Jewish music from Sharon, Massachusetts

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2003

      I'm writing this on a train heading back from a weekend in
      the beautiful town of Sharon, a tree-filled suburb of Boston. This
      is a wonderful community if you're ever looking to get away from the
      city, and it's also home to some great Jewish music, including a
      cappella group Kol Tefilah (they also travel to NY: see
      http://www.koltefilah.org) and incredible composer and musician
      Daniel Gil: see review I wrote last year for his album "Soul
      Calling" at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/message/15

      Tonight, Monday, July 7 at 8:30pm I'll be
      teaching "Practical Prayer and Synagogue Skills" at the Old Broadway
      Synagogue, half-block east of Broadway between 125 & 126 St. This
      week's class focuses on the mystical worlds we go through during
      prayer. For beginners and intermediate level: no prior knowledge
      necessary. For more info, call me at 917-331-0682 or email
      gili@...

      Tuesday, July 8 at 7:30pm "The New Event: an Evening of
      Torah and World Cultures" featuring The Jason Caplan Quartet, world-
      renowned klezmer revivalist Yale Strom, log drummer William Ruiz,
      and martial arts expert Bernard Rosenberg. There will be live
      music, teachings on music and Jewish Law by Jason Caplan, a Tai Chi
      demonstration, and Open Mic. And the most important part is you:
      please bring your art, music, poetry. Admission: $10. Mincha at
      7pm. Contact Leah Fortgang at lstandsforme@... or see
      http://www.jcqonline.com http://www.mimaamakim.org

      Also July 8 at 7:30PM the Queens Jewish Community Council
      Jewish Music Under the Stars summer concert series features Marcos
      Ashkenazi. At Cunningham Park, Union Tpke. @ 196 St. in Fresh
      Meadows, Queens. FREE! For more info, call 718-544-9033

      Wednesday July 9 at 7pm South American Boat Party: a Benefit
      for the Jewish Argentine Relief Commission: providing food, housing,
      clothing, foster-care & orphanage placement to recently impoverished
      Jews of Argentina. 2 levels of live salsa music: Copocabana DJ on
      one level; Jason Caplan Quartet playing Jewish salsa and tango with
      2 latin drummers on another. Boat sails around the NY Harbor,
      leaving from Pier 40, West Side Highway & Houston St. Returns at
      9:30pm and party continues dockside. $36 Minimum Donation (tax
      deductible). Note: food is Glatt Kosher, and there will not be
      mixed dancing. For more info call 917-767-2211 and see
      http://www.boatparty.org

      Thursday July 10, 7:30PM Pey Dalid and Simply Tsfat at The
      Millinery Center Synagogue: 1025 Sixth Ave. Bet. 38th and 39th.
      Price: $12. For more info call 914-755-9558 or see
      http://PeyDalid.com and http://SimplyTsfat.com

      Also July 10 at 8PM Andy Statman plays Jewish music of the
      Mystics at the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4
      St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes refreshments). For more info
      call the shul at 212-242-6425 or see http://www.andystatman.org

      Saturday, July 12 Simply Tsfat will be in Long Beach for a
      shabbaton at the Young Israel of Long Beach, and performing
      Saturday night. Contact Rabbi Solomon at 516-823-4040 and see
      http://SimplyTsfat.com

      Also July 12 at 11pm the Moshav Band @ The Bitter End, 147
      Bleeker St (btwn Sullivan & Thompson). Age: 18+, cost: $10. For
      more info, call the club at 212-673-7030 and see
      http://www.moshavband.com

      Also July 12 at 7:30pm Free concert: Celebrate Brooklyn! At
      the Bandshell in Prospect Park, featuring Chava Alberstein, one of
      Israel's most dynamic musicians and an international folk icon,
      and
      Eve's Women, Jerusalem based fusion of traditional, jazz, and
      world
      styles. For more info call 718-855-7882 or see
      http://www.celebratebrooklyn.org http://www.aviv2.com/chava
      http://www.shamayim.co.il *NOTE: see below*

      Also July 12, at 9:30pm, legendary Israeli rock star David
      Broza plays at Makor, 35 W67 St. Concerts also July 13, 14 at 8pm.
      Tickets for each show are $35, but don't contemplate too long since
      these shows sell out every year! More info: call 212-601-1000 or
      see http://makor.org and http://www.broza.com

      Sunday, July 13, 6-8pm we'll try to have one more kumsitz in
      Central Park before the Three Weeks. The last two have been really
      great. Enter the park from Central Park West at W96 St and turn
      right, or at W93 and turn left, and look for me playing guitar
      between CPW and the Park Drive. All are welcome to join: no cost,
      but bring blankets to sit on and any musical instruments (and if you
      want, some kosher snacks or drinks to share). Any questions, call
      me at 917-331-0682.

      Also July 13 at 7:30pm, is the outdoor musical BBQ for the
      Jewish International Connection in New York (JICNY), a community of
      young professional Jews who hail from around the globe. Bring along
      your musical instruments. Cost: $10 (Note: these events are
      exclusively for Jews from countries other than the US). For
      location info, and all their great social and educational events,
      email Jodi@... and see http://www.jicny.com

      Also July 13 at 8pm David Broza plays at Makor; see Sunday
      info above

      Also July 13, the summer session of music classes begins at
      Makor. Weekly Sunday classes at 12:30pm or 2pm, on singing or
      percussion. Raquy Danziger, internationally acclaimed
      percussionist, teaches both beginner and intermediate classes on the
      Dumbek, to play Middle Eastern rhythms of Sephardic music. Elissa
      Weiss teaches the class on singing: Sephardic niguns, Yiddish
      theater songs, Israeli dance tunes, holiday songs, etc. Makor is at
      35 W67th St. For cost and other info call 212-601-1000 or see
      http://makor.org

      Monday, July 14 at 8pm David Broza plays at Makor; see
      Sunday info above

      Tuesday, July 15 at 7:30PM the Queens Jewish Community
      Council Jewish Music Under the Stars summer concert series features
      Neshama Carlebach. At Cunningham Park, Union Tpke. @ 196 St. in
      Fresh Meadows, Queens. FREE! For more info, call 718-544-9033 or
      see http://neshamacarlebach.com *NOTE: see below*

      Wednesday, July 16, 7-11:30PM Pey Dalid, Gideon Sword, Maury
      Epstein Band, Poets of Mimaamakim, and more! At the Gin Mill: 442
      Amsterdam Ave. bet 81 & 82 St. Price: $10 (portion of proceeds to
      support Israel) http://PeyDalid.com http://www.mauryepstein.com

      Also July 16 at 8pm Metropolitan Klezmer plays a 90-min. set
      with a full 8-piece band, outdoors at the Rock Hall Museum, in
      Lawrence (Five Towns). Bring a lawn chair. (Note: concert
      cancelled in case of bad weather.) For more info call 516-292-9000
      and see http://www.metropolitanklezmer.com *NOTE: see below*

      Thursday, July 17 is the beginning of the period in the
      Jewish calendar known as The Three Weeks, during which we mourn the
      destruction that befell the Jewish people throughout history. There
      is a tradition to refrain from attending live music concerts during
      this time, so I won't be listing any more music events until after
      Tisha B'av, Thursday,August 7. For a list of some of the other
      customs see
      http://www.aish.com/tishabav/tishabavdefault/the_three_weeks.asp

      Friday, July 18 I'll be leading a shabbaton with Isralight,
      in Passaic, NJ (15 miles from NYC). A meaningful, low-pressure
      Shabbat experience with Carlebach-style davening, inspiring and
      interactive learning opportunities in beautiful outdoor settings,
      for couples, singles, old, young, whether you're new to Judaism or
      have been Jewishly connected your whole life (ffb). Cost: $54
      (Special early bird price before July 11th: $36) -- includes home
      hospitality and all Shabbat meals. For more info, call the infoline
      and leave a message at 212-595-5531 or see the online brochure
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carlebachnj/files

      Saturday, July 19 at 9:30pm I'll be singing at a special
      melave malka kumsitz concert, appropriate for the Three Weeks (a
      cappella), as the culmination of the Isralight shabbaton in
      Passaic. See above for more info.

      *NOTE: For all the above events so notated, the issue of Kol Isha
      may be applicable; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more
      info*

      Thoughts on Indepenence: I wasn't in NYC to celebrate July 4
      this year, so I missed most of the festivities. But I was still
      able to reflect on all that American democracy has done for the
      Jews. And whatever your particular political position, the US has
      been Israel's greatest friend and ally throughout the last five and
      a half turbulent decades, so we owe a tremendous debt of gratitude.
      However, I think it's important to remember that the open secular
      society we live in, while giving us complete physical freedom, can
      also have a negative effect on our spiritual well-being, and we have
      to be vigilant that the more materialistic elements of American
      culture do not erode our religious beliefs and practices. With the
      greatest freedom comes the danger of losing our distinctly Jewish
      values. I pray for the day when the whole world will have true
      spiritual freedom all nations of the world to fulfill their divine
      purpose.

      Have a great week!