Jewish Music commemorating the Torah

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2003
      Dear friends,

      Tomorrow night, Thursday June 5, is the first night of
      Shavuos, commemorating the receiving of the Torah 3315 years ago at
      Mount Sinai. There is a custom to stay up all night learning, and
      synagogues all over the city will be running special programs with
      Torah classes all night. Wherever you may be, check out your local
      shul and be part of accepting the mission for the Jewish people. If
      you're on the Upper West Side, see below for the schedule of
      programs that I'll be running with Isralight.

      Tonight Wednesday, June 4 at 7:30pm Aaron Razel in his last
      concert before going back to Israel. At the Millinery Centre
      Synagogue, 1025 6th Avenue at 38th St. Also featuring Gideon
      Sword. Cost: 12$ For more info call the shul at 212-921-1580. See
      http://www.gideonsword.org and check out the review of Aaron's
      lastest album I wrote for last week's email:

      Also June 4, Elem benefit concert to help Israeli Youth in
      Distress, in memory of bomb victim Marla Bennet. Doors open at
      6:30PM; Program starts at 7PM. Starring C Lanzbom and Noah Solomon
      of Soulfarm, and Neshama Carlebach. At Central Synagogue, Lexington
      Avenue at 55th St. Keynote Speaker: Israeli Consul General
      Ambassador Alon Pinkus, and others. Tickets: $150; $75 for non-
      profit workers; $54 for students (includes kosher buffet &
      cocktails). Only a few tickets left!!! For more info, call 212-787-
      3337 and see the flyer at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/files/events *NOTE: see
      below*

      Also June 4 at 7pm gala concert featuring the greats of
      Yiddish music and the all star Klezmer orchestra, a fundraiser for
      Folksbiene, the only professional Yiddish theater in America. At
      92nd Street Y, Lexington Ave & E92 St. Tickets begin at $75. For
      more info call 212-213-2120 or see http://www.folksbiene.org *NOTE:
      see below*

      Thursday June 5 Isralight presents Rav Binny Freedman at
      WSIS, 120 W76 St. There will be dinner at 9:30pm; RSVP by tonight
      with your name and credit card ($25) -- either email me (reply to
      this message) or leave on the machine: 212-595-5531. No cost or
      reservations needed for the rest of the program: beginning 11pm all-
      night learning/singing/storytelling 'Tish' over coffee and cake.
      Check out the flyer online:

      Friday, June 6 at 9:15am I'll be leading the davening and
      reading the Torah at the Old Broadway Synagogue, half-block east of
      Broadway between 125 & 126 St. Followed by hot Kiddush! Come be a
      part of re-jew-venating the last remaining shul in Harlem. Check it
      out online: http://www.geocities.com/oldbroadway_shul

      Friday night, the Isralight program continues at Aish
      Hatorah, 313 W83 St between West End and Riverside. I'll be
      speaking at 7:30pm and then at 8:15 I'll be leading the davening
      with special Kabbalat Shabbat as we move from the holiness of
      Shavuot to the added holiness of Shabbat. Rav Binny Freedman will
      be speaking before maariv: A Time for Peace, and a Time for War
      (Road map or Road Kill: Ancient Jewish Wisdom on Current Events)

      Saturday, June 7 is the culmination of the Isralight Shavuos
      program, at Aish Hatorah, 313 W83 St. At 7pm I'll be speaking
      about "The Torah as Divine mission: can we choose to reject it?"
      Then Minchah (afternoon services) at 7:30 followed at 8pm by
      Shalesheudos (third Shabbat meal) with Rav Binny Freedman -- all are
      welcome -- no reservations necessary. We'll finish at 9:15pm with
      special musical Isralight Havdallah. If you want to experience this
      whole spiritual package along with a five day getaway, check out the
      next Isralight Retreat in the Catskills over Labour Day weekend:
      http://isralight.org

      June 8, at noon, Yale Strom performs with his klezmer group,
      Hot P'stromi, at the 19th Annual Holocaust Gathering At the
      Holocaust Memorial Park, Shore Boulevard & Emmons Ave, at the foot
      of Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn. Free admission. In case of rain,
      goto Reynold Junior HS - Bay Academy, across from Holocaust Memorial
      Park. For more info call 718-743-3636 and see http://thmc.org

      Also June 8, noon-5PM: Fourth Annual CNY Klezmer Fest, in
      Clinton Square, Syracuse. Youth participatory segment 10AM-noon.
      FREE Admission! Vendor items and Kosher food for sale. Scheduled
      performers are local favorites the Keyna Hora Band and Klezmercuse,
      along with the Catskill Klezmorim and the Kling-On Klezmer Band, and
      more. For info, call Sid Lipton at 315-682-8489 or see
      http://www.sjfed.org/klezfest *NOTE: see below*

      Also June 8 at 3pm, as part of their Legacy in Music Series,
      Temple Israel Center of White Plains announces The Klezmer All Star
      Concert. Featuring: Alicia Svigals, Ken Maltz, Henry Sapoznik, Sy
      Kushner, Jeff Warschauer and Marty Confurius. For tickets and
      directions (40 minutes north of Manhattan) call 914-948-2800.

      Tuesday, June 10 and every week 10:30pm-12:30am, Klez Que
      C'est? Brooklyn's best loved cafe klezmer band plays in
      Williamsburg, Brooklyn, at Cafe Moto, 394 Broadway @ Hooper St. (J
      train to Hewes St. G train to Broadway; there's a bicycle hanging
      out front). FREE (tips appreciated). For more info call Jeff
      Perlman at 718-386-3007 or email jeffrey.perlman@...

      Also June 10 at 8pm, Shira Betzibur at Makor, 35 W67 St.
      Come to an Israeli sing-along event with your favorite contemporary
      Israeli songs, led and accompanied by a singer and live band (top
      Israeli musicians living in NY). Song lyrics displayed on
      projectors, conducted mostly in Hebrew. Cost: $15 in advance; $20
      at the door. For more info call 212.601.1000 or see
      http://makor.org *NOTE: see below*

      Wednesday, June 11 at 8pm is the benefit for the Jerusalem
      Camp, which sets up a kosher kitchen each year at the Rainbow
      Gathering feeding thousands of searching souls both physically and
      spiritually. At the Opaline, 35 avenue A in Manhattan. First, a film
      will be shown of the Rainbow Gathering, and then the music will
      start at 9:30 with the 13th Tribe, reggae singer Mattisyahu, Rav
      Shmuel Skaist, The Iration Squad. The show will be followed by a
      late night drum circle and acoustic jam with reggae great Rocker T.
      Cost: $12. For more info email Emunah613@... and see
      http://jerusalemcamp.org

      Monday, June 16 and June 23 8-9pm, Jason Caplan giving a new
      Music and Halacha Series, following the success of the first one
      last month. In Washington Heights, at Mount Sinai Jewish Center,
      135 Bennett Ave @ 187th St. The class: learn methods to enhance the
      study of Torah, prayer, and Divine Service through melody and song,
      based on Rav Soloveichik's Halachic Man. Suggested donation: $2 to
      cover refreshments.

      Also June 16 at 6:30pm Chabad of the West Side has their
      annual gala dinner featuring Rabbi Lau, the chief rabbi of Israel,
      and the music of the Hamsa Boys, at Gotham Hall, Broadway and W36
      St. For more info, call 212-864-5010 x11 or email
      rsk@... and see http://www.hamsaboys.com

      Wednesday, June 18 10:30pm-12:30am Klez Que C'est? playing
      at Cafe Steinhof in Park Slope: 422 7th Ave @ 14th St. F train to
      7th Ave. FREE (tips appreciated). See above

      Thursday, June 19 6pm-11pm a special benefit to raise money
      for the hundreds and thousands of young disabled and wounded Israeli
      victims of terror, founded by the mother of the wounded Dalia
      Shatz. Featuring musician/vocalist Aliza Hava, and guest speakers.
      At Eugene, 27 W24 St. btwn 5th and 6th Ave. Minimum admission: $26
      (more donations accepted). For more info, call 917-658-8215 or
      email firemusicfaerie@... *NOTE: see below*

      *NOTE: For all the above events so notated, the issue of Kol Isha
      may be applicable; consult your local Rabbinic authority for more
      info*

      There's a great new free service to connect Jewish musicians
      with anyone who wants to hire them: booking Jewish music for any
      occasion: parties, weddings, Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, etc. This was
      recently set up by a friend of mine, Shlomo Ressler (a great
      musician in his own right, and one of the 50 most influential Jews
      in America by Jewsweek.com) and it's had a lot of great results
      already. So if you're a Jewish musician or looking to hire one, be
      sure to check this out, and tell them you found it from the NYC
      Jewish music list. Call 866-535-2633 and see
      http://www.bookitjewish.com

      According to our tradition, when the Jewish people were at
      Mount Sinai to receive the Torah, they slept in rather than waking
      up early to accept the ultimate Divine gift, the very purpose of and
      blueprint for the Creation of the universe. So in our annual
      commemoration of this event, we try to rectify their mistake by
      staying up all night and learning, making ourselves worthy of
      representing the Torah to the world. There are a number of suggested
      passages to study, but really anything that we learn brings us
      closer to the Author and Creator, and brings the world one step
      closer to its state of Redemption. In the merit of our learning,
      may this year be the last time we celebrate Shavuos in an imperfect
      world.

      Have a great Yomtov and a holy Shabbos!