Jewish Music for Pesach Sheni

    Message 1 of 1 , May 16 4:21 PM

      Today, Friday May 16, is the 14th day of the month of Iyar,
      one of the least known Biblical holidays: Pesach Sheni, the second
      Passover. See bottom for full explanation. Tonight, I will be
      leading a Shabbat dinner with lots of singing for JICNY, Jewish
      International Connection New York, a community of young professional
      foreign Jews who hail from countries around the globe. Tonight's
      dinner is sold out, but there are lots of great social and
      educational events coming up. For more info see the website
      http://www.jicny.com

      Monday night, May 19 is Lag Ba'Omer, a holiday that
      according to some opinions breaks the up period of national mourning
      between Passover and Shavuos. As such there will be lots of great
      music events all over the city (to make up for a month's worth of
      missed concerts). For more info see the "No_Music" article on my
      website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/files/essays

      I'm going to be leading the tail end of live music at The
      Vorhand Shteeble, 305 W91 St on the north side of the street between
      West End and Riverside. Lag BaOmer Party from 9:15-10:30 pm (I'll
      be getting there after 9:45 when I finish teaching "Practical Prayer
      and Synagogue Skills" at the Old Broadway Synagogue, 15 Old
      Broadway, just east of Broadway btwn 125 & 126 St. Class starts
      8:15pm. Come join us! Call me for more info: 917-331-0682

      Also May 19 Andy Statman back for a special Lag b'Omer
      performance at the Greenwich Village Synagogue, 53 Charles St near
      W4 St. Suggested donation: $10 (includes refreshments). For more
      info call the shul at 212-242-6425 or see http://www.andystatman.org

      Also May 19 at 7:30PM Light Your Holy Candle & Light Up The
      World: Lag B'Omer Celebration, Meditation, Music, Drum Circle & Open
      Mic, at The Sufi Book Store Gathering Room, 227 West Broadway
      between Franklin and White St. 3 blocks below Canal Street. (1 or 9
      train to Franklin St; A, C or E to Canal St.) Bring your
      instruments. $12 (RSVP by 5/15 $10). Meditation spiritually guided
      by Mindy Ribner, Director of Beit Miriam, teacher of Jewish
      Meditation for 20 years, approved by Reb Shlomo Carlebach to teach
      Jewish kabbalistic meditation. For more info call Elyakeem at 888-
      389-9600 or email cubits@...

      Also May 19 Soulfarm and Neshama Carlebach playing together
      at The Lion's Den, 214 Sullivan St. between Bleecker and Thompson
      and W3rd St. Neshama: 9-10PM; Soulfarm: 10:15-11:15. Tickets: $20
      in advance; $25 at the door. For more info, see
      http://www.cegmusic.com/lionsden and http://www.soulfarm.net and
      http://neshamacarlebach.com !NOTE: Kol Isha may be applicable here;
      consult your local Rabbinic authority!

      Also May 19 at 8pm Chabad On Washington Square is hosting a
      Lag BaOmer BBQ, bonfire and concert featuring sensational Chassidic
      Reggae Music performed by Matisyahu. At the Chelsea shul, 236 West
      23rd St. (between 7th and 8th). $15 per person. For more information
      call 212-674-1950

      Also May 19 at 8:30pm for women only: Circle of Fire, an
      Interactive Drumming, Singing, Dancing Experience, Interwoven with
      Mystical Insights. At P.S.122 - Performance Space, 150 First Avenue
      at E9 St. Bring drums and percussion instruments. $10 (light
      refreshments served). Contact Neria Cohen at The Meaningful Life
      Center: 718-774-6448 and see http://www.meaningfullife.com

      Tuesday, May 20, 4:30-8:30pm I'll be performing at the
      Carlebach Shul Community-Wide Sefirah-Trail & Lag B'Omer Village.

      This year, we'll celebrate Lag B'Omer in a creative and unique
      way
      in Riverside Park, 81st Street (Rain location Carlebach Shul 305 W
      79th St. West End & Riverside). Kids program during the first half,
      and then my band playing Jewish rock, ending with a late night
      kumsitz. Bring instruments. Free of charge! Food for sale. For
      more info call the shul at 212-580-2391 or see the flyer on my
      website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/files/events

      Also May 20 Congregation Aish Kodesh of Woodmere has their
      annual Lag B'omer hilula at the Young Israel of Lawrence
      Cedarhurst. Mincha at 7pm, followed by inspiring words of Torah
      from Rav Weinberger, and concert with Eitan Katz, one of the newest
      starts of Jewish music. See album review below. For more info,
      call the shul at 516-374-8596 or see http://aishkodesh.org

      Also May 20 5:30-8:30 Chabad of the West Side has their
      annual Lag BaOmer Barbecue, 101 W92 St at Columbus Ave. Starting
      with special children's program. Contact: chabad@...
      or call 212-864-5010

      Also May 20 at 7:30 PM Bsamim performing its last NY show
      this season, at Manhattan Day School, 310 W75 St (b/w West End &
      Riverside). Large crowd and social scene expected. $15, Falafel
      and other refreshments available. Opening act by the MDS choir.
      For more info see http://www.bsamim.com

      Also May 20 7-11pm a huge celebration: music, poetry, Torah,
      dancing, and more, in a beautiful shul, with a great welcoming
      community, of artists, musicians, philosophers, singles and
      families!!! Concert with Jason Caplan Quartet and Pey Dalid. Also
      featuring the poets of Mimaamakim Journal. At The Bridge Shul,
      179th and Pinehurst Washington Heights (take the "A" to 175, walk up
      to 179th, make a left and go up to Pinehurst, shul is on the corner,
      walk to the side door). Cost: $10. See http://www.peydalid.com and
      http://www.jcqonline.com and http://www.mimaamakim.org

      Wednesday, May 21 6PM-8:30PM An Evening of Elegance and
      Grace for singles in their 20's only. Hot and Cold Buffet, Open
      Bar, Dessert Station, Raffle Drawing. Music by Barock, starring
      Moshe Stareshefsky and Yitzy Spinner. For security reasons, advance
      reservations and business attire suggested. Photo ID required.
      Limited to first 50 men and 50 women. For more info, contact
      212.613.8300.

      Thursday, May 22, 7PM, The Second Annual Showcase of Jewish
      American Music, see a variety of the best musical talent of the
      Jewish community: C & Noah of Soulfarm, Michael Elias, Jake! A
      Cappella, and Robin Spielberg. At The Center for Jewish History, 15
      W16th St. $15 For more info call 917-606-8200 or see flyer at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCJewishMusic/files/events

      Sunday, May 25 at 8pm Young Israel Beth El of Boro Park
      presents Sefira cantorial concert, with Cantors Benzion Miller, Ari
      Klein, and Moshe Schuloff. Price: $20; $25 at the door. Buy
      tickets at Judaica stores all over the city, or call 646-387-7198

      Jewish Music Album of the Week: Shlomo and Eitan Katz, two
      musical brothers from LA, released Biglal Avos, a follow up to their
      incredible debut Eilecha. There 9 original tracks, and two covers,
      one a soulful Haisa Li from the Rabbi's Sons, and the other Shlomo
      Carlebach's "Chemdas Hayamim" done bluegrass style (with Meir
      Solomon from the Moshav Band sitting in on mandolin). The originals
      are all excellent and serve to cement the Katz's unique developing
      style. The title track topped the charts last year in the Holy
      Land. My easy favorite is Kol Dodi - Eishes Chayil -- great
      harmonies. For info on how to get a copy, email eitankatz@...
      or catch Eitan Katz performing live at Aish Kodesh Tuesday night
      (see above for info).

      According to Chapter 9 in the book of BMidbar (Numbers) when
      the Jewish people observed Passover a year after they left Egypt,
      some people complained to Moses that they were ritually impure and
      wouldn't be able to bring the sacrifice. Because they were so
      desperate to fulfill the commandment, a new holiday was created a
      month later for all who were impure or too far away. I think we can
      learn something deep from the latter: whenever we feel too distant
      from spirituality, we should always remember that we're given a
      second chance to come close.

      Have a great Shabbos and a joyous Lag Ba'Omer