec 8 at 8 pm Simply Tsfat Concert at The JCC in
      Manhattan, 334 Amsterdam Ave at 76th St. Cost: $15/$20. Contact:
      646-505-5708 or http://jccmanhattan.org

      Saturday, Dec 10 at 8PM is the 10th Anniversary pre-Chanukah
      Cantorial Concert, featuring Cantors Leon Kahn of the Washington
      Heights Congregation, Joseph Malovany, Benzion Miller and Yaakov
      Motzen, accompanied by Daniel Gildar. Also featuring The Belz
      School of Jewish Music Choral Ensemble, under the direction of
      Cantor Eric Freeman. Tickets: $22 in advance; $25 at the door.
      Call 212-923-4407 or email belzschool@...

      Also Dec 10 Simply Tsfat performs in West Orange, NJ, at
      Congregation AABJ&D. http://www.simplytsfat.com/

      Sunday, December 11 at 1:30pm come celebrate Reva L'Sheva's
      6th CD "Ve'sham Nashir" - the band is on tour from Israel,
      performing with special guest Dov Rosenblatt of Blue Fringe, in
      Teaneck, NJ, at The Pasta Factory, 1400 Palisade Ave. Cost
      (includes buffet) - $15 in advance; $20 at the door. For more info
      call 201-837-1000 and see http://revalsheva.com

      Also Dec 11 Simply Tsfat performs at Chabad of Dix Hills
      Eighth Annual Awards Dinner, Huntington Town House, in Huntington
      Station, NY. http://www.simplytsfat.com

      Saturday Dec 17, 8-11pm "Jewish Soul Celebration" - Join
      Ayecha for a spectacular, first-ever, musical journey celebrating
      the music of Jews of Color, from Israel, Africa, and the US.
      Featuring Joshua Nelson and the Kosher Gospel Singers, Danny Maseng,
      BINA Ethiopian Dance Troupe, and Yoel Ben-Simhon and the Sultana
      Ensemble. At Symphony Space, 2537 Broadway at 95th St. Tickets:
      $55, $35 or $27 (or $20 check day of show for availability) - call
      212-864-5400 or visit box office or see http://ayecha.org
      http://symphonyspace.org

      Sunday, December 18 11:30am-2:30pm Basya from Pharaoh's
      Daughter performs at the 92nd St Y, 1395 Lexington Ave. Info: 212-
      415-5500 or http://pharaohsdaughter.com
      **NOTE: See Below

      Also Dec 18, at 7:30pm Fourth Annual Tribute
      Concert, "Helfgot Sings Koussevitzky and More" featuring Yitzchak
      Meir Helfgot, Chief cantor of the Park East Synagogue, accompanied
      by members of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra and the Yuval
      Choir from Israel. At Lincoln Center Avery Fisher Hall, 132 W 65th
      St. Both separate and family seating available. For tickets ($36
      and up) call 718-851-3226 or email cantorsworld@... or at
      http://cantorsworld.com

      Jewish Music Album of the Week: I'd like to re-introduce a
      weekly feature from a few years ago: at the end of the events
      listing I'll include a short blurb about a new Jewish Music CD.
      It's a great way for emerging musicians to get exposure to the more
      than 3,000 recipients of this list. I'm planning to start next
      week, so send me your music asap - contact me by email (just reply
      to this message).

      Have a good Shabbos and a holy Rosh Chodesh!

      Gili Houpt

      *NOTE: For all the above events so noted, the issue of Kol Isha may
      apply; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more info, and see
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/links/k_001127134606