Yosef Karduner concert tour

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      Announcing: 3 concerts with Yosef Karduner, visiting from
      Israel for his 5th annual NY concert tour. Raised as a secular
      Israeli and now a Breslav chasid, Karduner is renowned for his
      original compositions and singing style, setting to music beautiful
      prayers and teachings from Rebbe Nachman. Four years ago I had the
      zechus to help produce his first US concerts, accompanying him on
      percussion and opening the show with my band. Now once again I am
      honoured to perform with him on Saturday night, Nov 12, at my shul.
      See below for full details.

      Tonight, Thursday, November 3 at 8PM the Rosh Chodesh
      Institute with Rabbi Naftali Citron, and special guest speaker
      visiting from Israel: Rabbi Shalom Brodt. An exciting evening of
      learning, meditation, and music that mends the soul. At the
      Carlebach Shul, 305 W79 St. This month's topic for Cheshvan: Using
      Your Past Life Experience To Reach Your Spiritual Goals. Serving: A
      Taste Of Israel - falafel, schwarma, and wine from The Holy Land.
      For more info, call the info line: 212-721-SHUL and see
      http://carlebachshul.org/UpSchedule/RoshChodesh.htm

      Also tonight @8pm, Soul Searching, a Jewish musical in
      previews until Dec 1, at the 45th Street Theater, 354 W45 St, b/w 8th
      and 9th Aves. The show is about a single Jewish woman struggles to
      find her match and also her true spiritual place in the world. With
      music and lyrics by Avi Kunstler, along with a 4-piece rock band.
      Performances every Thurs @8 PM, Sat @9PM, and Sun @3PM & 7:30PM.
      Tickets: $25. SPECIAL DISCOUNT: $7 off for recipients of this list -
      use code "MOED" when ordering online. Tickets: 212-352-3101 or
      http://theatermania.com
      **NOTE: See Below

      Friday, Nov 4 at 10am, The Jewish Music Forum presents a
      lecture with audiovisual accompaniment on the role of liturgical
      organ music in German Jewish Culture, with Musicologist Tina Fruhauf,
      Ph.D. and response by Dr. Philip Bohlman. At the Center for Jewish
      History, 15 W16 St. Part of the series, "New Perspectives on Music
      in Jewish Life." Free Admission. More info: call 212-294-8328 and
      see http://jewishmusicforum.org

      Saturday, Nov 5 at 4:25pm (following mincha at 4pm), I'll be
      leading a spiritual seduah shlishit (3rd Shabbat meal) at my shul:
      Congregation Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St, between Broadway and
      Amsterdam. Then usher out Shabbat with a musical havdallah at around
      5:30pm, followed by kiddush levana (blessing over the new moon)
      weather permitting. For more info about all the great programs we
      have going on, email me (just reply to this message) or call the shul
      at 212-222-2470 or http://ramathorah.org

      Saturday night, November 5, at 8:30pm Yosef Karduner performs
      at the annual Hilula (festive yahrtzeit commemoration) of the holy
      Rebbe from Piazcezna, Rav Kalonymous Kalman Shapira, the Aish Kodesh
      (murdered by the Nazis in 1943 on the 4th of Cheshvan). Rav
      Weinberger (of the Aish Kodesh shul named after him) will be giving
      over some of his holy teachings. At the Young Israel of Lawrence
      Cedarhurst, corner of Spruce Street and Broadway in Lawrence.
      Suggested donation: $10. Note: men and women will be seated
      separately. More info: 917-826-2612 or http://aishkodesh.org

      Also Nov 5 @8pm, Melavah Malkah in Monsey: at the Friedman
      home, 72 Carlton Rd. An evening of singing, stories and learning
      with Rabbi Sholom Brodt, Dean of Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo, a unique
      learning center with separate men's and women's programs, set in
      Jerusalem's historic Nachlaot neighborhood, founded on the teachings
      of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach. RSVP to Nachman and Miriam Futterman: 845-
      362-8318 or Devra Stark: shulim26@... and see
      http://shlomoyeshiva.org

      Also Nov 5 @8pm, if you're in Chicago for the weekend, check
      out the Living Legend of Jewish Rock and Klezmer, The RUBY HARRIS
      Band, in a Musical Melave Malka at the Young Israel of West Rogers
      Park, 2706 W.Touhy Ave. Nourish your soul with song & dance! FREE
      ice cream, drinks, and chips; pizza available for purchase; $10
      donation requested. For more info: 773-743-9400. Also, Ruby is
      looking to start a Chicago Jewish music list similar to this one in
      NY, so if you have any friends in the MidWest, put them in touch with
      him: lectricviolin@... and see http://rubyharrismusic.com

      Sunday, Nov 6 at 8pm Mima'amakim Publication Party: Sixth
      Anniversary Salute, featuring Mima'amakim Poets with the music of
      Basya Schechter (Pharaoh's Daughter), Chickpeaz (ft. Matthue Roth)
      and Frantic Turtle (ft. Jake Marmer). At Cornelia Street Cafe, 29
      Cornelia Street (b/n Bleecker and West 4th). Cost: $6 + one drink
      min. http://mimaamakim.org
      **NOTE: See Below

      Monday, Nov 7 at 8PM is the weekly Off-Broadway "A Match Made
      In Manhattan, The Interactive Jewish Wedding Experience." Now
      in "previews" at The Actors Temple, 339 West 47th Street (b/w 8th and
      9th Aves.) Join in for the 'shmorg', the 'chupah', dancing, comedy,
      and the drama of it all. Admission includes wine and 3-course
      gourmet meal by Dougies: $65 at the door; tickets online: $57.66 -
      use the code "PREVIEWS". More info: 201-567-6664 or
      http://amatchmadeinmanhattan.com

      Also Nov 7, and every Monday at 8:30PM Andy Statman plays the
      weekly Jewish bluegrass at the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53
      Charles St near W4 St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes
      refreshments). For more info call the shul at 212-242-6425 or see
      http://www.andystatman.org

      Tuesday, November 8 at 8pm, Yosef Kaduner performs again, in
      Washington Heights: Mount Sinai Jewish Center, 135 Bennett Ave @
      187th St. Cost: $10 for members and students, $15 for non-members.
      Note: men and women will be seated separately. More info: contact
      Yisroel Juskowicz at 917-742-3209 or yisroelj@...

      Thursday, Nov 10 at 7:45pm I'm beginning a weekly class on "A
      Practical Guide to Leading the Davening," focusing on tunes and
      nusach, especially how to be a chazzan in the Carlebach style, for
      Friday night davening and Shabbat morning. No musical or religious
      background necessary. The class is not just for those who lead
      davening, but also for people who want a greater appreciation of the
      mechanics of chazzanut. At my shul: Congregation Ramath Orah, 550
      W110 St. Contact me for more info (just reply to this email). More
      info: 212-222-2470 or http://ramathorah.org

      Also Nov 10 at 7:30PM Ohel Proudly Presents a Tribute to
      Yisroel Lamm, an evening of elegance and memorable music in honor of
      his 36 years of creative contributions to Jewish Music. At Lincoln
      Center Alice Tully Hall. Admission: $100, $75 (proceeds to Ohel,
      especially helping people with developmental and psychiatric
      disabilities, and families in crisis in the Jewish Community).
      Tickets: 866-OHEL-TIX (local number: 646-862-7897) and see
      http://www.jewishtickets.com/ohel

      Also Nov 10, 8-10pm Klezmer Mountain Boys at Temple Israel,
      112 East 75th St -- between Lex and Park Aves). Cost: $18 in advance
      $20 at door. Contact Information: jberezov@...

      Friday, Nov 11 at 4:30pm I'll be leading the davening with
      lots of singing at my shul: Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St. Shiru lashem
      shir chadash -- I plan to introduce a new tune this week!
      http://ramathorah.org

      Saturday, November 12 at 8:15pm (Doors open at 8) Yosef
      Karduner in concert, accompanied by the multi-talented Yaakov Dov
      Miller. My band will also be playing a few songs. On the Upper West
      Side of Manhattan: Congregation Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St, between
      Broadway and Amsterdam. Admission: $18; students and children: $13
      (a portion of the proceeds to support the shul). Note: men and women
      will be seated separately. Seats will fill up quickly: come early,
      or get stuck in the balcony! I need a few volunteers to help out (in
      exchange for a free ticket) - call me at 646-706-3076 or reply to
      this email.

      Also Nov 12 at 8pm Rav Shmuel plays in Tenafly, NJ, at the
      JCC on the Palisades, 411 East Clinton Avenue, in Tenafly, NJ. For
      more info, contact Ely Allen at 201-488-6800 x384 or see
      http://ravshmuel.com

      Sunday, Nov 13 at 7:30pm Women's Concert in Passaic, NJ: at
      the home of Aliza Dubin, 433 Terhune Ave. An evening of musical and
      artistic inspiration for women. Featuring: singer-songwriters Aliza
      Dubin and Miriam Sandler, and opera singer, Elena Tal. All proceeds
      to help the Jewish community of New Orleans. Suggested donation: $18
      (tax-deductible). Mother/daughter special: $25. More info:
      passaickesher@...

      Also Nov 13 Dudu Fisher performs at the Helen Hayes Theater
      in Nyack, NY. Info: 845-356-9880x242 and http://dudufisher.com

      Wednesday, November 16 at 8pm Dor Chadash celebrates 2 years
      of building bridges between Israelis and American Jews who want to
      connect to Israel. At GLO, 431 W16 St (between 9th & 10th Aves).
      Featuring chart-topping Israeli rockers, "Dr. Kasper's Rabbit Show,"
      DJ Juan and DJ Boogie. Open bar 8-9pm. Tickets: $50 at the door;
      $36 in advance. More info: 212-725-1211 or http://dorchadashusa.org

      Thursday, November 17 at 8pm Rashanim CD Release Show
      for "Masada Rock" at Tonic, 107 Norfolk St (b/t Delancey &
      Rivington); subway: F to Delancey St. or J/M/Z trains to Essex St.
      Rashanim is Jon Madof (guitar), Shanir Ezra Blumenkranz (bass) and
      Mathias K├╝nzli (drums) playing Jewish melodies, indie rock, punk,
      and "downtown" jazz. Cost: $10. More info: 212-358-7501 or
      http://jonmadof.com

      Thursday-Sunday, Nov 17-20 "The POWER OF MUSIC" the 2nd
      annual International Carlebach Conference, sponsored by the Carlebach
      Shul and the JCC in Manhattan. Featuring workshops, presentations,
      concerts, and shabbaton. There will also be musical davening that
      I'm organizing Friday 7:45-9am and Sunday 8:30-9:30am -- bring your
      musical instruments and let me know if you want to be a part of it.
      See the website for full schedule and prices (davening is free) -
      online discounts available until Nov 10. More info: 212-580-2391 or
      http://yourspark.com/pages/CarlebachMusicConf2.html

      Friday, Nov 18 at 10am, The Jewish Music Forum presents a
      lecture with audiovisual accompaniment, on the history of 18th
      century Sephardic court composers. At the Center for Jewish History,
      15 W16 St. With musicologist Dr. Walter Zev Feldman, Ph.D. (Hebrew
      University of Jerusalem), an expert on Turkish and Jewish musical
      history, author of numerous works on Ottoman musical history and the
      history of Jewish klezmer music. Response by author Dr. Karl Signell
      (Editor, Ethnomusicology OnLine). Part of the series, "New
      Perspectives on Music in Jewish Life." Free Admission. More info:
      call 212-294-8328 and see http://jewishmusicforum.org

      Friday-Saturday, November 18-19 Mount Kisco Hebrew
      Congrgation celebrates the Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach Yarzeit Shabbos,
      with special guest Seth Glass leading the davening and Friday Night
      dinner at the shul, in Mt Kisco NY: 15 Stewart Pl. Saturday Night
      Melave Malka And Kumzits (time and venue To Be Announced). Open to
      the entire community -- no charge! More info: 914-242-7460 or
      http://sethglass.com

      Have a good Shabbos and a high Cheshvan!

      Gili Houpt

      *NOTE: For all the above events so noted, the issue of Kol Isha may
      apply; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more info, and see
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/links/k_001127134606