More Karduner concerts

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      Two new concerts have been added to Yosef Karduner's US
      concert tour before he goes back home to Israel: tonight in Queens
      and tomorrow night in Brooklyn. The final show is still this
      Saturday night on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, where I'll be
      opnening with my band. See below for full details.

      Tonight, Wednesday, November 9 at 8:30pm Yosef Karduner plays
      a Kumzits in Kew Gardens Hills: at the home of Dovid and Miriam
      Solomon, 141-12 72nd Ave. Also featuring inspirational divrei torah
      from Rav Shmuel Marcus. Open to men and women. Highly encouraged
      donation at the door: $10. More info: urischneider@... and see
      http://isheiyisrael.org

      Tomorrow, Thursday, Nov 10 at 7:45pm I'm beginning a weekly
      class on "A Practical Guide to Leading the Davening," focusing on
      tunes and nusach, especially how to be a chazzan in the Carlebach
      style, for Friday night davening and Shabbat morning. No musical or
      religious background necessary. The class is not just for those who
      lead davening, but also for people who want a greater appreciation of
      the mechanics of chazzanut. At my shul: Congregation Ramath Orah,
      550 W110 St. http://ramathorah.org

      Also Nov 10 at 7pm Yosef Karduner in Flatbush, Brooklyn: at
      Rabbi Fund's Shul Ave H & 17th St. Also features Yossi and
      Yerachmiel ("Rocky"). Admission: $15; Students: $10. For more info,
      call 845.667.4744 or see flyer at http://yerachmiel.com/kard.htm

      Also Nov 10 at 7:30PM Ohel Proudly Presents a Tribute to
      Yisroel Lamm, an evening of elegance and memorable music in honor of
      his 36 years of creative contributions to Jewish Music. At Lincoln
      Center Alice Tully Hall. Admission: $100, $75 (proceeds to Ohel,
      especially helping people with developmental and psychiatric
      disabilities, and families in crisis in the Jewish Community).
      Tickets: 866-OHEL-TIX (local number: 646-862-7897) and see
      http://www.jewishtickets.com/ohel

      Also Nov 10, 8-10pm Klezmer Mountain Boys at Temple Israel,
      112 East 75th St -- between Lex and Park Aves). Cost: $18 in advance
      $20 at door. Contact Information: jberezov@...

      Also Nov 10 @8pm, Soul Searching, a Jewish musical about a
      single Jewish woman struggling to find her match and her true
      spiritual place in the world. Now in previews until Dec 1, at the
      45th Street Theater, 354 W45 St, b/w 8th and 9th Aves. With music
      and lyrics by Avi Kunstler, along with a 4-piece rock band. This
      weekend's shows: Thurs @8 PM, Sat @9PM, and Sun @3PM & 7:30PM. Next
      shows Thanksgiving weekend. Tickets: $25. Promotion thru Nov 13: $5
      off when ordering online - use code "BRENDA" or call 212-352-3101
      http://theatermania.com
      **NOTE: See Below

      Friday, Nov 11 at 4:30pm I'll be leading the davening with
      lots of singing at my shul: Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St. Shiru lashem
      shir chadash -- I'm planning to introduce a new tune this week!
      http://ramathorah.org

      Saturday, November 12 at 8:15pm (Doors open at 8) Yosef
      Karduner in concert, accompanied by the multi-talented Yaakov Dov
      Miller. On the Upper West Side of Manhattan: Congregation Ramath
      Orah, 550 W110 St, between Broadway and Amsterdam (subway: #1 train
      stops on the corner). My band will also be playing a few songs,
      featuring keyboardist Shmuel Bodenheimer from Bsamim, YD Miller on
      guitar, and Yosef Goldman on percussion. Admission: $18; students
      and children: $13 (a portion of the proceeds to support the shul).
      Note: men and women will be seated separately. Seats will fill up
      quickly: come early, or get stuck in the balcony! Contact me for
      more info: 646-706-3076 or reply to this email

      Also Nov 12 at 8:30pm, Melave Malka for Women, in Passaic: at
      the home of Menucha Rothenberg, 370 Pennington Ave. An inspiring
      evening of music, Divre Torah, stories, strengthening each other.
      All women invited – bring your instruments!!! To subscribe to the
      Passaic kesher email list: passaickesher@...

      Also Nov 12 at 8pm Soulfarm performs at the Monsey Jewish
      Center on Route 306. Advance tickets: save $5. More info: contact
      David Barg at dbarg@... or see http://soulfarm.net

      Also Nov 12 at 8pm Piamenta Band play Makor, 35 W67th St.
      Special appearance by the super-talented duo of Yehuda Piamenta and
      Yehuda Piamenta, Yosi's and Avi's sons playing the same wildly
      frenetic improvisational music their fathers have made famous. Also
      featuring Eden, one of the hottest young bands in the world of Jewish
      rock music. Cost: $12. http://www.makor.org

      Also Nov 12 8-10pm Rav Shmuel plays in Tenafly, NJ, at the
      JCC on the Palisades, 411 East Clinton Avenue, in Tenafly, NJ. Free
      and open to the community; no reservations required. For more info,
      contact Ely Allen at 201-488-6800 x222 or see http://ravshmuel.com
      http://jcconthepalisades.org

      Sunday, Nov 13 at 7:30pm Women's Concert in Passaic, NJ: at
      the home of Aliza Dubin, 433 Terhune Ave. An evening of musical and
      artistic inspiration for women. Featuring: singer-songwriters Aliza
      Dubin and Miriam Sandler, and opera singer, Elena Tal. All proceeds
      to help the Jewish community of New Orleans. Suggested donation: $18
      (tax-deductible). Mother/daughter special: $25. More info:
      passaickesher@...

      Also Nov 13 Dudu Fisher performs at the Helen Hayes Theater
      in Nyack, NY. Info: 845-356-9880x242 and http://dudufisher.com

      Monday Nov 14 at 8pm J.A.P. a performance for women only. In
      Teaneck, NJ: Congregation Bnai Yeshurun, 641 W.Englwood Ave. Through
      music, dance and storytelling a Japanese American woman from Hawaii
      details her journey to Judaism with humor and compassion. Written
      and Performed by Rachel Factor, who appeared on Broadway in "Miss
      Saigon", "Shogun the Musical", at Radio City Music Hall as a World
      Famous Rockette, as well as in numerous film and television shows,
      before discovering Judaism and choosing a Torah way of life. See
      below for more shows later this week. More info: 646-201-9636 or
      http://rachelfactor.com

      Also Nov 14, at 8:30pm "Taking Time Out for Your Soul" with
      Rabbi David Zeller from Jerusalem – for Women Only! Song, music,
      meditation, some Hassidic commentaries, and learning to take time out
      in your life for "breaks and serenity". Cost: $18 at door (healthy
      snacks provided). In Passaic, NJ: Dubin Family, 433 Terhune Ave.
      RSVP in advance: 973-773-7728 http://www.davidzeller.org

      Monday, Nov 14 at 8PM is the weekly Off-Broadway "A Match
      Made In Manhattan, The Interactive Jewish Wedding Experience." Now
      in "previews" at The Actors Temple, 339 West 47th Street (b/w 8th and
      9th Aves.) Join in for the 'shmorg', the 'chupah', dancing, comedy,
      and the drama of it all. Admission includes wine and 3-course
      gourmet meal by Dougies: $65 at the door; tickets online: $57.66 -
      use the code "PREVIEWS". More info: 201-567-6664 or
      http://amatchmadeinmanhattan.com

      Also Nov 14, and every Monday 8:30-10:30PM Andy Statman plays
      the weekly Jewish bluegrass at the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53
      Charles St near W4 St. And every Thursday night: Music of the
      Mystics. Suggested donation: $10 (includes refreshments). For more
      info call the shul at 212-242-6425 or see http://www.andystatman.org

      Tuesday, November 15, 8pm (doors open at 7pm) MUSIC BEYOND
      BORDERS, Pakistan Earthquake Benefit Concert, featuring The Idan
      Raichel Project (Israeli, Ethiopian) and Anath (Palestinian,
      Tunisian). At Columbia University: Synod Hall, 110th and Amsterdam
      Ave. Price: $25; $30 @ the Door, $10 with any Valid student ID. For
      info or advance tix: 212-854-5111
      http://columbia.edu/~eac2104/idan.htm
      **NOTE: See Below

      Also Nov. 15 at 8pm J.A.P. at the Jewish Center 131 w86 St.
      See above (Nov 14) for full info.

      Wednesday, November 16 at 8pm Dor Chadash celebrates 2 years
      of building bridges between Israelis and American Jews who want to
      connect to Israel. At GLO, 431 W16 St (between 9th & 10th Aves).
      Featuring chart-topping Israeli rockers, "Dr. Kasper's Rabbit Show,"
      DJ Juan and DJ Boogie. Open bar 8-9pm. Tickets: $50 at the door;
      $36 in advance. More info: 212-725-1211 or http://dorchadashusa.org

      Also Nov. 16 at 8pm J.A.P. in Queens: YCQ 147-37 70th Rd.
      See above (Nov 14) for full info.

      Thursday, November 17 at 8pm Rashanim CD Release Show
      for "Masada Rock" at Tonic, 107 Norfolk St (b/t Delancey &
      Rivington); subway: F to Delancey St. or J/M/Z trains to Essex St.
      Rashanim is Jon Madof (guitar), Shanir Ezra Blumenkranz (bass) and
      Mathias Künzli (drums) playing Jewish melodies, indie rock, punk,
      and "downtown" jazz. Cost: $10. More info: 212-358-7501 or
      http://jonmadof.com

      Also Nov. 17 at 8pm J.A.P. in Long Island: Huntington Town
      House, 124 E.Jericho Turnpike. See above (Nov 14) for full info.

      Thursday-Sunday, Nov 17-20 "The POWER OF MUSIC" the 2nd
      annual International Carlebach Conference, sponsored by the Carlebach
      Shul and the JCC in Manhattan. Featuring workshops, presentations,
      concerts, and shabbaton. I'll be leading musical davening at the
      shul Friday 7:45-9am, and Oneg Shemesh will lead Sunday 8:30-9:30am --
      bring your musical instruments, and let me know if you want to be a
      part of it. See the website for full schedule and prices (davening
      is free) - online discounts available until Nov 10. More info: 212-
      580-2391 or http://yourspark.com/pages/CarlebachMusicConf2.html

      Friday, Nov 18 at 10am, The Jewish Music Forum presents a
      lecture with audiovisual accompaniment, on the history of 18th
      century Sephardic court composers. At the Center for Jewish History,
      15 W16 St. With musicologist Dr. Walter Zev Feldman, Ph.D. (Hebrew
      University of Jerusalem), an expert on Turkish and Jewish musical
      history, author of numerous works on Ottoman musical history and the
      history of Jewish klezmer music. Response by author Dr. Karl Signell
      (Editor, Ethnomusicology OnLine). Part of the series, "New
      Perspectives on Music in Jewish Life." Free Admission. More info:
      call 212-294-8328 and see http://jewishmusicforum.org

      Friday-Saturday, November 18-19 Mount Kisco Hebrew
      Congrgation celebrates the Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach Yarzeit Shabbos,
      with special guest Seth Glass leading the davening and Friday Night
      dinner at the shul, in Mt Kisco NY: 15 Stewart Pl. Saturday Night
      Melave Malka And Kumzits (time and venue To Be Announced). Open to
      the entire community -- no charge! More info: 914-242-7460 or
      http://sethglass.com

      Also Shabbos Nov 18-19 Neshama Carlebach will be singing in
      honor of her father's Yahrzeit, at The Hebrew Institute of Riverdale
      (HIR), 3600 Henry Hudson Pkwy. There will be programs all Shabbat
      long with a special musical Havdala service. More info: call 718-796-
      4730 or see http://hir.org

      Chessed opportunity for musicians: Hebrew Academy for Special
      Children (HASC) Day School is looking for some volunteers to play a
      Chanukah concert for Jewish children with special needs. During the
      week of or prior to Channukah. In Boro Park: 14th Ave. and 64th St.
      Contact Manny Wineman at 201-637-2348 idw23@...

      In this week's parsha we read about the historic journey
      undertaken by our ancestors, Avraham and Sarah, following the Divine
      command to leave their home, family, and everything they knew, to
      travel to an unknown location directed only by their trust in
      Hashem. How many of us have that simple faith today? Even if we're
      not yet ready to make aliya, we can begin to make the spiritual
      journey, looking to the Torah for guidance and wisdom, thought it may
      go against societal norms or secular values. Truly this is Lech
      *Lecha* - for our own benefit, as our Creator knows us best. May we
      blessed to reach our ultimate destination soon.

      Enjoy the music along the way!

      Gili Houpt

      *NOTE: For all the above events so noted, the issue of Kol Isha may
      apply; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more info, and see
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/links/k_001127134606