Jewish music for after Tisha B'av

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2003
      Dear friends,

      Here's this week's Jewish music update, after a month-long
      hiatus due to the music restrictions of the Three Weeks (and the
      crash of my laptop -- should be fixed in a few weeks). On Friday
      I'm heading out to the West Coast for 10 days to perform in LA, and
      then I'll be back in NY for a final farewell weekend August 23
      before I leave for a year of study in Israel.

      I'm still looking for volunteers to help run the music list
      next year. There are various different tasks that can be split up
      among different people: gathering concert information from emails,
      websites, flyers, and newspapers; contacting musicians and promoters
      of events; compiling, verifying and editing listings; writing up the
      weekly email; handling requests from people to join/leave the list;
      responding to emails about Jewish music; keeping the website up-to-
      date; etc. If you are interested in helping out in any of the
      above, please send me an email (even if you already contacted me I
      may have lost your info when my computer died). Hopefully we can
      keep this going even in my absence.

      Tonight, Thursday August 7 is Tisha B'Av, the saddest day in
      the Jewish calendar. We usher in the day by reading with the
      ancient haunting melody from the scroll of Eicha, Lamentations, an
      eyewitness account by the prophet Jeremiah of the destruction of
      Jerusalem 2600 years ago. Synagogues all over the city have special
      programs tonight and all day tomorrow to mark the day, so don't miss
      it: "whoever mourns the destruction of Jerusalem will merit to see
      it rebuilt."

      Saturday, August 9 at 10:30 PM, a special unplugged concert
      with Avraham Rosenblum at Aish Kodesh, 894 Woodmere Place,
      Woodmere. Avraham will be playing new tunes from the upcoming
      Avraham Rosenblum & Diaspora "KEDEM" album, due out in September,
      with all the favorites thrown in as well. Admission is $10. For
      additional info see www.diasporaband.com www.aishkodesh.org

      Also Aug 9 at 9:45pm, Melave Malka Kumzits: a night of music
      and words of Torah, featuring my Remez bandmate Seth Nadel. At
      Tifereth Israel, 180 Passaic Ave, in Passaic, NJ. $10 suggested
      donation, $25 family max. Includes refreshments. For more info,
      call 201-264-8707 or email rebseth@...

      Also Aug 9, at 10pm, the Moshav Band and special guest
      Shtreiml (klezmer/Jazz) performing at Makor, 35 W67 St. Cost: $12.
      For more info call 212-601-1000 or see http://makor.org and
      http://www.moshavband.com

      Saturday, August 10, at 7pm, a benefit concert for Yad
      Eliezer, providing for impoverished Jews in Israel, featuring the
      ever-so-groovy Pey Dalid band, at the Carlebach Shul, 305 W79 St.
      Cost: only $10. For more info, email blummiriam@... and see
      http://www.peydalid.com

      Also Aug. 10, at 6:30pm, Asefa performs at Park Slope Jewish
      Center, 14th St. and 8th Avenue, in Brooklyn. "Samuel Thomas and
      his ensemble traverse the musical landscape of the Jewish diaspora,
      combining traditional melodies and styles with contemporary concepts
      in improvisation and composition." Cost: $5. For more information
      call PSJC at 718.768.1453 or see http://www.JATM.org/asefa

      Monday, August 11 at 8PM Andy Statman, master of clarinet
      and mandolin, kicks off his biweekly performance (every MOnday and
      Thursday) at the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4
      St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes refreshments). For more info
      call the shul at 212-242-6425 or see http://www.andystatman.org

      Tuesday Aug. 12th at 7:30PM-Midnight, Interactive Tu B'Av
      Gathering at the Carlebach Shul, 305 W 79th St. between West End &
      Riverside. How many soulmates can you fit into The Carlebach Shul?
      Play relationship games based on corporate team building, improv and
      arts & crafts dynamics with a Jewish twist. $10 Admission.
      Refreshments free. Dinner for sale. Live Band 7:30-9pm. For more
      info call Rabbi Naftali Citron at The Carlebach Shul 212-580-2391.

      Also August 12, at 7:30 PM Chaim Dovid will be playing
      unplugged at the Mischel residence, 339 Maitland Ave in Teaneck,
      NJ. Admission is $15 at the door.

      Also August 12, at 7:30 PM the Queens Jewish Community
      Council Jewish Music Under the Stars summer concert series featuring
      Sandy Shmueli. At Cunningham Park, Union Tpke. @ 196 St. in Fresh
      Meadows, Queens. FREE! For more info, call 718-544-9033

      Wednesday, August 13, at 8:15pm, Meaningful Life Center
      presents: "Fire & Water: Drum your Soulmate into Your Life," for
      Singles and Couples. An interactive drumming experience for the
      full moon of Av, in a rock 'n roll studio, a relationship workshop
      with a difference. Drums provided for everyone. Simon Jacobson will
      speak on the mystical meaning of love, lunar-cy and effective
      listening. At S.I.R, 520 W25th St, betw. 10th & 11th Ave. Cost:
      $20. For bookings and info call 718-774-6448 or see
      http://meaningfullife.com

      Also August 13 at 9PM Rashanim & Lemon Juice Quartet
      performing at Makor, 35 W67 St. Cost: $12. For more info call 212-
      601-1000 or see http://makor.org and http://www.jonmadof.com

      Friday, August 15, at 7pm sharp, Chaim Dovid will be in Kew
      Gardens Hills, Queens for a special Carlebach Shabbos. He will be
      leading the davening at the YND Shabbos Minyan, located in the new
      YCQ building, 70-10 150th St. Also Saturday afternoon at 7pm there
      will be Mincha followed by Seudah Shlishis -- all are welcome. For
      more info email RobertBarris1@...

      Saturday, August 16 at 10:15pm, Chaim Dovid will perform at
      a Melaveh Malka at the Young Israel of Holliswood, Holliswood Jewish
      Center on Francis Lewis Blvd. Admission: $15; students: $10. For
      more info on Chaim David's schedule, email elliot.ganz@...

      Tuesday August 19 at 7:30 SHARP, the new band Prophets n'
      Blues, featuring Abe, Jon, & Steve, debuting at the Lion's Den, 214
      Sullivan St, between Bleecker and W3 St. Ages: 18 to enter; 21 to
      drink. $8 cover. It's a 40 minute set, so don't be late. For more
      info, email DangleNews@...

      Also August 19, at 7:30 PM the Queens Jewish Community
      Council Jewish Music Under the Stars summer concert series featuring
      The Zim Family. At Cunningham Park, Union Tpke. @ 196 St. in Fresh
      Meadows, Queens. FREE! For more info, call 718-544-9033

      Sunday, August 24 if I can get all packed for Israel in
      time, I'll try to have one more kumsitz in the Park before I go.
      Stay tuned for more details! For more info, call me at 917-331-0682
      or email gili@...

      Three weeks of morning culminates in Tisha B'av tomorrow, as
      we grieve for the suffering of the Jewish people through the
      centuries. But this cannot be wallowing in despair, but rather a
      constructive time when we can reflect on how far we've fallen short
      of our potential to do good, both as individuals and as the Jewish
      people. Hopefully the introspection will allow for improvement on a
      global scale, and next year instead of mourning we can join together
      in celebrating a peaceful world.

      Have a meaningful fast!