Last CP Kumsitz of the year this Sunday, Sept 18

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      I've gotten off to a great start at my new pulpit,
      Congregation Ramath Orah, where I'm working as rabbinic intern. The
      shul has a very warm and friendly atmosphere, incredibly spirited
      davening, and lots of great programs. I invite you to come by and
      check it out this Shabbat - I'm leading the davening Friday night,
      followed by dinner with a special guest speaker - see below for
      info. Also, I'll be playing a Carlebach melava malka in Teaneck
      Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon will be the last kumsitz of the
      season in Central Park. Looking forward to singing with you!

      Sept 13-25 is the second annual NY Jewish Music & Heritage
      Festival, ten days with over 60 concerts at venues throughout the
      city. I'll include a few highlights below, but see the website for
      complete list of shows: http://oyhoo.com
      **NOTE: See Below

      Tonight, Thursday, September 15 at 7pm the Seth Nadel Band
      playing a benefit for Keren Or, at "The Loft @ 47 West" 47 West St.
      Admission: 60 includes open bar, dinner, music, and auction to raise
      funds for blind and handicapped children in Israel. For more info
      and reservations call 212.279.4070 and see http://keren-or.org

      Also Sep 15 at 8pm Nalaga'at, the Israeli DeafBlind Theatre
      Troupe, performs "Light is Heard in Zig Zag" at Lincoln Center's
      Rose Theater. Performance mostly with music and pantomime, and a
      small amount of narration and speech in simple Hebrew (simultaneous
      translation to English and sign-language. It's inspiring to see how
      some "disabled" people are so capable, challenging us to question if
      we are utilizing our potential to its fullest. Tickets: $48 - call
      212.608.0555 and see http://nalagaat.org.il
      **NOTE: See Below

      Also Sep 15 at 9pm dj handler plays at the Leopard Lounge,
      248 E5 St @ 2nd Ave. For more info call 212-253-2222 or see
      http://leopardloungenyc.com and http://modularmoods.com

      Also Sept 15 at 8PM, Soul Searching, a new Jewish musical
      play at Theater for the New City, 155 First Ave btwn 9th and 10th
      St. The show follows the comedic and poignant plight of a single
      Jewish woman in NYC as she struggles to find her match and find her
      true spiritual place in the world. With music and lyrics by Avi
      Kunstler, along with a 4-piece rock band. Tickets: $15.
      Performances every Thurs, Sat and Sun thru Oct 2. More info: call
      212-254-1109 and see http://theaterforthenewcity.net/soul.htm
      **NOTE: See Below

      Also Sep 15 and every Thursday at 8:30PM Andy Statman
      plays "Jewish music of the Mystics" at the Greenwich Village
      Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St. Suggested donation: $10
      (includes refreshments). For more info call the shul at 212-242-6425
      or see http://www.andystatman.org

      Tomorrow night, Friday Sept 16 at 6:55pm I'll be leading the
      davening at Congregation Ramath Orah, 550 W110 St, between Broadway
      and Amsterdam. Don't miss this one -- I'll be introducing a new
      tune for Lecha Dodi! Following davening, there will be a dinner at
      the shul featuring scholar-in-residence Rabbi Howard Jachter, Dayan
      on the Elizabeth Beth Din and author of "Grey Matter: Topics in
      Contemporary Halacha." He will be speaking on the contemporary
      topic: "Women in Chains - the Agunah Problem: A View from the
      Trenches." For more info and to make dinner reservations (cost: $25
      ; students: $20) call 212-222-2470 (leave a message if nobody picks
      up) or see http://www.ramathorah.org

      Also Sept 16 at 7pm Friday Night Live! Carlebach services
      with Shilo Kramer, followed by dinner featuring Rabbi Ephraim
      Buchwald, founder and director of the National Jewish Outreach
      Program, speaking on "A Rosh Hashanah Message: Being the Best You
      Can Be." Cost: $30 with mention of this email! RSVP to
      beginners@... or call 212-774-5678 and see http://ckj.org

      Saturday, Sept 17 at 8:30pm I'll be backing up Rabbi Naftali
      Citron of the Carlebach Shul, Meir Solomon of the Moshav Band and
      Oneg Shemesh at the Carlebach musical melava malka in Teaneck, NJ:
      at the Moose Lodge, 201 West Englewood Ave (across from Poppy's
      Bagels and Dougies). Free admission! Bring your own instruments
      and divrei torah to share. For info and future Teaneck Carlebach
      events contact Shmuley Brodsky at 212-726-2390 or sjbrodsky@...
      and see the flyer at

      Also Sept 17 at 8:45PM Neshama Carlebach and her Band in
      concert at Ansche Chesed, 251 W100 St. For reservations and more
      info, call 212-865-0600 or see http://neshamacarlebach.com
      **NOTE: See Below

      Sunday, Sept 18 5-6:45pm will be the last kumsitz in Central
      Park this year. So come on by, and bring musical instruments (if
      you have) and blankets to sit on (and if you want, some kosher
      snacks or drinks to share). Enter the park from Central Park West
      at W96 St and turn right (or at W93 and turn left), and look for us
      between CPW and the Park Drive. Call me on Sunday for possible rain
      cancellation: 646-706-3076

      Sunday, Sep 18 at 7PM concert to support victims of
      Hurricane Katrina, featuring the Seth Nadel Band, Blue Fringe, Eden,
      and Gershon Veroba. At the West Side Institutional Synagogue, 120 W
      76 St. (bet. Columbus and Amsterdam) Tickets: $15; additional
      donations accepted. More information, advanced ticket and group
      sales call 718-757-7590 and see http://sethnadel.com
      http://www.bluefringeband.com http://veroba.net http://edenmusic.net

      Also Sep 18, Noon-6pm is the 28th Annual Shalom Pelham
      Parkway Festival, at Comras Mall of Bronx Park, Bronx Park East &
      Lydig Avenue, near the Bronx Zoo. Featuring Ira Heller, Yoel
      Sharabi, Pey Dalid, the Klezmer Trio and Cantor Karl Kritz.
      Exhibits on Jewish history. Clowns and magicians will perform
      around the Festival grounds throughout the day. Admission: free.
      For more info call 718-792-4744 and see

      Monday, Sep 19 at 7pm The 1st Annual Jewish Music Awards, in
      downtown Manhattan: The Museum of Jewish Heritage, 36 Battery Pl.
      Ten awards will be presented to outstanding artists in their field (5
      nominees to each category), including a special lifetime
      achievement award to Joey Ramone (five artists, including Golem and
      Divahn will perform Ramones tributes). Categories include New
      Klezmer Band, Hip Hop, Singer/Song Writer, Jewish Punk and Middle
      Eastern Blend. Tickets: $30 (includes after-party). Call 212-751-
      9192 and see http://oyhoo.com

      Also Sep 19, and every Monday at 8:30PM Andy Statman plays
      the weekly Jewish bluegrass at the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53
      Charles St near W4 St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes
      refreshments). For more info call the shul at 212-242-6425 or see

      Also Sep 19, and every Monday at 8 PM, the Off-Broadway "A
      Match Made In Manhattan, The Interactive Jewish Wedding
      Experience." At The Center for Jewish Discovery, 199 W19 St, at 7th
      Ave. Join in for the 'shmorg', the 'chupah', dancing, comedy, and
      the drama of it all. Tickets: $55 (includes free wine and a three-
      course gourmet meal catered by The Village Crown). More info: call
      201-567-6664 and see http://amatchmadeinmanhattan.com

      Tues, Sept 20 at 10pm Chavlaz: Israeli hip hop night with dj
      handler @ Leopard Lounge, 248 E5th St @ 2nd Ave. DJ Handler has
      performed with diverse performers ranging from Frank London to
      Members of the Wu Tang Clan, from Harvard to Ha Simta in Israel to
      Times Square, including Ashkenazic cantorial music, traditional
      Yemenite melodies and hip hop. He also maintains his own record
      label, modular moods. Free admission (open bar)! Call 212-253-2222
      or see http://oyhoo.com and http://modularmoods.com

      Also Sept 20, 7:30-9pm Margot Leverett & The Klezmer
      Mountain Boys
      perform foot-stomping melodies that blend the sounds of klezmer
      with the spirit of bluegrass, combining the worlds of Eastern Europe
      and Appalachia. At the JCC in Manhattan, 334 Amsterdam Ave at 76th
      St. Cost: $20. More Information: call 646-505-5708 or see
      http://jccmanhattan.org and http://oyhoo.com

      Wednesday, Sept 21st at 7:30pm Pre-High-Holiday cantorial
      concert "Lishmoa El Harina V'El Hatefilah," featuring Chazzonim Sol
      Zim, Jeffrey Nadel, Ari Klein, Eliyahu Greenblatt, Azi Schwartz and
      Choir, Yechezkel Klang, and pianist Daniel Gildar. At Merkin Hall,
      129 West 67th St. Tickets: $40. More info and tickets: call 718-851
      -3226 and see http://cantorsworld.com

      Also Sept 21 at 8pm Simply Tsfat in concert at Synagogue of
      the Arts, 49 White St. More info, call 212-608-0555 and see
      http://oyhoo.com and http://www.simplytsfat.com

      Also September 21 at 7pm To Life! A Chinese auction and
      evening of inspiration, with Shimonah Tzukernik, FOR WOMEN ONLY.
      Featuring live music, Banquet buffet, Chinese Auction with prizes
      from foods to fads, Photography to reflexology, Jewels to tools, and
      more! At the home of Rivka Kromholz, 405 Oak Avenue, Cedarhurst.
      $20 entrance fee includes $30 in tickets; all proceeds to benefit
      the Torah-Healing Center's shiurim and hachnasas kallah fund.
      info call 718.337.0110 and see http://torah-healing.org

      Thursday Sep 22 at 9pm Yosi Piamenta's Heavenly Jams Band
      performing at Mexicali Blues Cafe, 1409 Queen Anne Rd in Teaneck,
      NJ. Age: 21+ Tickets: $15. More info, call 201-833-0011 and see

      Also Sep 22 at 12:30pm free Lunchtime Sephardic Concert
      Series at the Central Synagogue, 123 E 55 St. Featuring Gerard
      Edery and Danny Maseng in The Thirteen Petalled Rose: Songs to Stir
      the Soul. This unique collaboration between two master singers and
      virtuoso guitarists combines their multi-cultural backgrounds and
      highly sensitive voices. More info, call 212-838-5122 or see
      http://gerardedery.com and http://dannymaseng.com

      Also Sep 22 at 8pm, AFRO-SEMITIC EXPERIENCE with special
      guest Frank London, Days of Awe concert. At The JCC in Manhattan,
      334 Amsterdam Ave at 76 St. Call 646-505-4444 and see

      Friday, Sept 23 Madraigos presents Judah Roth, the Carlebach
      Chazan of Brooklyn, leading a Carlebach davening in the Five Towns,
      followed by dinner by reservation. At Cong Beth Sholom, 390
      Broadway, in Lawrence. Cost of dinner: $26 per person. More info:
      718-471-7137 or madraigos@... or see

      Also Sept 23 I'll be leading the davening at Ohav Sholom
      Congregation, 270 W84th St. followed by a Shabbat dinner at Darna
      Restaurant for the Jewish International Connection of NY, bringing
      together Jews from all over the world. RSVP for dinner: call Jodi
      917-657-7482 or see http://jicny.com

      Saturday, Sept 24 at 10pm I'll be leading the selichos
      service at Kehilat Rayim Ahuvim (KRA), 241 W72nd Street, 2nd Fl.
      Festive dessert reception to follow. For more info on the shul or
      to order High Holiday seats (I'll be the chazan then as well) email
      chevra@... or see http://rayimahuvim.org

      Also Sept 24, 9-10:30pm Yehuda Glantz visiting from Israel
      for a mini concert tour. Concert at the NJ Jewish Music Festival,
      Congregation Etz Chaim, 365 East Mount Pleasant Ave. in Livingston,
      NJ. Glantz plays 14 different instruments, including charrango,
      tarbuka, pincuyo as well as the guitar, violin and keyboard, to fuse
      hot Latino rhythms with Jewish soul music, new age, rock-n-roll, and
      traditional Hasidic melodies. Concert followed by selichos. Cost:
      $25; students: $22. More info call 973-530-3444 and see

      Also Sept 24th at 7pm Modular Moods introduces the Styles of
      the East, w/ Michal Cohen, Sarah Aroeste, & Eyal Maoz's Edom group
      (with dj handler). At Joe's Pub, 425 Lafayette St. Cost: $15.
      More info, call 212-539-8777 and see http://oyhoo.com
      *NOTE: See Below

      Also September 24 at 9:15PM PEY DALID in a pre-selichos
      concert at the Carlebach Shul, W79 St between Riverside & West End
      Ave. Admission: $20 (includes refreshments). More info, call 212-
      721-SHUL and see http://carlebachshul.org/UpSchedule/Concerts.htm

      Also September 24, concert followed by Selichot Services and
      Hurricane Katrina Benefit, The Afro-Semitic Experience and Frank
      London with Cantor Erik Contzius, 9:00 p.m., at Temple Israel of New
      Rochelle, 1000 Pinebrook Boulevard, New Rochelle, New York, for more
      information please call 914-235-1800.

      Sunday, Sept 25 11am-9pm Jewzapalooza, the culmination of
      the Jewish Music & Heritage Festival, in Riverside Park at 72nd St.
      Last year 5,000 people attended this concert at the South Street
      Seaport. This year they're expecting to double the audience, with
      performers: JUEZ, Aviv Geffen, Joshua Nelson & Kosher Gospel
      Singers, Blue Fringe, Golem, Pharaoh's Daughter, Soulfarm, and
      Israeli jazz great Avishai Cohen. Also a Food Pavillion with Kosher
      food and a Wine Tasting tent. See http://oyhoo.com
      **NOTE: See Below

      Also Sept 25 the annual Chabad telethon, this year raising
      money to support Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, in addition to
      all the incredible activities Chabad performs all over the world.
      Tune in to the great Jewish music all day on WLNY Channel 55 or live
      on the web: http://tolife.com

      Also Sept 25, 11-5pm is the Five Towns Community Chest Fair,
      in Cedarhurst Park. Seeking bands who are looking for some free
      publicity (but no pay). Contact Carol Miller at 516-374-5800 or

      Sunday-Tuesday, Sep 25-27 Yehuda Glantz (see above) has some
      available slots for concerts, and I'm helping him book some gigs.
      If interested, contact me at 646-706-3076 or email me at
      houpt@... (just reply to this message). Yehuda's beautifully
      moving song "Nafshi" was used for a video with footage from the
      recent Disengagement. Very painful to watch, but so important to
      see what's really going on there. Download it from my website:

      Tuesday, Sept 27 @ 8pm, Shirah NYC - Israeli Music: Sing
      along to Israeli hits with song lyrics displayed on a large screen,
      while being accompanied by a singer and live band. At Makor, 35
      West 67th St (bet. Columbus & CPW) Tickets: $25. For more info: 212-
      415-5500 and http://www.makor.org
      **NOTE: See Below

      Thursday, September 29, doors open 8:30 pm, music starts 9:15
      pm - Average Mo, featuring Mo Shapiro (guitar, vocals), Brian
      Gelfand (keys, vocals), Dave Solomon (bass), "Mad" Mike
      (drums), and special solo set by Mick Lewis. At The Parlour, 250 W86
      St (Between B'way & West End). Cover: $6 + one drink suggested
      minimum. See http://momuzic.com

      Sunday, Oct 2 at 3PM & 7:30PM, final performances for Soul
      Searching, a Jewish musical play running for just one month in NY.
      See above (Sep 15) for more info.

      We are now in the midst of the Jewish month of Elul, which
      is a time when we can examine our actions of the past year and think
      how we can improve. It's not just a chance before Rosh Hashana to
      ask forgiveness from those we have wronged, but it's also the time
      when Hashem is most accessible to us, when Divine love is most
      apparent. The Hebrew word Elul is an acrostic for the verse from
      Shir HaShirim, Songs of Songs: "Ani L'Dodi V'Dodi Li" (I am to my
      Beloved and my Beloved is to me) -- during this month we relate to
      the Master of the World on the deepest level. We blow the shofar
      every morning at davening as a wake-up call: take advantage of this
      opportunity to develop a relationship with our Creator. I wish you
      much success in your spiritual journeys and hope they bring you
      closer to the Ultimate Goodness.

      Have a good Shabbos!

      Gili Houpt

      *NOTE: For all the above events so notated, the issue of Kol Isha
      may be
      applicable; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more info, and