Sunday filled with Jewish music

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2003

      This weekend there's a lot of great Jewish music going on.
      I guess it's the last chance before the summer really hits. I'll be
      performing to dedicate a new Torah scroll, and then I'll head over
      to Central Park for the kumsitz. Maybe this week we won't be rained
      out. Enjoy!

      Tonight, Friday June 27 at 8pm I will be leading a Shabbat
      dinner with lots of singing for JICNY, Jewish International
      Connection New York, a community of young professional foreign Jews
      who hail from countries around the globe. If you're from another
      country, check out all of their great social and educational events:
      http://www.jicny.com

      Also June 27 at 7:30pm deep in the Heart of Chelsea, a
      Community Unites: Infusing the Spirit of Shabbat Once Again within
      the Stones of an Ancient Synagogue, through Melody and Mystical
      Traditions. Carlebach style Davening followed by a delicious home
      cooked Shabbos meal prepared by Rebbetzin Bankhalter. At the
      Chelsea Shul, 236 West 23rd St, b/w 7th Ave and 8th Ave. For more
      information call: 917-613-1678.

      Saturday, June 28 at 9:15am I'll be leading the davening at
      the Old Broadway Synagogue, half-block east of Broadway between 125
      & 126 St. Followed by hot Kiddush! Come be a part of re-jew-venating
      the last remaining shul in Harlem. Check it out online:
      http://www.geocities.com/oldbroadway_shul

      Also June 28, at 9pm Makor presents a night of Reggae-
      infused Jewish music. Featuring David Gould's band "Ad-nai and I"
      reinterpreting traditional Hebrew songs with reggae and dub. Also
      performing: Mattissiyahu and DJ Anaan. Hasidic reggae like you
      never imagined! Tickets: $12. Makor is at 35 W67th St. For more
      info call 212.601.1000 or see http://makor.org and see my review at

      Also June 28 a concert to benefit the victims and their
      families of the bombing at Mike's Place blues bar in Tel-Aviv on
      April 30. At the Bowery Poetry Club, 308 Bowery @ Bleecker St.
      SoulFarm headlines, and three other bands, regulars on the NY (non-
      Jewish) club scene: Triplefreak, a rock quartet, will play an
      entirely blues set; Rod Cone Situation and MaMa Gutay, will close
      out the billing. Donations: $10 entrance fee; all proceeds go to
      the Mike's Place Life After fund. More info, call 917-582-6009 or
      see http://mikesplacebars.com and http://soulfarm.net

      Sunday, June 29 at 2pm a Torah scroll will be completed at
      276 Riverside #1D (entrance on W100 St) and then at 4pm we'll bring
      it across the street to the Bais Hamedrash Minchas Chinuch (Babbad
      shteeble), 321 W100 St. It is a huge celebration whenever a Sefer
      Torah is finished, and I'll be there with my guitar to lead the
      dancing in the street. All are welcome to join!

      Also June 29, at 7pm 6-8pm I'm having another kumsitz in
      Central Park, weather permitting. Last week we got rained out, but
      the weather report looks good for this weekend. Enter the park from
      Central Park West at W96 St and turn right, or at W93 and turn left,
      and look for me playing guitar between CPW and the Park Drive. All
      are welcome to join: no cost, but bring blankets to sit on and any
      musical instruments (and if you want, some kosher snacks or drinks
      to share). Any questions, call me at 917-331-0682. Hope to see you
      there!

      Also June 29 at 8:30pm, following up on the phenomenal
      response of the Meaningful Life Center's Lag B'Omer event, celebrate
      the New Moon of Tammuz: explore the place where Heaven and Earth
      meet with Live Music, Guided Meditation and Painting. Dress to
      Mess! Women only. In Soho: Spring Studio, 64 Spring St. (#6 train:
      Lafayette). $10 at the door. For more info call 718-774-6448 and
      see flyer at http://www.meaningfullife.com

      Also June 29, 11am-7pm the First Annual Makor Marathon
      featuring emerging Jewish artists in film, music, spoken word, art,
      theater, video, and performance. With a $15 all-day pass enjoy
      music on the hour, spoken word on the half, and film, theater,
      readings, gallery art, and performance all day. Gallery launches at
      1, 3, 5 PM. Be the first in line for a Jazz Brunch at 11AM. At 1pm
      Samuel Thomas performs a solo piece (saxophones, electronica, and
      vocals) a Yemenite inspired reading of Tehillim. Call 212.601.1000
      and see http://www.makor.org

      Also June 29, at 7pm Benefit Concert in Long Island to
      replace Israeli ambulances destroyed by Middle East violence, at the
      Great Neck South High School, 341 Lakeville Rd. Featuring renowned
      South African Sydenham Shul Men's Choir, in choral arrangements that
      possess hints of African rhythm, both traditional and modern.
      Embrace the Power of Music as a Response to Violence. Tickets: $36
      (tax deductible corporate sponsorships available). Call 866-583-
      8539 and see http://www.magendavidadom.org

      Also June 29 at 8PM Beit Miriam New Moon Gathering with
      Mindy Ribner: Rosh Chodesh Tammuz Celebration, Meditation & Drum
      Circle. Open Mic. Bring instruments. Bring your poetry. Earn Your
      Blessings & Renew Your World. At Rasa Yoga Center, 246 W80 St. 7th
      floor, bet Bway & West End. Cost: $12. More info, call 888-389-
      9600 or email cubits@...

      Also June 29, at 1:30PM and 3PM, Tonic's weekly Klezmer
      Brunch features Klez Que C'est? Brooklyn's best loved cafe klezmer
      band. Cost: $10 each set or $15 for both. The bar is located above
      the former Kedem winery at 107 Norfolk St (btwn Rivington and
      Delancey, near F train) and can be reached at 212-358-7503 or
      http://www.tonic107.com and see above about the band !NOTE: The food
      at Tonic may not be strictly kosher: consult your local Rabbinic
      authority!

      Monday June 30 at 8PM Andy Statman plays Jewish bluegrass at
      the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near W4 St.
      Suggested donation: $10 (includes refreshments). He'll be heading
      to Greece for a wedding, so the next show won't be until Thursday,
      July 10. For more info call the shul at 212-242-6425 or see
      http://www.andystatman.org

      Also June 30 Don Slovin's Jamprov in Park Slope, at the
      Brooklyn Lyceum, 227 4th Ave. Workshop at 6:30pm; show at 8pm. For
      more info call 866-gowanus or see http://gowanus.com and to be in
      the show email Don at donslovin@...

      Sunday July 6, Tonic's weekly Klezmer Brunch features
      KlezSka, Jewish-Jamaican Klezmer-Ska fusion with a rockin' big
      band! See info above for Tonic and check out http://www.KlezSka.com

      Tuesday, July 8 at 7:30pm "The New Event: an Evening of
      Torah and World Cultures" featuring The Jason Caplan Quartet, world-
      renowned klezmer revivalist Yale Strom, log drummer William Ruiz,
      and martial arts expert Bernard Rosenberg. There will be live
      music, teachings on music and Jewish Law by Jason Caplan, a Tai Chi
      demonstration, and Open Mic. At the Bridge Shul in Washington
      Heights, 179th and Pinehurst. Admission: $10. Mincha at 7pm. See
      http://www.jcqonline.com or http://www.mimaamakim.org

      Thursday July 10, 7:30PM Pey Dalid and Simply Tsfat at The
      Millinery Center Synagogue: 1025 Sixth Ave. Bet. 38th and 39th.
      Price: $12 http://PeyDalid.com and http://SimplyTsfat.com

      Saturday, July 12 Simply Tsfat will be in Long Beach for a
      shabbaton at the Young Israel of Long Beach, and performing
      Saturday night. Contact Rabbi Solomon at 516-823-4040 and see
      http://SimplyTsfat.com

      Have a great Shabbos!